Now on to HT speakers...

Are these alright for a "decent" system. I ordered an Onkyo 5.1 reciever for $100, with these being $50, I'm not so sure.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...mp;SID=sduidp0t

Center channel: ?Driver: 3-1/2" coaxial ?Frequency response: 120 Hz-20 kHz (?3 dB) ?Impedance: 4 ohms ?Recommended max amplifier power: 60 watts RMS ?SPL: 91 dB ?Dimensions: 4.6" H x 4.3" W x 4.2" D.

Satellite speakers: ?Driver: 3-1/2" coaxial ?Frequency response: 120 Hz-20 kHz (?3 dB) ?Impedance: Front speakers: 4 ohms; Rear speakers: 8 ohms ?Recommended max amplifier power: 60 watts RMS ?SPL: Front speakers: 91 dB; Rear speakers: 89 dB ?Dimensions: 4.6" H x 4.3" W x 4.2" D.

Subwoofer: ?Woofer: Long-throw 5-1/4" *Frequency response: 50-200 Hz (?3 dB) ?Amplifier power output: 30 watts RMS, 60 watts max ?Forward firing port tuned enclosure ?Wood cabinet with attractive ABS front ?Two RCA low-level inputs ?Hi-level inputs/outputs ?Variable gain control ?Dimensions: 10.1" H x 7.5" W x 14.2" D.

Or

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...osim/slickdeals

The specifications for the satellite speakers are as follows:

2" x 3.5" shielded driver with coated cone

200-20khz frequency response

110 watts power rating

85db sensitivity

8 ohms nominal impedance

4.2" W x 4.4" H x 4.1" D

The specifications for the subwoofer are:

6.5" woofer with polypropylene cone and rubber surround

20-200 Hz frequency response (200 hz crossover frequency)

100 watts amplifier output power

8" W x 12" H x 12.75" D

Onkyo is a great branded amp.

The speakers however as mentioned can be crap.

Most satellite except the very expensive are tinny sounding and dont have a good mid range. Only when the subwoofer is enabled do you get some sort of ok sound.

You want a good brand of speakers, dearer they are the better sounding.

Try ebay, alot of local produced speakers sell on ebay new and they are better then japanese or asian made speakers.

To compare.

I have a Yamaha Amp with Accusound speakers (made locally in Australia and excellent in sound production) and they are floor speakers with high grade wooden cabinets. Is a full 5.1 speaker set up. Even with the subwoofer off the speakers have a great range in bass as the drivers are top of the range.

Bought my father a basic Sony Home Theatre in a Box set, with satellite speakers and Subwoofer and amp.

The amp is damn good, but the speakers, even Sony branded, sound pathetic and tinny withoutb the sub woofer enabled. Even then, the mid range sounds are lacking somewhat.

IF you get a chance, look on ebay for auctions for locally made speakers, research em and should get a good price.

Reason why i am stating you should do this, is cos im bored at work, but more importantly you dont want to have a great amplifier with pathetic sounding speakers as you probably regret it within 15minutes of listening to the speakers.

Heres the categories on ebay for speakers

http://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQa10244ZQ2d24...ListingItemList

Heres the speakers you wanted on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JENSEN-JHT525-HOME-THE...1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh and i like these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIVINCI-606-HOME-THEAT...1QQcmdZViewItem

No, you can't use the center channel for the sub. They are two completely different units. Either way, god that system sucks. I never let a customer buy it, if I have any say. No, it's not a powered sub.

No, you can't use the center channel for the sub. They are two completely different units. Either way, god that system sucks. I never let a customer buy it, if I have any say. No, it's not a powered sub.

I know it sucks :cry: I'll wait to get another $150 together and see whats available then. I guess a 5 channel system for $5 cant be horrid lol.

I know it sucks :cry: I'll wait to get another $150 together and see whats available then. I guess a 5 channel system for $5 cant be horrid lol.

Good buy man

Great price as well.

Good to take you over until you save enough money and shop around.

But i still stand by floor speakers and locally made as well and wish you all the luck.

Must you seriously have an HT right now?

Personally I'm cringing at the thought of a complete 5.1 setup for 50 dollars..... thats asking to much for way WAY to little. Have you considered starting out small? Say purchase two great speakers for stereo now, then either a sub or center and then add the rears when more funds are available.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Just my 2 cents.

I'm in a similar situation but I've decided I'm going to wait it out and buy a 7.1 system next year, for the time being I'm planning on just adding the PS3 to my "theater". :D

No kidding, a rocking 5.1 will walk all over a simple 7.1 system, that is unless your going balls deep.

Worry about the basics and don't get caught up in the numbers game unless your going to be dishing out allot of cash.

I found myself a powered subwoofer from PC speakers 10 years ago. 70 watts, yes, but it sure as hell fills in where those speakers can't (sicne the sub included wasnt powered)

post-32248-1167432863_thumb.jpg