PC World Calls PS3 a mistake

Backwards Compatibility

Play thousands of PS one? and PlayStation?2 games as well as your CDs and DVDs on the PLAYSTATION?3.

NOTE

Some PlayStation 2 or PlayStation format software titles may perform differently on this system than they do on PlayStation 2 or PlayStation systems, or may not perform properly on this system. PS3 does not support a vibration controller.

From http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About

I really don't care if you can site passages where someone at sony tried to upsell you on a product that wasn't released yet. If you want to buy a product, go to it's website and look up what it can do, don't just go "well I remeber someone somewhere said it can be used as a grill and can talk to aliens in outer space, so I'll go buy one"...Use REAL facts, from the manufacturer to base your decisions on.

If you went out and bought a PS3 to play ridge racer one on, and find it looks bad while playing, because the game came out 12 years ago, then you're nothing more than an idiot and no one with an iota of intellect will pity you. If you want to play PS1 games, get a PS1.

So the source is the Playstation site. You don't think they they might've changed it considering what's going on? REAL facts means getting facts from trusty news sources that won't skew the truth. Many quotes can be reported (such as my quote from March 15) that were made pre-launch.

And it's not a matter of PS1 games looking like PS1 games. It's a matter of PS2 games looking WORSE than they do on the PS2. Your comment has no bearing on what people have been complaining about.

:laugh:

So I guess my question in my earlier post about Nintendo's BC has been answered!

No I mean it's perfect, go find a Mega Drive, put Sonic 1 in it, get to marble zone and jump on a block as it floats out of the lava, and you'll see the blocks to the left and right distort as it comes out of the lava. If you do the same thing on the Wii, exactly the same happens. That's not bad backwards compatibility, that's AWESOME!

As for GC titles, tried 14, played 14, no problems, nothing

It's funny I've read that the ps3 came out too early, seeing how Blu-Ray hasn't matured yet and that making the cost of the ps3 really high. Now papers are saying it came out too late. Sigh.

I agree its an expensive console, it has its upsides and downsides but honestly its only good for those who want a blu-ray movie player and a gaming system. Those who only want it for the games are getting hit hard by the price. Then again buy a 360 and the HD-DVD player and it cost the same as a PS3... hmmm.

For people who want to just play games at low cost, get a 360. People who want games and hi-def movies, get a ps3 or 360 with hd-dvd. I left the wii out becuase it's not geared towards my age, its for little kids in my view or nostalgic lovers for Zelda and the such. Don't get me wrong, the wii is a nice system and the features are gr8, but its not for me.

I love it when people point at me and say im the worst Sony fanboy when the only next-gen console I own is the MICROSOFT XBOX 360.

I love my x360 _very_ much and play it _ALOT_ (and Im _very_ happy and satisfied and thrilled when playing it) and wouldnt trade it for anything.

BUT THAT DOESNT CHANGE THE FACT THAT THERE ARE MORE GAMES COMPATIBLE WITH THE PS3

You keep getting dissapointed everytime - It seems you guys havent learned anything from Sony the past few years - they dont always keep what they say

SURPRISE!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

thats because there is only 1 true next gen console :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: // joke...

Whats your gamertag mate, ill add you as a friend :laugh:

thats because there is only 1 true next gen console :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: // joke...

Whats your gamertag mate, ill add you as a friend :laugh:

Off-topic, but how come your gamercard says you haven't played any games yet? And you rep is 3/5 stars? Are you upsetting people playing with the dashboard? ;)

Preview before you post please. Plus, your reply made no sense to what he posted.

Actually, it did. He was talking about PS3 and Xbox compatibility, so he got an Xbox to have "full compatibility".

Get it now or do I need some apples? :rolleyes:

And yeah, I'd like to see this guy gamertag too. Just want to check some achievements.

Ironman I don't quite understand what you do mean with Noveed. You start with 3 stars (it's the default).

Edited by Rodrigo

Off-topic, but how come your gamercard says you haven't played any games yet? And you rep is 3/5 stars? Are you upsetting people playing with the dashboard? ;)

ive had a gamertag since the 360 came out, just havent had a 360 yet, was getting one for christmas but my brother stole it off me :angry:

Mine will arrive either after christmas or january, and i have no idea why my rep is 3/5, its probs the default rep. Thought id put my gamertag up as im getting a 360 very soon.

