5.1 Speaker Positions

Im trying to decide how to position my speakers on my room.

This diagram roughly represents my room.

room.jpg

Should the surround speakers be positioned like Diagram 1 (pointing towards the front) or like diagram 2 (pointing towards each other)

Should the center speaker be centerd or should i keep it under the tv?

Because of the lack of space moving stuff arround to get the tv centerd is not an option :(

For the surround speakers, it would probably be better to have them angeled in towards each other, although it depends if you are watching movies or listening to music more. Someone with better experience should be able to help you, but I reccomend angling them towards each other. As for the center speaker, because you cannot change your tv position, it is probably best to keep it under the tv, or else the dialogue will seam like it is coming from somwhere else in the room. If possible, I would recommend moving you couch up a little bit so it is not in direct line with the rear speakers. This way the sounds is not so harsh from the rear, since the main job of the rear speakers is to envelope sound around you. I also recommend raising the rear speaker height if possible to around a foot above your ear when seated at least.

Edited by ROM3000

Why isnt moving the tv around a option?

Whats stopping you from moving some furniture?

Option 2 is better, hoewver the TV shuld be in the middle of it all.

Its defeating the purpose of a 5.1 system when the picture is far on the right side.

Yes you get all the nice sounds, but wont be the same.

Moving the furniture isent an option as everything is probably a bit close than it is on the diagram, plus the unit the tv is sitting on and the one to the right of it both have drawers so there is nowhere else they can go. The one to the left of the tv is very tall so it woudent be practical to put the tv on it.

Thanks for the advice, im going to mount my rear speakers facing and higher up

Optimally they should be angled in towards your head. Both at the same distance, obviously...

That said, both diagrams are going to be pretty bad. Angle them.

They should all be at ear level, too... get stands or something.

Because if they're at different distances or heights you're going to get phase issues.