Advice on 32" Sony KDL-32V2000

I'm looking at getting a new TV (well, the first TV i've ever bought actually!) and i was hoping for some advice/information about a few things.

I was looking at the Sony Bravia 32" LCD-TV KDL-32V2000 as it's within my current price range and the size I want (bigger is probably better, but not so much suited to me and where it'll be). It only has one HDMI Input, but will that be much of a problem for me? Does the set look quite good? Is the price alright for what i'd be getting - i know you can get cheaper sets from other makes, but would I be better off spending a little extra on the Sony set? I'm basically looking at having the following set up to begin with:

A FreeView box (from what i've read, normal tv won't look very good on an HD set, but is that at higher screen sizes?)

XBox 360 (when i buy one)

PS2 and some time in the future PS3 (depending on how it does and when it launches in Europe)

I'd ideally like to get some kind of surround sound set up, but i don't really know much about this. I have a seperates system (Amplifier and CD Player) with two sets of speakers (one set of floorstanding B&W's and one set of Tannoy Shelf speakers), but i don't think thats particularly suited to having it all combined at the moment.

Also, what sort of cables should I be looking at getting? I'm used to the red/white/yellow from the PS2 and scart leads, but i've read about component and composite (one of which is the red/white, correct?) and HDMI.

If you need any more info then let me know :)

It only has one HDMI Input, but will that be much of a problem for me?

It may become an issue as HDMI becomes the standard.

A FreeView box (from what i've read, normal tv won't look very good on an HD set, but is that at higher screen sizes?)

SDTV is going to leave you feeling a bit disappointed. You definitely want to get the HD box. It's noticeable at any size

Also, what sort of cables should I be looking at getting? I'm used to the red/white/yellow from the PS2 and scart leads, but i've read about component and composite (one of which is the red/white, correct?) and HDMI.

For the PS2 you should use component video. For ps3, you would use component video or hdmi. For Xbox 360 you would use component video or vga. Freeview would be component video or hdmi. Remember, you need to remember if you dedicate two devices to component video, then the next device has to have hdmi as an option and yada yada.

Thanks for the reply bangbang, i appreciate it.

In regards to the lack of HDMI inputs, would it be possible to somewhere down the line get a switch box for HDMI? I'm hoping that in a few years i'll be earning a solid wage anyway so could always replace this TV with a newer TV with more connectivity options (and give this set to my parents, who aren't likely to need anything other than a Scart input or two).

An HD box is quite dear at the moment. Sky HD costs ?300 for the box, and then ?10 on top of whatever subscription you have (about another ?20-30/month) so i'll just have to put up with the SDTV until prices drop enough to make it more realistic.

If i've read the spec/reviews right, this TV comes with freeview built in, which would take away one extra input from being necessary, leaving me with just the xbox and ps2/3 which should be alright with what i've got for now i'm guessing?

HDMI switchers are already available for various prices, so that's definitely a possibility. Really, the lack of more HDMI inputs is the only strike against the set. It's a great unit otherwise.

Cool, i think i'll look into getting it after the new year (delivery isn't likely to arrive before then, and i may be able to get it cheaper on tottenham court road in london - or at least, with something thrown in for cheap/free).

From your other posts in this forum bangbang, i respect your views so appreciate your advice.

Thanks for the kind words. With work this week, I haven't always been in the mood to talk home theater once I'm off the clock, but I do want to make sure everyone has an idea how to look at things before making their own decision. Good luck with the set. I know you'll enjoy it.

Well, on advice from a guy at work, i'm now looking at the Toshiba 32WLT66. It's about ?300 cheaper, which is a bonus, and he says his is very good (although he has the 37" version).

Has anyone seen this TV or know of any issues with it? (Don't need an immediate response, seeing as i'm unlikely to be buying it till after the New Year)

That's awesome, thank you cheesegod :) Normally when i search for product names i just get links to shopping websites etc. which don't usually have proper reviews for the products.