x64 Forums

What should we do with the 64bit forums?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the 64bit Hardware forum?

• No. It would be nice if hardware threads were tagged with [64bit] instead
    • No, all hardware is becoming 64bit thus the forum and the tags are both unnecessary
    • Yes, there is a specific need to discuss 64bit hardware. Keep the forum.
  2. 2. Should we keep the 64bit Software forum?

• No. It would be nice if software threads were tagged with [64bit] instead
    • No, all software will eventually become 64bit thus the forum and the tags are both unnecessary
    • Yes, there is a specific need to discuss 64bit software. Keep the forum.
  3. 3. If you like the tag idea, should we FORCE members to use [64bit]?

• Yes, close threads that aren't tagged so I can search properly
    • No, ask for voluntary complaince but don't close threads
    • I didn't vote to contract the forums in the above questions.

I say keep the forums maybe until the next release of Windows.

My reason for this is ease of transition. Yes all hardware is mainly becoming 64bit capable, however, not all hardware has the driver support. I find it easier searching individual sub forums than searching for tags. I was an early adopter of Windows XP x64 and as such have seen the slow adoption of the 64bit OS. Looking over the past few weeks I am still seeing a sloppy take up of drivers for Vista x64, in fact x64 in general. Having the separate forums makes it easier to look for specific 64bit issues.

I agree there will come a point when the hardware forums should become one, but I still see this a year or so into the future.

To address those who state that the 64bit forums are quiet, this may be due to a slow uptake of Windows XP x64 (it was OEM only) and 64bit OSes in general. With a major release of 64bit Windows now available as a retail package to consumers, we may see the 64bit forums increasing in activity.

I personally feel the questions being raised in this Poll are questions which should be raised in 6-12 months time.

no point having 64bit hardware forum as everything is and will be 64 from now on. Software however it may be useful once Vista is mainstream and people need drivers etc.

(Y) Could not agree more!

The only thing that makes hardware 64 bit is the processor.

My opinion: To have a forum about 1 specific part about a computer is silly. This is my main reason why I believe why the forum is so dead. I think its important to remember that there are 1000's of hardware devices out there that are not processors. All processors today are 32 and 64 bit.

Please merge the forum into Hardware Hangout.

I believe that having a 64 Bit Software forum makes more sense to me because 1 software package is much different then the next.

Processor has 64bit instructions so I guess its 64bit. The OS determines what kind of drivers you need for your hardware though. I personally don't count drivers as software, they are an integral part of the hardware.

The only thing that makes hardware 64 bit is the processor.

My opinion: To have a forum about 1 specific part about a computer is silly. This is my main reason why I believe why the forum is so dead. I think its important to remember that there are 1000's of hardware devices out there that are not processors. All processors today are 32 and 64 bit.

Please merge the forum into Hardware Hangout.

I believe that having a 64 Bit Software forum makes more sense to me because 1 software package is much different then the next.

I agree and Disagree with what you are saying.

There are more than just 64-bit Processors to discuss such as 64-bit compatible software and drivers for hardware. If you don't have a 64-bit compatible driver for your sound card then when you run x64 you won't have any sound. However I do want the 64-bit hardware section merged with the normal Hardware hangout as I feel it's about time.

I agree and Disagree with what you are saying.

There are more than just 64-bit Processors to discuss such as 64-bit compatible software and drivers for hardware. If you don't have a 64-bit compatible driver for your sound card then when you run x64 you won't have any sound. However I do want the 64-bit hardware section merged with the normal Hardware hangout as I feel it's about time.

Drivers can be discussed in the Drivers Forum - Which already exists. and drivers are Software - Still The 1 thing that is physically 64 bit when it is Specific to Hardware is the CPU.

There are no 64 bit DVD Rom Drives, Floppy Drives, Printers, RAM sticks, HP Pavillion Monitors... etc.. I think you get my point. :yes:

So what is boils down to is that you're making a seperate forum for a Processor? Well All Modern Processors are Both 32 bit and 64 bit - SHould we call it "Hybrid Hardware Hangout?" :laugh:

I fully agree with Hurmoth on this one. I think there is a point in discussing 64-bit software because it has some unique qualities. 64bit hardware, however, is just regular stuff these days.

I vote to merge 64bit Hardware with Hardware Hangout and to keep 64-bit Software as a subforum of SD&A.

Of the four active threads in 64bit Hardware, only one actually bridges the gap between 64bit hardware and 64bit software. The other three threads need not be there at all.

Drivers can be discussed in the Drivers Forum - Which already exists. and drivers are Software - Still The 1 thing that is physically 64 bit when it is Specific to Hardware is the CPU.

There are no 64 bit DVD Rom Drives, Floppy Drives, Printers, RAM sticks, HP Pavillion Monitors... etc.. I think you get my point. :yes:

So what is boils down to is that you're making a seperate forum for a Processor? Well All Modern Processors are Both 32 bit and 64 bit - SHould we call it "Hybrid Hardware Hangout?" :laugh:

That's just it though they don't just discuss CPU's in that forum they discuss things like "Will an 8800GTX work with my computer under x64?" And yes even though it becomes a driver discussion it is centred around hardware and if 1 piece of hardware is not 64-bit compatible they will recommend another piece of hardware which is 64-bit compatible you can see how this quickly becomes a hardware discussion.

However I still stand by my stance that the X64 forum should be merged with the normal Hardware Hangout.

This isn't just about the technical view of what does and does not comprise 64bit hardware in a PC.

This is about how neowinians use that 64bit hardware forum to solve issues. Keeping them separate will ease transition for Windows users.

Tagging is enforced elsewhere, it should be enforced everywhere...

[64bit] and [32bit] is acceptable. But then ppl will bitch and moan and complain ... it's up to the polls (and mods to listen)

• 9 months later...

Thread from the Dead alert:

70% of Neowinnians have indicated that 64bit Hardware Discussion is useless (and the last 11 months has probably only exaggerated the problem of it being redundant).

Neowinnians seem less than keep on the concept of forced [64bit] tags so we'll leave them optional.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=602360