Does the Wii have a DVD drive?

Azzor_Wugg: Doesn't the sky box have scart pass through? Mine does!?

Two thoughts on this:

Wii's DVD player would break sooner because it would be chepply made. (like all nintendo products, targeted at elemtery-middle schoolers)

Xbox 360 and PS3 DVD player ( or should I say HD and blue Ray players) would not break that easy because its bulit more tough and durable but more expenmstive to fix when it does break)

Tell me your are joking? Xbox's are hadly well builts - and I'm an xbox fan! PS2 drives were synonimous for failing too.

Azzor_Wugg: Doesn't the sky box have scart pass through? Mine does!?

Tell me your are joking? Xbox's are hadly well builts - and I'm an xbox fan! PS2 drives were synonimous for failing too.

All though out my childhood I owned a N64 and a Game cube and I played and felt the newer more mature systems and I have to say nintendos arn't that well bulit. they are to a point.

but i'm not a gamer, hence I'm sailing my gamecube with 5 games 2 controls and everything.....

I have Sky plus, a Nintendo Wii and a DVD player.

The Wii goes into the side of the TV, so it works fine, put it to AV1. Whereas the DVD player and Sky+ box share the scart switch on the back of the TV. To watch a DVD I have to switch the scart and audio cables from the Sky+ box to the DVD player. Its horribly annoying because of the TV unit they are in.

If would be 99999x easier for me if the Wii played DVD's.

If it is anything like my sky box, the box has a scart in as well as a scart out. Meanin plug the dvd player into the sky box and the sky box into the tv. Its a simple daisychain that most scart equiped boxes have.

I have to say i agree with Nintendo not including DVD playback. Its saying a big "screw you" to licensing with DVD forum and cuts the price way down. Xbox and PS have always paid the licensing fees for many different media types and passed the cost to the customer.

Nindendo has had very stern words on including HDTV support in consoles. It has been quoted many times from Nintendo. They feel that they should support all TVs quoting many studies on how many people actually have HDTVs. To make future Wii consoles support higher then 480p would be a slap in the face to current Wii users and is uncharacteristic of Nintendo. Nintendo kept the cost down not going over 480p and still made a great console focusing on user interface. I still love xbox and PS and the Wii is a great addition to a gamers arsenal.

You know Nintendo's kinda ripping you on the console price anyway, right? They're making a pretty darn good profit off of the Wii, a system that definitely takes less than $250 to make (it's not much more powerful than a Gamecube, and all the sensor technology is readily available). I think at least they could add DVD playback to give more back to the consumer.

You know Nintendo's kinda ripping you on the console price anyway, right? They're making a pretty darn good profit off of the Wii, a system that definitely takes less than $250 to make (it's not much more powerful than a Gamecube, and all the sensor technology is readily available). I think at least they could add DVD playback to give more back to the consumer.

Shame on Nintendo for wanting to make a profit.

If you want a DVD player, go buy a DVD player. They're dirt cheap now-a-days. Would it be nice to have the Wii play DVDs? Yes. Would be convenient? Yes. Is it really that necessary? No.

Lets see...in my home, I have 5 DVD players, plus another in my car. I may even have one or two out in a box of old electronics crap waiting to be hauled off in a corner of the garage. I'd much rather Nintendo cut corners on things most people don't need, than 'other companies' jacking up the prices of their consoles to astronomical levels trying to push a format and "features" most people don't want.

As for the Mr. Tech_Dude (laugh), I'm probably well old enough to be your father. The 360 is relatively appealing to me, will be moreso with the release of Halo 3. I'm extremely interested in the Wii...and have no interest whatsoever in the PS3. Here's a little advice; if you have to convince yourself and others that you chose a certain game console because its for people "more mature", you're not fooling anyone. Me think thou doth protest too much...

Again, DVD play back = higher cost to consumer. PS3 and Xbox360 probably have similar production cost only slightly higher. And you get ripped off for the licenses. Im not saying Nintendo is better or greater but everyone wants to make a profit. Nintendo just wants it to be cheaper (not by quality but by price) you get what you pay for. Everyone wants to make a profit. Just look at iPod quality. Everyone knows how cheaply they make those. Everyone knows Wii is a glorified gamecube. It was Nintendo's choice and 3million wiis sold since November tells the story. Its a fun system, just like PS and Xbox. I actually have PS2, xbox and Gamecube (not to mention NES, SNES, PS1, N64, Dreamcast). I buy them because (i can afford them) and i enjoy the technology and gaming. I plan to get xbox360 nad PS3 eventually to play the games o want to. Is it a waist? I don't believe so. Am i getting ripped off? Not if i game for hours and im truly entertained and satisfied with it. Do i have a DVI DVD palyer? Yes.

Everyone seems so ready to jump on some band wagon and argue for one or the other. I really don't see the point.

BTW Hers some cool links on console sales

Top selling consoles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-...o_game_consoles

Top selling Video games http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best_...and_video_games

Edited by corey1138

Two thoughts on this:

Wii's DVD player would break sooner because it would be chepply made. (like all nintendo products, targeted at elemtery-middle schoolers)

Xbox 360 and PS3 DVD player ( or should I say HD and blue Ray players) would not break that easy because its bulit more tough and durable but more expenmstive to fix when it does break)

Are you joking? I have every Nintendo console made, and they all still work. That's after the controllers have been thrown across the room, the consoles have been pitched into boxes on moving day, etc. If you still think a Gamecube is cheaply made, you need to find the destruction comparison someone did where it was the only one that booted up after all the damage inflicted on it.

Are you joking? I have every Nintendo console made, and they all still work. That's after the controllers have been thrown across the room, the consoles have been pitched into boxes on moving day, etc. If you still think a Gamecube is cheaply made, you need to find the destruction comparison someone did where it was the only one that booted up after all the damage inflicted on it.

ALL of my friends had to exchange there first xbox because of failure, as did I. Several of my friends had several xbox fail and gave up on xbox all together. xbox and PS had many revisions. Nintendo had several. My NES, SNES, N64 and GC still work. My PS1 died after 3 years. My PS2 controller ports don't work anymore.

BTW

Edited by corey1138

All electronics will wear out eventually, some just do it sooner than others. Oddly enough, the only consoles to give me problems was my NES, Genesis, and Atari Lynx. All cart based, I've had my PS for over 10 years (replaced the CD unit 2 times, due to my own fault), and the PS2 slim and PSP have been fine.

As for the Wii having/missing a DVD drive, does it even matter if you have a DVD player, PS2/Xbox, PC DVD drive, etc. already?

The Wii is the only system that sounds appealing at this point, the Xbox fanboys have turned my off the 360, not to mention, I'm not a FPS/action type of player, and sports titles are available on every system, while Sony has just turned me off period. Sometimes something different works.

Edited by 1759

So you guys are saying the Sky+ scart cable entry at the top (not the bottom slot) is for another connection?

So I could get a scart to scart cable and plug it into my DVD player to the top slot? What about the red and white cable it needs (might be the yellow one, I just know it needs 2).

Edit;

My DVD requires a scart + red, yellow white cables into it.

My Sky+ requires a scart + white & red cables into it.

So if I got a scart it'd go into the back of my DVD player into the Sky+ box. What would happen to the red, white and yellow cables?