Buying (sort-of) a home theater

Glorious

OK, I'm looking at buying a new HDTV setup with surround. Now, the plan is to hook it into the PC as well as with the Sky HD I'll be buying. Now, I have to buy it from Dixons, Currys etc. (basically any store from DSG Retail in the UK) as I have a friend working there who can get a me a very decent discount (knocked an LG 32" HDTV LCD set with surround sound, glass stand and DVD recorder down to ?1200 with the Dixons coverplan for a family member).

Now, the set I've been looking at is this one - with the black gloss stand as extra (as I said I'll be hooking it into my PC for surround sound with DVDs until I can get something a bit more decent with more inputs as I'll be getting an Xbox 360 later on also). Is this a good set to buy as I will be using Sky HD with it. Or could somebody reccomend a more decent set for the price?

Basically, my budget will be about ?800 for the TV + the money I'm using for the Sky HD box.

Edited by Dave MB
bangbang023

It's a very good set for the price. I think you made the right choice there.

Glorious

Thanks bangbang, it's just when I was in Currys today the salesman was saying they've had a load of returns recently on Samsung sets, apparently a lot with sound issues. I still like the TV and we do have the 42" plasma which we got last year around this time which is Samsung and it hasn't had a trouble at all.

I can't really understand why they would have a load of returns, bad batch perhaps?

Also, I notice it only has 1 HDMI port. This may become an issue in the future perhaps when more HD equipment is available. Will I be able to buy some sort of switch for plugging more HDMI leads into one input without loss of quality?

bangbang023

Frigging companies. See, the US version of that set has 2 HDMI. But yes, you can buy an HDMI switcher in the future should you need more inputs.

Glorious

Ahh right, brilliant. Thanks for the replies :)

I have just enough spare cash to get an HD box for this, as I figure analogue won't be all that great on it.

Glorious

One more quick question about this. I've been moving furniture etc. ready for everything to be installed and I've started to think about the next thing, sound. Now at the minute I have my PC connected to a 7.1 surround system (Creative T7900s that came with it). Now, I'll be wanting surround for my TV with Sky for the proper effect but I'd also like to keep surround for my PC if possible. I don't suspect I'll be able to do this with my T7900s and I'm not so sure I really want to as they're not that fantastic.

Is there a surround setup I can purchase (5.1 will do me fine as long as it has decent power, I'm not all that bothered if it's not 7.1) which will allow me to setup the sound from devices on my TV and my PC for this purpose?

bangbang023

In order to get sound from the PC to a surround system and get surround sound, you're going to have to go the optical/toslink route. Some mother boards have this connection built in and Creative sells an optional break out box with an optical connection on it.

Glorious

Are you referring to the sound blaster extigy by any chance? The one that connects via USB?

I may be mistaken but I thought that optical only supported 2 channels. Or is it the speakers that decode the signal and convert it into 5.1?