Zune Review

DR3AMxCATCHER

zunewild1ev0.jpg

Looking for that new MP3 player, that has video, space, and wi-fi? I think you must be looking for the zune.

I received my Black Zune this morning and I love it! Big and Bulky they say, the thing is quite small to be honest. The box it came in was very niffty too and had the following inside:

14-Day Free Subscription to Zune Marketplace

Black Zune

FM-Tuner Headphones featured above

Grayish/Black velvet case

Zune software

USB 2.0 cord

I plugged my USB cord into my USB 1 hubs and got a connection ASAP. It updated my Zune to 1.2 firmware which was a nice little update. I then named my zune "CHAOTICxPHOENIX" and that's my name for when I share a song it'll be known as "CHAOTICxPHOENIX"

After naming it, I "sync" my Zune and starting adding 50 pictures, 450+ songs in AAC format, and it took about 30 minutes since I was using USB 1.0 ports. I haven't charged my Zune to full battery, but am right now as I type this out. The Zune is small, comfortable to fit in your hand, and reminds me of an iPod mini somewhat.

The Screen

The screen on the Zune is clearly the winner in the iPod Video and Zune. I compared my sisters iPod Video and my Zune and the Zune..I saw clearer pictures and video. It's also larger and makes the Zune better looking than it already is.

Dashboard/Naviagation

I thought this might be hard to get use to, but it really isn't. Pressing up and down while roaming the "Dashboard" and press the middle button as an Enter Key gets the job done, it was awesome to see that it wasn't hard.

The menu's are as followed.

- Music

- Videos

- Pictures

- Radio

- Community

- Settings

Music has your music of course, album, song, quick list that you can make while in the Zune not software :)

Videos, has your movies..preloaded videos, and what not.

Pictures, slide show, all pictures sorted in folders and if not in folders in the main menu

Community this is where you find other Zune's and what not. Has an "Inbox" area too.

Settings, equilizer and what not..wi-fi on and things like that.

Cool Features

When watching a video, you flip the Zune sideways and use the menu as it reverses. Instead of the up-and-down being the way to browse through the songs and what not they act as sound now. The side ways buttons act as Fast-forward and rewind

Also, when viewing pictures when a new song starts it will display at the bottom Album Art, Arist Name and Song.

You can also use the pictures on your Zune as a background, right now I'm using the Halo 3 commercial where the "Bubble shield" is in full effect. Looks awesome!

I really am loving the Zune and the features. The Radio works great and I got AMAZING reception on my local channels! So if you don't own an iPod I think the Zune might be the way to go.

Any questions, just ask me.

Halfalive

Thanks for the review.....I have been thinking of buying one..... :D

ModMan24

I got one for christmas and i love it.

Quick Shot

lets all jump on the zune train.

I had one since it came out and i could not have been more happy.

HostileGamer

Wow...a review with absolutely nothing bad about the product (don't know for sure .... I skimmed). Is there ever any suspicion of viral marketing in a thread like this? I'm sure the Zune is great, but its still a first generation, and the way it was reviewed I thought I was reading an ad. My opinion....if Microsoft cannot find a way to beat i Tunes...then the Zune will be left dead in the water. IMO of course.

Googintosh

I'm thinking of buying one of these. Can you use it like a hard drive to store any file on it? I noticed this review did not mention DRM. What is DRM all about on the Zune? Does that mean I cannot put all my DRM-less MP3s on it or what? Yes, silly questions because I'm new to this MP3 player thing.

osirisX

I'm thinking of buying one of these. Can you use it like a hard drive to store any file on it?

Not with the Zune. For some silly reason MS locked this option out. But there is probably a hack around to enable it.

Preppy

^-- It didn't work as well as they wanted it to, so they pulled the feature for now. There are indeed third party guides to using it as a hard drive using a sync trick.

DR3AMxCATCHER

Well, the Zune does have its flaws.

When I wrong, so I'll add it right now.

- Clock, I'd like to have a clock since I don't like to watch watches.

- Loading, I also don't like the way sometimes it needs to "load" everything while I'm searching for other songs.

I really can't complain.

nav1

I have a couple of questions:

-How easy is it to create playlists using the software? And using just the player?

-Has it frozen on you any time? One thing I don't like about HD-based players is that they tend to freeze

jbrunt1990

I totally agree, i love my zune and im very pleased with it. Also it rules to have it in the UK before most people :rofl:

Qarth

I own a 30gb iPod video that I have never used because of the lameness of iTunes and how all around crappy the player is. I got my Black Zune and have been uding it every day.

DR3AMxCATCHER

I have a couple of questions:

-How easy is it to create playlists using the software? And using just the player?

-Has it frozen on you any time? One thing I don't like about HD-based players is that they tend to freeze

It's very easy, on the software and zune. While on the zune you press the song you want and select "Add to quick list"..very simple and easy.

My zune has not frozen on me yet, which I'm glad.

Flash

The only thing that makes me stray away from the zune is because it can't store any other files so I can't use it to transfer files to computers

devyant

Wow, and a few weeks ago the net was splattered with articles that absolutely condemn Zune being an iPod killer. It all gets drawn down to consumers expectations rather than professional analysis.

I would love to have one just for the kick of "not having an iPod", but cash-strapped for either. :\

Victor V.
Wow, and a few weeks ago the net was splattered with articles that absolutely condemn Zune being an iPod killer. It all gets drawn down to consumers expectations rather than professional analysis.

I would love to have one just for the kick of "not having an iPod", but cash-strapped for either. :\

Just thought about it too... probaly people was full of Microsoft and started putting problems on Zune

Graham51

I got one for christmas and i love it.

Same here, I thought that I wouldn't be able to get used to the navigation bits, but I did! And now I love it! :)

DR3AMxCATCHER

It's not hard to navigate which was the best part. I'm glad it was easy, I remember messing with it when I was circuit city and struggling to understand it.

Flash

How is the zune's lcd response time? Do you noticing any blurring? The PSP has a horrible LCD, the whole screen blurs just by moving the camera in game

DR3AMxCATCHER

I haven't seen any blurring. Response time is quite fast, never seen any lagging unless it was loading something.

Hope that helps. Good question.

Flash

Is the LCD noticeably better than ipods? How are the colors? Are the blacks very dark and not grey?

DR3AMxCATCHER

Oh yes, the black is shown as black..it's really nice with it's coloring.

I can notice the difference in videos/contrast.

»X«

I thought a review was supposed to be objective? Just looked like an advertisement. (N)

velkymx

I think the colors look much better than the iPod.

DR3AMxCATCHER

I thought a review was supposed to be objective? Just looked like an advertisement. (N)

Okay, if you say so.

I think the colors look much better than the iPod.

I agree.