Actually, it did. He was talking about PS3 and Xbox compatibility, so he got an Xbox to have "full compatibility".

Get it now or do I need some apples? :rolleyes:

Except he never said anything about wanting to play old XBox games. So no, it didn't make sense.

You might as well get an original playstation and an NES. </sarcasm>

BUT THAT DOESNT CHANGE THE FACT THAT THERE ARE MORE GAMES COMPATIBLE WITH THE PS3

People aren't arguing about that, Its true that there are way more games compatible with the ps3 than the 360.

What people are arguing about is that not every game works when that was promised and the fact that the games look terrible compared to native ps2. I'm sure this can be fixed with updates however.

The 360 does on the other hand at least upscale the games to 1080i and adds some AA/AF so they look better on the 360 than the first Xbox.

For me the biggest failure of the PS3 is Sonys retarded choice to include a blu-ray player in the base console. It adds a feature that most gamers don't give a damn about and bumps the price up for both sony AND gamers. Hurray for them. Sony's own formats have a habit of failing miserably and doing this seems a bit despriate.

MS have done it the right way imo. If you want HD-DVD then you can pay for the upgrade, Don't want it? Cool don't pay for it. Who the hell cares if you have to change a DVD once or twice during a game.

HD/blueray should have been left for the next generation of consoles.

Except he never said anything about wanting to play old XBox games. So no, it didn't make sense.

Lol are you and Huleboeren brothers? It seems like you both lack common sence.

So then why is he complaining about Xbox compatilibty? That's why AMD DID say he got an Xbox to play original Xbox games. Get it? Let's hope this time you do.

And no, why would I get something I don't want? It's not like I want to play PS games or NES games.

It's hard to repeat the same obvious stuff time after time, I'll stop now.

Ironman I don't quite understand what you do mean with Noveed. You start with 3 stars (it's the default).

I thought you started with a 5 star rating. :blush: I've had my 360 for over a year now so I don't remember when I first created my Gamertag.

I thought you started with a 5 star rating. :blush: I've had my 360 for over a year now so I don't remember when I first created my Gamertag.

Oh you are just bragging now. :laugh: :p

No, it's 3. I remember asking people to give me positive feedback when I first got my 360 just so I would have 5 stars. :p

Again, now that Sony is having trouble with 100% BC, now it's no big deal... :rolleyes:

It does sell hardware if people have a large library of pre-generation games they can immediately play on their new hardware.

If you're going to "doubt" things, try to look them up first:

Source

Thankyou for supplying a source when I couldn't be bothered! :p :)

Now let's settle the argument.

Sony said the PS3 would be 100% backwards compatible, anyone who tries to go against this, even with sources, I'll personally break into your houses to give you slap (joking obviously, but I would look worried Huleboeren :p)

Microsoft never promised 100% backward compatibility since it was a featured added near the end of the Xbox360's development, but even then they managed to allow it to be upscaled and have extra AA/AF to it.

Thankyou for supplying a source when I couldn't be bothered! :p :)

Now let's settle the argument.

Sony said the PS3 would be 100% backwards compatible, anyone who tries to go against this, even with sources, I'll personally break into your houses to give you slap (joking obviously, but I would look worried Huleboeren :p)

Microsoft never promised 100% backward compatibility since it was a featured added near the end of the Xbox360's development, but even then they managed to allow it to be upscaled and have extra AA/AF to it.

Dont worry - Ive already killed myself by the time you make it here.

Sony promised 100% BC - WHICH THEY DID NOT DELIVER - SONY SUCKS BALLS

We know that

Microsoft didnt promise anything and added BC as a bonus - YAY WE LUV MS!! - THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS WEE WEE WEEEEE

Thats great

But the PS3 is still more compatible with the previous-generations than X360 is with XBOX.

DO YOU GET IT? ITS QUITE SIMPLE

What's a bigger tragedy?

1) Not being able to play every PS2 game on the PS3

or

2) People being charged $$$ to get their 360 fixed after a firmware upgrade supplied by Microsoft bricked the console?

At the end of the day, backwards compatibility is such a small part of reasoning to get a console. I'm not sure if there any stats, but what % of games do work? 70? 80? Oh no, 20-30% don't work, not the end of the world folks. The vast majority of people buy a new console to buy new games, shocking huh? So, this slight problem isn't as big as the majority of people in this thread claim.