Zune Review

Skiver

well if the reviewer couldnt see a bad feature to him then what is he to do?

Was the DRM question answered...i didnt see it but i could have missed, if it does not allow drm-less mp3's and what not then i think MS will have shot themselves in the foot

GuJu

can you clear up one thing for me,

i use iTunes and i know you cant use itunes with zune so i downloaded the zune software it was like WMP11 which i hate but i still gave it a chance.

and when i got in there they had some of the songs from my comp in the library but not all and i could not figure out how to.

theres not a good way to just show the music, it starts up with the huge album art and in my library it had all my podcasts which sucked. and also only some of my videos and the pics sucked to.

im wondering if i can just erase all this junk in that and just start over and i tell it what i want on the zune software.

that the only problemi have with the zune if the software was like itunes than it would be nice.

DR3AMxCATCHER

Yes, DRM-less mp3's are allowed. Which is a good thing :).

GuJu

can you clear up one thing for me,

i use iTunes and i know you cant use itunes with zune so i downloaded the zune software it was like WMP11 which i hate but i still gave it a chance.

and when i got in there they had some of the songs from my comp in the library but not all and i could not figure out how to.

theres not a good way to just show the music, it starts up with the huge album art and in my library it had all my podcasts which sucked. and also only some of my videos and the pics sucked to.

im wondering if i can just erase all this junk in that and just start over and i tell it what i want on the zune software.

that the only problemi have with the zune if the software was like itunes than it would be nice.

DR3AMxCATCHER

Yes, you can remove all the songs and what not. Just highlight them all and remove them the library then re-add them. I'm not sure if that's what your asking, but if I have music not showing in my list that's what I do.

GuJu

my itunes it really organized and simple, the zune this is not organized.

But i like the zune better than the ipod thats my problem.

because of the bigger screen and radio.

i have to install the software again bc i got ****ed and uninstalled it and see if i can organize it like iTunes hope they support podcasts soon.

DR3AMxCATCHER

Yes, a lot of people are hoping for podcast support. I'm sure it will come.

I've almost made my library pretty easy and simple to go through. Adding new songs is when I get killed, however.

GuJu

thanks for the info and i think im just going to wait on mp3 players for now

BTW you joined on my Birthday.!!!!1

DR3AMxCATCHER

Haha, no problem man.

Lmfao, that's awesome. I've been here since 2004, never registered just browsed.

velkymx

Podcast AND Video organization would be welcome additions.

»X«
well if the reviewer couldnt see a bad feature to him then what is he to do?

Well its not a review then is it?

Google other reviews and you will find complaints about the video conversions, the software problems and other annoyances. Ignorance is not an excuse.

betasp

If a person finds a bunch of faults with a product they bought, then they are admitting to themselves they bought a bad product. Read all of the reviews here, 90+% find very few problems with the products they bought.

Edited by betasp
»X«

Its not a couple of mates having a chat about the Zune. If this is just a summary, change the thread title. But a review implies a non biased look. When I see loads of reviews picking faults yet this one finds none, i question the reviewer.

Skiver
Yes, DRM-less mp3's are allowed. Which is a good thing :).

ah thanks :)

Well its not a review then is it?

Google other reviews and you will find complaints about the video conversions, the software problems and other annoyances. Ignorance is not an excuse.

who said ignorance? its just opinion...ok ipod sold loads of nano's how many reviews do you see saying well its abit small in terms of storage? well to me that is a con and one reason it wouldnt even be considered but to others it doesnt matter, so what others (even if its a majority) may think is a con or bad about it the reviewer may not think that or might not have came across it yet... just because he didnt find something he didnt like about it doesnt mean its wrong as a review...this is his opinion on this player...if you dont agree with the things he likes then fine but dont discredit him due to him not finding something he didnt like about it.

»X«
this is his opinion on this player

Hardly a review then is it? My point is simple. If he loves it to pieces thats fine. But don't advertise it as a review when there is no critique what so ever, which Is what I look for in a review. I don't want to hear how perfect it is. There is no perfect product.

Skiver

a review is nothing more then an opinion...you get the product have a look have a play and then the review is what you thought of it...now if he thinks its perfect then thats what he is gonna write, im not saying he is right and im not saying he is wrong...but IMHO he wrote what he thought about it and thats all a review can be... to a certain extent i agree with you... i wouldnt read this review and think right im buying one because i agree their is no perfect product...although a nice pint of bitter does come pretty close, so i would like to see some criticism to it because thier will be things that dont quite work... you could take the point of the firmware update to be a con, this guy is quite positive about it but imo this product should not be getting updates like this so close to release... i just think to say this is a bad review is a little harsh

»X«

It just strikes me as an advertisement. This is just my review of this thread.

