Wii Internet Channel Released!

Opening a .mov, .mpg, .wmv will not stream a video in a new window, you will just get an error. That means that movies are restricted to flash movies, which for me dont really work right now, though i see that khaos34 isn't having issues with flash.

Sorry that you're having issues with flash. You know, the ability to download files like mp3s and stuff was one benefit of the PSP browser. In a perfect world, the Wii would have a file manager and an added media channel to listen to/view downloaded content, but I pretty much doubt that's gonna happen :(

Would be cool if Apple licensed the Quicktime codecs to add on to the browser, though I can't see the WMV stuff coming unless someone along the lines of Flip4Mac made the codecs available.

One more comment - I'm glad they ported the actual Opera engine. That means, as someone mentioned earlier, very good compliance with standards. Nice to see the Acid 2 test work nice on a console :)

Edit 2: Wow - even Gmail works nicely!

Edit 3: Quick tip - zooming in doesn't just zoom to some predefined value - it zooms just enough so that whatever element the pointer was on fits the screen nicely. Try it out in digg... zooming in on a comments fits it nicely on the screen. That is pretty neat.

Edited by khaos34

Edit 3: Quick tip - zooming in doesn't just zoom to some predefined value - it zooms just enough so that whatever element the pointer was on fits the screen nicely. Try it out in digg... zooming in on a comments fits it nicely on the screen. That is pretty neat.

I noticed the zoom wasn't consistent but didn't realise why. That's a neat touch.

Also, you can hit the "2" button on the remote to switch to what I assume is actual-size view. Due to the low-resolutions of the Wii display, it makes things look absolutely huge. Might be handy in some situations though.

Also, you can hit the "2" button on the remote to switch to what I assume is actual-size view. Due to the low-resolutions of the Wii display, it makes things look absolutely huge. Might be handy in some situations though.

Cool, so that's what that does - thanks for the tip. I wonder why flash (Youtube in particular) is working very nicely for some people and not working at all for others.

Wii!!

the browser is OK for a beta.

the quick-text thing is nice. All I want now is to be able to download jpg's to the photo channel and tabed browsing :)

I'm on my wii right now :D

edit:

WOW... zoom goes crazy if you hit 2

edit2:

sweet... Outlook Web Access works on the browser. That was not expected.

Edited by morficus

I couldn't wait, tried it before coming to work (after all, who needs to get to work at 8 :p)

Yep, I noticed that, and it could be really handy, given that you don't have more control on the zoom.

Posting from my wii atm... pandora and youtube doesn't work so I'm saddened. Tho the auto word complete is handy.

Youtube and google video both work flawlessly here, even better than in my PC (which is not much to say, since my computer is crap). I watched about 4-5 videos in each, and I never saw it buffering, and I have 1.5mbps. So, I don't think it's a general issue.

Yeah, that button kind of displays it sort of like it would be suited for a PDA or such. Really neat in pages such as google, where there's a lot of white space. It strips it out, and displays all content inline.

The only issues I had was with certain flash sites, for example, pandora made the browser crash and freeze, I even had to pull the power cord to reset the Wii. Going to try other non-flash radio stations later on. Also, it didn't save my google session, had to put the password every time, whereas youtube would save it. One gripe is that passwords are not masked, so that may be an issue when I have some friends here.

All in all, I'm satisfied, specially since youtube works as I expected. This will more than suffice until the final version comes

I used it briefly before I left for work (had it download while I showered). I checked out neowin first and then newgrounds.com afterwards. I use my Wii on a 42'' traditional big-screen TV, just to let you all know.

Neowin.net, without zooming in, was very blurry - the text, that is. I LOVE using the controller as a mouse - it's very intuitive. However, in order to read most text I had to zoom in at least once unless I wanted to damage my eyes. Typing, although not as quick as a keyboard, was easy enough and satisfying for me.

Newgrounds.com I went to in order to view some flash videos. The first flash vid I viewed didn't work at all and the 2nd one had partial graphics. I hope that youtube works on my Wii, as I'm getting the impression based on posts here that some people can view youtube vids while others can't.

I'll give a more detailed report once I'm back home tonight. Maybe I'll give my report with the Wii. :)

Newgrounds is probably hit or miss because Opera Wii basically supports files around Flash 7, some of the Newgrounds animations are probably higher than that.

Youtube works, but it is a little slow on mine

EDIT - Did work but not any more :/

Edited by Peewee210

Newgrounds is probably hit or miss because Opera Wii basically supports files around Flash 7, some of the Newgrounds animations are probably higher than that.

I was thinking that maybe the flash version for the Opera Wii wasn't fully up-to-date (I believe the most current is Flash 9). I'll definitely be checking out youtube though. :) While I'm at it, I'm gonna access my gmail account and see if I can download pictures to the Wii.

EDIT: Has anyone have any luck downloading pics to the Wii?

Edited by SilentMage

I tested the browser a bit (before going to work) with Neowin and YouTube.

I was able to load videos on YouTube, and as SilentMage said... Neowin was blurry unless I zoomed in.

Also, I check my e-mail using OWA and I was able to log in just fine. (OWA usas AJAX and XML)

I'll keep messing around with it once I get home

arg... stupid work...

Grrr, Youtube had to go and change something. It no longer works on Wii.

It still works, you just have to quit to the main menu and go back to the video. It's some kind of bug tha that happens when you click on certain things like certain flash ads or when you try to go fullscreen sometimes.

It still works, you just have to quit to the main menu and go back to the video. It's some kind of bug tha that happens when you click on certain things like certain flash ads or when you try to go fullscreen sometimes.

That was the first thing I tried. I'm not an idiot believe me it isn't working right now.

Grrr, Youtube had to go and change something. It no longer works on Wii.

Maybe not for you, but I just spent 3 whole hours watching youtube and google videos of Russell Peters :D, not even stopping for buffering (well, maybe a couple times, but not an issue at all).

I don't know what could be wrong with your Wii. All issues I had were with pandora, and in some cases with gmail, which would freeze the Wii.