Critique my system before I spend $2000 to build

I have nothing against the Seasonic PSU (I'd own one if I could afford it), but if you don't want to spend quite so much you might want to consider the Enhance ENS-0565 for $101. I believe Enhance makes Silverstone's PSU's, which are known for their quality. That and a 7950GT will only put you over by ~$390 as opposed to $500.

OK how about a 600W Seasonic PSU and a 7950 GT? Does that sound alright? It put the price up to almost $2,500 im just hoping I can justify the cost..

If you are going to spend that much money for a DX 9.0c card, mine as well wait a while for DX 10 cards or get the 7600GT and upgrade next year to a DX10 card. There is absolutely no need to spend extra money on a card that has outdated technology (in terms of DX and future games based on it) once 2007 hits.

If you are going to spend that much money for a DX 9.0c card, mine as well wait a while for DX 10 cards or get the 7600GT and upgrade next year to a DX10 card. There is absolutely no need to spend extra money on a card that has outdated technology (in terms of DX and future games based on it) once 2007 hits.

That's a good point L3thal. Once the DX10 cards are out, easy to come by, and there are more than 1 choice; it will be much more affordable and long-lasting.

I think you should buy the 7600GT now and then upgrade later on when the DX10 cards are cheaper and more expansive. :)

That's a good point L3thal. Once the DX10 cards are out, easy to come by, and there are more than 1 choice; it will be much more affordable and long-lasting.

I think you should buy the 7600GT now and then upgrade later on when the DX10 cards are cheaper and more expansive. :)

:yes:

Ok... right. So you are implying that everything including Seasonic, Asus, Abit, DFI, MSI, and all the big name companies are at the bottom end of quality? I am sorry but over 50% of the things in your computer are based off those countries (Especially motherboards)

I was only referring to PSUs, not other components...

Looks good! I think 550 PSU is a bit risky, possibly go for a 650/700 and make sure it is a good brand like Tagon. Value PSUs WILL destroy you're system (I learnt the hard way)

Nah, the PSU you have should be fine, IMO PSU's are waaaay overhyped

And get the so-so 7600GT now and upgrade to the midrange DX10 parts when they come out next year

I built a system for a friend with the P180, with stock cooling it was very quiet, a lot quieter than my Tsunami. I know it has a lot of room for more fans though too. The fans it comes with have hign-medium-low switches on them so you can change their speed for quiet/performance also. I highly recommend the case, and I wished that I had bought it instead now that I have seen both of them. :(

I built a system for a friend with the P180, with stock cooling it was very quiet, a lot quieter than my Tsunami. I know it has a lot of room for more fans though too. The fans it comes with have hign-medium-low switches on them so you can change their speed for quiet/performance also. I highly recommend the case, and I wished that I had bought it instead now that I have seen both of them. :(

Lets go over this one more time - right now, this is what the system is:

- Antec P180 Silver Case

- Seasonic S12-550W Energy Plus Power Supply

- Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Motherboard

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU

- 2GB OCZ Platinum XTC Revision 2 Dual Channel Memory Kit

- EVGA E-GEFORCE 7950 GT 256MB Video Card

- Hauppauge WinTV 150 PVR w/MCE Remote

- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum

- 2x Seagate Barracuda 320GB Hard Drives

- 2x Seagate Barracuda 250GB Hard Drives

- 2x Dual Layer DVD?RW/CD-RW Drives

There are 2 things I'm debating on still:

- RAM. I've been hearing that OCZ has had some issues with 965P chipset based boards as far as voltage is concerned, and don't know whether to go with the OCZ stuff (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19337&vpn=OCZ2P800R22GK&manufacture=OCZ%20Technology) or a 2GB Dual Channel kit from "G.SKILL" (which I've never heard of before, but the reviews on Newegg seem to be pretty darn good... - http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...acture=G.SKILL)

- What wattage power supply am I going to need to power this rig? I've been told the Seasonic 550W should do me fine and others saying go for higher wattage.

Help! (And let this be the last time I ever stay this far behind on PC hardware!) :pinch:: :pinch::

The OCZ memory problems with the board were:

The memory issues were all with Firmware revisions prior to F4. You are

likely to have F4 thru F6 (the latest, I think), and therefore no

particular problem. But the only way to know for sure is to try it.

Source

And that PSU should work, Seasonic is good and 550W should be enough I think.

EDIT: Here is a PSU calculator that you might use to get some kind of idea.

I still recommend getting a 7600GT instead and then upgrading later to a DX10 card when the prices drop.

Source

I still recommend getting a 7600GT instead and then upgrading later to a DX10 card when the prices drop.

QFT. Save the money now so you can spend it later on something better.

Source

Thanks for the information :) As for a DX10 card I'm not looking into that until the cheaper ones come out, maybe the generation after that - also waiting for some good games before I do so. Pretty sure the 7950 GT will do me for now at least, I'm mostly concerned about UT2007 (I'm a UT nut)

Thanks for heads up :D

EDIT: OMFG!!!! I WANT ONE OF THOSE BIG CASES WITH THE BIG FO FAN IN THE FRONT!!! Everyone check out that link!

OnTopic: All looks great, although I would change the PSU as suggested.

Wow didnt know you could get a jet engine attatched to a computer case...

I would recommend an X1950 XT over the 7950 GT and Seasonic make great psus. 550 watt is more than enough, you could even get a 450 or 500 and be fine.

Yeah, if you're not getting the 8800 then an X1950XT would be better than any 7series short of 7950GX2... but honestly, get a something like a 7900GS (about $175) now and upgrade to the DX10 stuff next year.

One last question - how well do you think this system will handle Windows Vista 64-bit? I haven't really gotten my feet wet with 64-bit Windows before except on a slow and almost useless Dell test machine.

If you are looking for a different PSU I highly recoomend Xclio. Despite what many people on here will say about Tagan, Antec, etc. those are not the only good brands. I have used Xclio PSUs in all of my builds and they have been stable and rock solid every time. Every review I can find is a good review; hence why I decided to try Xclio instead, and I have never been let down.

Don't know about their Psus, but they make great cases :cool:

I just got their newest one for my new PC, the one with the two big blue-lit 250mm fans :woot:

Very efficient cooling, and very quiet as well!

For Psus, I can recommend the Listan be quiet Straight Power 600W one:

http://www.be-quiet.net/be-quiet.net/index...&StoryID=14

For Ram, I'd rather recommend the G.Skill PC2-6400 w/ 4-4-4-12 :cool:

For the graphics card, I'd take a X1950 Pro which has the best price/performance ratio right now, even a bit better than the X1950XT.