Your 360 & CRT/LCD Monitor

This has been asked many times in the past few days and I think it is time for a round up thread. If you have anything you want adding let me know.

Things you will need:

1x 360 & Monitor (Drr)

1x 360 VGA Cable (Official or 3rd party)

1x Speakers

1x Twin Female Phono to 3.5mm Convertor (Included in official package) OR Twin Female Phono to 3.5mm Female Convertor

1x (Optional) Sound card with Line in

Connect one end of the VGA cable to your 360 and the other to the VGA port on your monitor:

01kj3.jpg

Option 1: To PC Soundcard

You will now have L-Audio & R-Audio Phono connectors remaining, get your Twin Female Phono to 3.5mm convertor and connect it up like so:

02hu8.jpg

Connect the PC Soundcard end to your Soundcard's Line in:

03hr5.jpg

Option 2: To PC Speakers

Again, You will now have L-Audio & R-Audio Phono connectors remaining, in this option, get your Twin Female Phono to 3.5mm Female convertor and connect it up like so:

04kn2.jpg

Most logitech speakers come with the adapter above, mine did!

That is all there is to it. If you are using your PC Soundcard, make sure Line In isn't Muted/Unselected in the Volume Control. I may type up a 360 to 5.1 or 7.1 Soundcard/Speakers if I ever can be bothered :p.

Edited by DarkGashX

about sound, I have a optimus speaker system 2.1; the white and red is hooked into the subwoofer and the black port to the pc audio jack is hooked in, is there a way to transfer that audio through my speakers?

btw good artical.

about sound, I have a optimus speaker system 2.1; the white and red is hooked into the subwoofer and the black port to the pc audio jack is hooked in, is there a way to transfer that audio through my speakers?

btw good artical.

So you have 360 L/R Audio -> Sub -> PC Soundcard and you want it to go direct into your speakers or?

So you have 360 L/R Audio -> Sub -> PC Soundcard and you want it to go direct into your speakers or?

yep I want to use my same PC setup hookup with the 2.1 on the same input for the 360. I'm not intending to do this but I want to have a plan incase it does end up being that way.

yep I want to use my same PC setup hookup with the 2.1 on the same input for the 360. I'm not intending to do this but I want to have a plan incase it does end up being that way.

If you do like I said get the Twin Female Phono to 3.5mm Female Convertor it will work BUT only on one thing I.E. 360 only.

Well, the same set up would work. But you would need a different VGA Cable since It's made for the Xbox 360

:yes: Yep. If a VGA Cable with the same outputs comes out, it should be the same. It is for the original Xbox because I use it.. till XMAS Day :rofl: :p.

I found my self in a tight spot today no sound with my xbox connected to 19" Monitor so my friend told me to go buy a sub which i did 5.1 and its probably best setup ive used yet its great love the surround sound :D

So, my monitor has a lead coming out of it, will it still connect up to the official VGA cable without any additional adaptors.

And then to do audio I just need some normal PC speakers and the L and R to a single audio cable adaptor comes with the official VGA cable?

Thanks, great article, sorry I asked again, I just want to be 110%.

So, my monitor has a lead coming out of it, will it still connect up to the official VGA cable without any additional adaptors.

And then to do audio I just need some normal PC speakers and the L and R to a single audio cable adaptor comes with the official VGA cable?

Thanks, great article, sorry I asked again, I just want to be 110%.

04kn2.jpg

Is what you want for L+R Audio to PC Speakers (2.1).

EDIT: Most logitech speakers come with the adapter above, mine did!

Great guide. It should come in handy for many people.

Thanks for the guide DarkGashX :) Seems very helpful.

Thank you both for the comments, much appreciated :).

The official cable comes with 2 adaptors, one for the audio and one for the VGA so you shouldn't have any problems.

Could someone post a photo of the contents of the official VGA cable box please?

So the VGA cable has L & R output, comes with an adaptor to turn this into 1 cable with an input, then the PC speaker lead plugs into that, right? :)

oh my god! i did not know this...So this is not going to work on my monitor! i am going to be buying a 360 premium and my monitor is a CRT and already has a cable sticking out of it--> a vga cable. it does not have a vga socket? on it. So this means I cant plug my 360 into the cRT monitor. By the looks of it I dont have any of those exact converter wires for audio either. Maybe I can use an audio composite to computer? converter that I already have.. would that work? My x700 pro tv capture edition graphic card does have a tv in available though...but I'm guessing the quality is not going to be too good right? :huh:

oh my god! i did not know this...So this is not going to work on my monitor! i am going to be buying a 360 premium and my monitor is a CRT and already has a cable sticking out of it--> a vga cable. it does not have a vga socket? on it. So this means I cant plug my 360 into the cRT monitor. By the looks of it I dont have any of those exact converter wires for audio either. Maybe I can use an audio composite to computer? converter that I already have.. would that work? My x700 pro tv capture edition graphic card does have a tv in available though...but I'm guessing the quality is not going to be too good right? :huh:

The official VGA cable comes with an adapter that you can plug you CRT's VGA cable into. And there's also an adapter for the audio cables that allow you to plug those into your Line In on your soundcard. You'll just have to have your PC on to hear anything.

The official VGA cable comes with an adapter that you can plug you CRT's VGA cable into. And there's also an adapter for the audio cables that allow you to plug those into your Line In on your soundcard. You'll just have to have your PC on to hear anything.

Thatr audio adaptor could just be used to plug your PC speakers into right if the whole setup has nothing to do with a PC?