• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Video: Wii Bootloader Created?

jerzdawg    338

looks real... only thing i can think of is if he replaced the burned disc with the real one when he zoomed in on "boot loader"... or he had a 2nd wii out of range.... guess we'll find out in a few weeks...

IceBrewedBeer    0

Looks cool, hopefully this it true and not a hoax.

The video could've done without the music, IMO.

Harreh    9

Guess we'll find out on new years then! :)

micro    109

Doubt its real, using a DL disk and to my knowing i didnt think that there was a way to rip WII games yet..

morficus    0

hhm... I hope it's real

FryzDog    0

I doubt that it is real, but it would be nice.

morficus    0

Doubt its real, using a DL disk and to my knowing i didnt think that there was a way to rip WII games yet..

I'm pretty sure the Wii just uses DVD's, but has some sort of proprietary file system for games.

I'll try poping a Wii game into my box once I get home and see what it says.

matthewf01    0

Sadly I call fake.

Theres a pretty obvious fade/cut in the video itself, shortly after zooming in to view the "Wii bootloader" image, then zooming out to view the whole screen as the screen of the tv turns black... then the whole picture fades.

Then the ol' switcheroo.

morficus    0

fake or not.. this does bring up an interesting topic: What is being done to try to make backups of Wii games?

This link is the most concrete information I could find regarding that topic.

Inplode    0

i hope its real :D

matthewf01    0

fake or not.. this does bring up an interesting topic: What is being done to try to make backups of Wii games?

This link is the most concrete information I could find regarding that topic.

Yea, found that site a few weeks ago...doesn't really seem to contain much legitimate information, as it mostly seems to pertain to Gamecube with a little 'find and replace' going on.

Of course I'm interested too in the prospect of game backups for Wii...but I have a feeling it will turn out like the PSP scene.

Someone will certainly find some kinda exploit, probably loading something in through the Photo Channel, then Nintendo will issue a firmware fix to block it, and some people will block the updates, but Nintendo will add new features that you 'just gotta have'.... and so on.

DarkSim905    1

There is a chance this is real with the exception that, everytime there's a video like this for fame, people mess up. They cut the video, or they turn on/off the TV during those cuts. when you turn on a console, your TV shouldn't tell you what channel it's on if it's been on for a while ... (See ~ 1:20 in Vid) ...

I also don't see why people bother making videos without showing how it was done, all in one shot...

NeoNut    30

Fake. This is one of the comments in youtube:

The best part is how you didn't flash your second Wii up to the new firmware. You know, the one that shows "Wii Menu" at the bottom of the channels.

If you check the 2 wii menus before and after loading the "boot loader" they are different.

morficus    0

Fake. This is one of the comments in youtube:

If you check the 2 wii menus before and after loading the "boot loader" they are different.

wow.. you're right...

he prolly had a 2nd Wii behind the TV and had a friend swap cables at one point

LAME!! :angry:

DELTETHISACCOUNT    0

Theres a massive fadeout right before 1:20. So obvious.

/EDIT: Nvm, the environment gets brighter when the screen is black. Sigh, I just don't understand HDTV.

But what if it really is real? What if the bootloader temporarily degrades your firmware in order to run the backup? Iono, I don't even own a Wii. :'(

Edited by Ruiz

akme    0

shame its fake...shame hes left the zelda box infront of the tv as well hahaha

Lingwo    490

It looks fake to me, also how did he manage to dump Zelda?

From what i've seen the only game that has been dumped and might be real is Red Steel and that was only a few days ago.

MadFerIt    0

As everyone said, this is most definitely a fake. Not even a well-done fake (yet so many people are believing it sadly).

This is a simple case of a pathetic person with too much time on their hands, who makes an image saying Wii Bootloader, slaps it on his SD card, records himself booting the Wii up, going to the photo channel, and showing via a thumbnail the image he created.

Then he simply stops the tape, pulls out his dvd-r, and slaps in Zelda. Heads to the photo channel (and here's the humorous part, he doesn't even bother to put the screen back to it's original state with the Wii Bootloader image showing, he actually has it in the "selection" screen instead) and turns his recorder back on.

Oh well.. He has been successful in convincing some people, sad but oh well.

Hooya    0

As everyone said, this is most definitely a fake. Not even a well-done fake (yet so many people are believing it sadly).

This is a simple case of a pathetic person with too much time on their hands, who makes an image saying Wii Bootloader, slaps it on his SD card, records himself booting the Wii up, going to the photo channel, and showing via a thumbnail the image he created.

Then he simply stops the tape, pulls out his dvd-r, and slaps in Zelda. Heads to the photo channel (and here's the humorous part, he doesn't even bother to put the screen back to it's original state with the Wii Bootloader image showing, he actually has it in the "selection" screen instead) and turns his recorder back on.

Oh well.. He has been successful in convincing some people, sad but oh well.

Actually, there's no cut in the video. There are two Wiis. One has a different firmware version as pointed out by others, you can see the difference in the menu.

It would make sense to re-boot the machine using a bootloader program, but this guy didn't do it. My guess is that there are two Wiis connected to his AV1 input via and AV switcher. When the guy clicks on the photo someone else switches the AV switch and boots up the Wii (the timing is actually quite bad here). That other Wii has the legit disk in it.

The biggest flaw is that this was made before anyone was able to make a backup of the disks in the first place. The guy would have been talking up that technology before talking up his "bootloader".

mundox    0

Well I call it a fake, just to be sure I'll wait 'till jan 1st... is not like you lose something for waiting and seeing if it's real or not :p

Hooya    0

Well, it's a very small .jpg file that loads fine in Windows. I'm almost completely positive that it is not really a bootloader, but just an graphic. Is there a way to check a .jpg file for information not related to the image?

testing123    0

Haha Status: Resident one post wonder.

Yea the 2.0 downgrader for PSP was a gif file. But yes it does seem to be an oridinary jpeg file. I personally am not going to risk it on my Wii. It is up on a few different torrent sites and there seems to be a few seeders. However there is no info about it on the wii mod/hack sites.

thestephman    0

Hi, I risked my Wii, its a complete total hoax, doesn't work worth a crap, doesn't even do a thing, open wii pictures, click the picture...just enlarges it. it's all a big FAKE!

Sorry to disappoint anyone