• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Your 360 & CRT/LCD Monitor

DarkGashX    0

Giga, Ya I will (if mods still allow me to edit) add guides for Optical (5.1/7.1) after Xmas.

Fugi    7

Im getting a USB headset for xmas is there anyway I can use that with my 360? Alsow hen i plug my xbox into the audio in and the speaker into the audio out i don't get the xbox 360 sound still just the sounds from the computer... (I only use one speaker*im poor :p*) anyway do i need to download somthing to get this to work?

dnast    39

Thatr audio adaptor could just be used to plug your PC speakers into right if the whole setup has nothing to do with a PC?

You'll just have to buy a coupler from Radio Shack or wherever since both plugs would be male. They're cheap, though.

Im getting a USB headset for xmas is there anyway I can use that with my 360? Alsow hen i plug my xbox into the audio in and the speaker into the audio out i don't get the xbox 360 sound still just the sounds from the computer... (I only use one speaker*im poor :p*) anyway do i need to download somthing to get this to work?

I'm not sure about the USB headphones, but for your speakers check your mixer settings (you can double-click the volume icon in the system tray or go to "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties" in the Control Panel then click "Advanced") and make sure Line In isn't muted. Sometimes that's muted by default.

sp4rkbr    0

I got a lg 17' lcd monitor @ 1280 x 1024 and 4ms. It has DVI also.

I dont know much about playing on monitor. Would i be able to play xbox360 on my monitor? If yes, how would be the quality compared to a standard CRT and a HDTV?

Sorry for being noob...

DarkGashX    0

The quality would be better then a SDTV - you could use DVI if you get a VGA -> DVI converter.

I wouldn't say it would beat a HDTV though.

sp4rkbr    0

The quality would be better then a SDTV - you could use DVI if you get a VGA -> DVI converter.

I wouldn't say it would beat a HDTV though.

Thx man

Isnt there a cable thats goes from the xbox directly to the dvi?

DarkGashX    0

Thx man

Isnt there a cable thats goes from the xbox directly to the dvi?

Not as I know of yet,

sp4rkbr    0

Not as I know of yet,

Thanks haha

Last question, i forgot to type it on my last post:

If i used a VGA->DVI adaptor, would i get better quality, since the signal came from VGA?!

Fugi    7

Thanks dnast that worked :D. Anyway isn't there some way to rerout the line out to the usb port so I can use my headphones? Maybe the xbox 360 usb will detect a headset?

DarkGashX    0

Thanks haha

Last question, i forgot to type it on my last post:

If i used a VGA->DVI adaptor, would i get better quality, since the signal came from VGA?!

VGA compared to? Going from VGA to DVI you wont see any difference really as the signal is VGA.

Smashing Pumpkin    40

So, this is what I need, and this thing is all inputs so I can plug PC speakers in.

04kn2.jpg

Then I have a VGA cable coming out of my monitor, that means I need a male to female VGA converter? Is that included in the official package?

Thanks,

Richard.

DarkGashX    0

The official VGA cable has a convector for the VGA but to use PC Speakers direct (meaning only 360 or PC at any one time) you need that cable yes.

sp4rkbr    0

VGA compared to? Going from VGA to DVI you wont see any difference really as the signal is VGA.

Oh ok i got it now, i was confused about what you said before hehe but nvm i got it now. Thank you very much.

Pilsbury    0

VGA --> DVI adaptors may not work on all monitors, as some monitors only accept the digital signal carried in the cable (the main 24 pins). The analog VGA signal is carried in the 5 pins in the cross.

ynnoj    23

I dug out some old 5.1 speakers I once used with my now defunt PC.

I'm using the MS VGA cables, with the audio adaptor into the back of my TV set.

However, I'm wanting to use these speakers. The speakers themselves plug into the sub, which then has a green and black lead which used to fit into the soundcard.

Would there be anyway I could wire these up to work with the 360/TV without the need for a PC/soundcarD?

ynnoj    23

Anyone have any ideas? :whistle:

v0ltage789    0

You can't communicate 5.1 channels through a stereo headphone jack. You would need to get speakers that accept a red and white RCA plug, or an optical audio connection.

ynnoj    23

But the speakers wouldn't be going through the headphone jack to my TV - the 360 would just connect directly to the speakers.

edit: Basically looking to connect the headphone jack with the audio that comes with the VGA wires (phono) to this, then connect this to the other end of the jack with the two wires from the base which are 3.5mm.

According to my dad, it should work. Thought I'd double check :p

Edited by ynnoj

ynnoj    23

Yay, it worked! 5.1 surround sound 360!

Gears of War is now x2 better (believe it or not)

golazo    0

I got a 22 inch compaq p1220 crt monitor the other day.. it's 4:3 and it does 2048x1536 resolution. will that play better than my normal sdtv? and how much better? im picking up the microsoft vga cables for the 360 tonight.. i already have a couple of them connections to plug my surround in so hopefully it all goes well

DarkGashX    0
I got a 22 inch compaq p1220 crt monitor the other day.. it's 4:3 and it does 2048x1536 resolution. will that play better than my normal sdtv? and how much better? im picking up the microsoft vga cables for the 360 tonight.. i already have a couple of them connections to plug my surround in so hopefully it all goes well

Yes as it will output in HD :). Also, if you have GoW, a patch has just come out to fix the annoying 4:3 issue :) Happy days!

golazo    0

Awesome, can't wait.. I'm going to pick up my VGA cable in about 30 minutes. I've been playing on my sdtv for a year now with my 360, hopefully the HD is worth it!

DarkGashX    0
Awesome, can't wait.. I'm going to pick up my VGA cable in about 30 minutes. I've been playing on my sdtv for a year now with my 360, hopefully the HD is worth it!

It will blow your socks off (if you don't have any on then your hair will stand on end :p), I tried SD for 5 minutes and I said to myself.. Do I I kill myself now or switch back to HD, it is very blurry in SD and HD is very sharp and GoW looks awesome!

golazo    0

wowwwwww its fooken insane!! i never thought the 360 could look so good!! this is my first hd experience and i am very impressed. gow and nba 2k7 look so much better, pes 6 looks about the same because it looked crap anyway :p moto gp looks awesome, fifa 07 is good too.

all my other games like fight night round 3 and ghost recon are at my friends house so i'll have to get them back tomorrow lol.. im blown away.

also.. i think i got my resolution on 1280x768.. is that best for a screen like mine? (21inch 4:3) my screen goes up to 2048x1536 so i dont know if i should have it higher or not?

edit: i cant believe i had sdtv for so long lol

ynnoj    23
also.. i think i got my resolution on 1280x768.. is that best for a screen like mine? (21inch 4:3) my screen goes up to 2048x1536 so i dont know if i should have it higher or not?

Just try playing around with the display settings on the Dashboard and there might be a more suited resolution for your display.