• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Budget HDTV

Virtunate    0

My Dad is looking to buy an HDTV. His price cieling is $1700 CAD. Could you guys recommend some nice HDTV's? All of the one's I've found only have 1080i. Can you get 1080p in this pricerange?

Thanks in Advance.

richardsim7    115

1080p's are the most expensive HDTVs, so no, not really lol

I'd recommend Samsungs, great LCDs for the price :)

-Rich-

bangbang023    31

We need information like size screen you're looking for. The only 1080i sets you're going to find are CRT's and one damn plasma, so I'm not sure you saw too many 1080i sets.

Tomo    577

You've got no chance of finding a 1080p especially in that price bracket! 1080i for $1700 CAD / ?750 is not bad!

Virtunate    0

He's looking for, oh I don't know, 32" and above.

P!P    25

Yes, you can get a 1080p for that price. I forgot who it was, but one of the retailers is selling a 37" 1080p TV for $1,600 USD or something like that. Don't know if you could get it in Canada.

cool_case    0

Yes, you can get a 1080p for that price. I forgot who it was, but one of the retailers is selling a 37" 1080p TV for $1,600 USD or something like that. Don't know if you could get it in Canada.

Westinghouse LVM-37w3 is roughly $1,000 US. Great monitor - love mine. Check out the huge thread on it in the AVS Forum. This will put you at the last page of 182 pages. Checking out the first and the last several pages will give you a good idea about the set.

Doesn't have an HD tuner built in, but you don't need it if you've got cable or satellite as they'll provide the tuner box. It's 1080p, has lots of inputs, decent remote, and is calibrated well. Had a professional calibrator come out to look at mine yesterday. He said it holds up as well or better than the bigger name brands.

Virtunate    0

Okay, another Quick Question.

Dad has already ruled out Plasma. Says there throwaway machines.

DLP or LCD?

bangbang023    31

Okay, another Quick Question.

Dad has already ruled out Plasma. Says there throwaway machines.

DLP or LCD?

And why are they throw away machines? Tell him to stop reading the spooky stories. DLP's have a bulb that needs replacement every 4,000 - 6,000 hours and LCD's will need a new backlight over time.

PsyOpWarlord    34

Westinghouse LVM-37w3 is roughly $1,000 US. Great monitor - love mine. Check out the huge thread on it in the AVS Forum. This will put you at the last page of 182 pages.

I have the same monitor here sitting on my desk and love it. I have my computer and XBox360 hooked up 1080p. Once of the nice things about the monitor is the VGA, DVI, HDMI and Component connections ALL support 1080p input signals.

Shoulda seen everyones faces (jaws dropped) when I showed up to a friends house for a LAN party and plopped this 37" monster on a table and began to set up shop. The wives were upset because not all thier husbands are asking for one after seeing mine.

Konstanov    58

Might want to read this recent article at CNET.

HDTVs

Joel    27

All of the one's I've found only have 1080i. Can you get 1080p in this pricerange?

They display 1080i or they accept 1080i? There's a huge difference in those 2 answers.

Try and find a Sharp LC-32DA5U or the 37" equivalent (think it's LC-37DB5U). The prices on both dropped dramatically.