would this work

so i was thinking could i do it this way to install osx since it'd be way faster than installing from dvd.

1. backup data from dvd to img file

2. create an partition and restore all the files from the img file to that partition

3. boot up mac while pressing option to bring up selector. hopefully the partition filled with osx install files will show up.

anyone ever tried this? i wanna make sure b4 i attempt this. thnx

I've done it using my iPod through firewire. OS X 10.4 was loaded and installed in all of 4 minutes I kid you not.

I haven't tried it using a separate partition on an internal hard drive, but I'm guessing it will work.

when we imaged our macs at work we mounted a network drive and used terminal to image the computer, before we tried firewire and it was really quick, but just didnt work for us and our mass imaging.

Yeah what Xilo said. I restored an image of Tiger onto my iPod and booted via FireWire. Installed in about 5-10 minutes (custom install).

Save time by skipping any media checks and unselecting (custom option) any components you do not need. For me that was big items like iDVD, GarageBand and Office test drive, iWork etc. Cut it down to about 2-3GB only.