360 browser?

Surely it's a question of when rather than if.

So, can we expect a internet browser for the 360 in the near future? This is Microsoft after all..

IE7 anybody? :whistle:

I wouldn't expect something like that any time soon, if at all. Don't forget, MS think a 20Gb (13Gb actual) is more then enough space for the majority of 360 users.

I wouldn't expect something like that any time soon, if at all. Don't forget, MS think a 20Gb (13Gb actual) is more then enough space for the majority of 360 users.

Well Nintendo consider 512MB to be sufficent :rolleyes:

Well, it is. A browser isn't going to take up much space anyway.

20Gb is more than enough at the moment. I have 7 demo's installed & 20+ Arcade games +my save games & I still have 9Gb left on my XB360's HDD.

In the future MicroSoft could quite easily release a larger HDD for the 360, however at the moment i don't think anymore than 20Gb is really needed.

As for a web browser, would never use it. IF i want to surf the net i'll use my PC. The PS3 has a web browser & I heard it wasn't too good. I heard that most pages don't load & using teh control pad is awkward.

The problem I spose is that its not really Windows running under the hood any more, it was something similiar to Windows CE in the Xbox 1 the first time around, so porting IE to that would be hard, and I think they've moved even further away from CE this time around. So who knows. Might be too much work.

The problem I spose is that its not really Windows running under the hood any more, it was something similiar to Windows CE in the Xbox 1 the first time around, so porting IE to that would be hard, and I think they've moved even further away from CE this time around. So who knows. Might be too much work.

Xbox 1 used the Windows 2000 kernal Dreamcast used Windows CE

anywho the Wii opera browser is good works great for me and i think if MS did relase a browser it be a custom made one not related to Ie at all

Considering it's a high definition console, web pages should render nicely on it. It would have to render the text quite thick however, as it would be unreadable when downscaled to SD otherwise.

Xbox 1 used the Windows 2000 kernal Dreamcast used Windows CE

anywho the Wii opera browser is good works great for me and i think if MS did relase a browser it be a custom made one not related to Ie at all

Oh was it? :blush: Ignore me then :\ Where the hell did I hear it was CE :blush:

But the wii is not downlaoding movies and stuff to the memory(most of the pictures and movies are on the sd cards.)

But a web browser on an Xbox likely wouldnt support downloading I assume either. They'd want people using their store to obtain the videos and they need to restrict downloads because people wont even be able to run executables ect. anyway. Any browser would be a pretty closed affair mainly for browsing. You'd need a bit of temporary room for cacheing data but realistically you could get away with 500MB dedicated to cache and thats only if your streaming some huge video clip. I'm sure theres more than enough memory so that a HD wouldnt even be essential for a browser to work.

Considering it's a high definition console, web pages should render nicely on it. It would have to render the text quite thick however, as it would be unreadable when downscaled to SD otherwise.

Browsing the we on a 360 would be almost like on a widescreen monitor on a pc @ 1280x720

If people really want more space you can add a USB 2 drive to it :p

Only if that was true! :angry: I have a 30GB USB 2.0 2.5" Drive and nope, doesn't even see it. Have a 250GB 3.5" USB 2.0 drive and nope, doesn't see that either. :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting to be able to plug in a 750GB USB 2.0 drive or being able to stream from a SANS! Now that would be sweeet.... Imagine 2TB of data ready anywhere in the house via laptops, desktops, and now Xbox 360 :)

Why not try and develop one using the Microsoft XNA game studio or what ever the game dev studio is

Ye, but that means you have to pay that monthly/annual fee (im not sure) to download the browser.

Im not THAT interested in a browser :p

20Gb (13Gb) is more than enough when you dont have to preload approx 4gb of data per game to get acceptable loading times.

I dont particularly care about web browsing on any console, my pc does this fine, console browsers arent always compatible with all the latest web standards and plugins.

Wii has Opera baced browser, PS3 has Firefox based browser. I have no doubt Xbox360 will get its own.

no the ps3 has a psp-browser-based-browser. it has no instance of gecko (which is the actual html renderer in firefox and all other mozilla products)

Why not try and develop one using the Microsoft XNA game studio or what ever the game dev studio is

The current version of the XNA Framework on the Xbox 360 doesn't support Networking so you couldn't do it.