DR3AMxCATCHER

I wrote it during the day, I got it. If you see as an ad that's fine. Who cares. Now lets comment on the Zune and not my review. We all make mistakes, and reviewing isn't the easiest thing in the world you know.

Scutley

I like it my Zune, I got it for Christmas. I first saw it the first day it came out where I work. I already knew I wanted it before it even came out, because I don't believe all of the haters out there, that hate Microsoft and knew it was going to be a great product (actually the Microsoft haters made me into a Apple hater if it wasn't for those Microsoft haters I wouldn't mind Apple). I really like Zune and its really easy to use to add songs, and playlists.

What you do to add a normal playlist in the software is you go to first button that looks like a piece of paper and in front of it a play symbol in the right hand corner (it will say when you put your cursor over it "create and edit playlists") then you enter you songs like you would in Windows Media Player.

After you do that save it and then go to the sync option (the arrows) and drag and drop you playlist, that is over in the left pane, then put it where you sync your music. Then hit sync and it will sync it in your playlist section of your Zune and add the songs in the songs section.

I have about over 200 songs in mp3 format on it and can add a whole bunch more. The only stupid thing I did is I by mistake said to delete all of my content on Zune (in which you don't have to). So now all of my pre-loaded content is gone. If anyone knows how to get that back please tell me, but that is my fault. I like it though. It only frozed on me once and that was yesterday. It went to a black screen, I was worry at first because I thought it broke, but then it restarted by putting on the Zune screen and then loading everything back up and had no problem with it. I love it!!!

Plus, a review is someones opinion on something. You don't need to have something bad in a review or you don't need someone to have something good in their review. Its a opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

»X«

^. I guess its based on what you want out of it. If you want to play music, share with friends, use the ****ty marketplace software and pay $0.99 for 79 points then go ahead.

I wanted easy video playback, hard drive ability and great software to sync with, which it has none of. So its a thumbs down from me. But that doesnt mean its ****. Just means I dont like it.

Andy Baxter

I am a UK user and managed to get hold of the Zune, very excited that Microsoft was jumping on another bandwagon and will inevitably end up with a great new product.

I was VERY disappointed, why the hell when I buy a Microsoft device does it not work directly with Windows Media Player 11, the Zune software is exactly the same but more annoying and with less features.

The device itself is very blocky and the screen although quite good on still images was not great with video and the resolution of the menu's especially the menu text is awful.

I have sold mine on as fast as I bought it and am now looking at (it pains me to say not being a fan of apple) an 80GB iPod video or (more likely) the 60GB Creative Zen Vision M.

tempnegro

hey, does Zune work with WMP?

This is key, and if it doesn't shame on microsoft....do you have to install that crap like itunes?

shao

I believe that it works with wmp11, or at least installs additional components on top of wmp11 to allow media player to work with the zune, in much the same way you could use one of the playforsure mp3 players to synch your wmp library with your player. In much the same way you need iTunes to synch an ipod.

back on to switchblade's case... what ever his problem is.

- 'professional' reviews have differing expectations from devices in generally, if not purely because they never actually buy them for themselves. often they do not do fair reviews with a clean installation of windows, and may have their fair share of other crap on windows which invariably causes problems with installations.

- iTunes didn't install for me, and it reassociated all my file types, and set everything to use quicktime, and i don't even have an ipod. Does that mean iTunes is flawed, and ipods are rubbish? No.

- so if someone who has bought product-X for him, and he is happy with it, and he has taken time to go through the usability, and his experiences with said product you should show him a little courtesy for taking the time to do that, instead of slating his efforts and putting him down. sure, ask questions, or as you suggest look elsewhere.. but don't be an ass.

as for me. i tried a gen1 ipod. Never again. Currently using a iriver 'brick', which is serving me well but needs to be replaced by something new. I'm currently eyeing a Zune, Sansa 8GB, Meizu MiniPlayer, or sony ericsson w950 so i found this review useful. thanks.

»X«
back on to switchblade's case... what ever his problem is.
- iTunes didn't install for me, and it reassociated all my file types, and set everything to use quicktime, and i don't even have an ipod. Does that mean iTunes is flawed, and ipods are rubbish? No.

No, it means you dont have a clue how to work iTunes properly.
- so if someone who has bought product-X for him, and he is happy with it, and he has taken time to go through the usability, and his experiences with said product you should show him a little courtesy for taking the time to do that, instead of slating his efforts and putting him down. sure, ask questions, or as you suggest look elsewhere.. but don't be an ass.
re?view ?noun

1. a critical article or reporcritique/b>

My "problem" is, dont call it a review when it isnt. End of. Its not being an ass its being honest. He's a big boy, im sure he can take what I say like a man. Right?