[UK] New driver : help needed

posted this on a car forum. no replies yet, so i'll copy & paste it here...

The g/f passed on Tues. So now it's time to look for a car & get insurance.

Problem is, she's being girly, ahem, i mean picky. :D . No red, colour coded bumpers, 3 door, dont want 5, you know the drill.

So i'll give a bit of info & hopefully a few of you can help out. She's pretty specific with the car, so that should help a bit, just really need i guess...

your knowledge on the model & engine sizes in terms of RELIABILITY & all round cost i guess.

* 24. Female. Birthday 2nd Apr.

* Have a bit of a debt problem. Not far to go, but limits the budget to ?1000!! And that's really the top end. Knowing her debt, and income etc, realistically, i think we're looking at a ?4/700 car here

* Doesn't have it yet, but will be going in for the pass plus

* Anything else? Just ask

She's looking at the Rover 200 series. Ford Fiesta. Vauxhall Corsa. Didn't like the Mk3 Astra but saw 1 in black which she said looked ok. So these models...

rover200front2.jpgCorsaCLX95.jpgfiestazetec2.jpgAstraGSifront.jpg

Preference is really in the order the pictures are in.

Got a few reg plates & threw them into elephant. All cars were Fully Comp, for 12months & ?250 excess (seemed like a round figure??)

'96 Corsa ~ ?695(sale) ~ 1.2L= ?568.05 (same w/ Pass Plus)

'98 Corsa ~ ?960(sale) ~ 1.4L= ?622.65

'99 211i E ~ ?1000(sale) ~ 1.1L= ?720.30

'96 214Si ~ ?890(sale) ~ 1.4L= ?700.35

'97 Fiesta ~ ?750(sale) ~ 1.3L Encore= ?620.55

'97 Fiesta ~ ?800(sale) ~ 1.25LX?682.50 (?672 with me named)

'98 Fiesta ~ ?600(sale) ~ 1.25LX = ?703.50 (?610 with Tesco)

'97 Saxo ~ ?695(sale) ~ 1.1= ?663.60

Now if you could give your views on which you would recommend & why.

Such as, i know the fiesta is reliable because i've known people with them, but i've heard it's better to go for the 1.25 than the 1.3.

I've heard head gaskets are prone to going on the rover, plus wont they be more expensive to repair now??

So if you could just give general info like that it'd be a great help. Cheers.

You must look at whether it is Diesel/Petrol (diesels tend to do more milage) and how much actual mileage its done. The 96' Corsa with 40,000 miles is going to be miles better than a 98' Fiesta with 70,000 miles.

Also, have a look at Quinn-Direct for insurance...they've given lots of people the best quotes they've had so far.

thanks for the heads up on the insurance.

All the cars had done pretty much the same mileage in the exmaples i listed above. All around the 60-80k mark.

But i mean like, lets say for example, a 1.2 Corsa is known for this problem, that problem and the other problem, and a 1.25 fiesta is known for amazing reliability, but the fiesta might cost a bit more than the insurance, then it'd be worth it going for the fiesta. Likewise if it was the other way around. & that is what im trying to find out for the g/f

My sister has had a little 1.2 Corsa for a while. Its a 96/N. It is slow as hell but its been really reliable.

I'd consider something japanese though - ultimate for reliability really!