Neowin Digital Photo Gallery

Welcome to the Neowin digital photo gallery! Here you can post your pictures and discuss your photography techniques.

Please be mindful of our members on dial-up and try to keep the dimensions of the pics and the size of the files to a respectable size for 1024 x 768 viewers. Please refrain from quoting images in your replies.

I will also ask that you link to images on your own space, as much as possible.

Have fun!, and lets see some new year's fireworks!! :D

Well, I just took these photos last night (12/30/06). These are the San Fransisco Peaks in Flagstaff, AZ. The moon was out pretty good so I took some 30" exposures at f/4 right off the side of Hwy 180 near the AZ Snowbowl. Keep in mind that it was almost pitch black out here...

Enjoy and let me know what you think! I've been playing with my new Canon 30D!

post-23601-1167626695_thumb.jpg

post-23601-1167626714_thumb.jpg

post-23601-1167626723_thumb.jpg

post-23601-1167626746_thumb.jpg

i really like the moon picture, thats fantastic.

Thanks!

I wish I had a longer lens to get in closer though... the picture was shot at 200mm.

A few of mine from New Year I really need a better faster wide angle and a external flash I was pushing the limits of my 350D trying to get some pics of the performers

Using a wide-open aperture max ISO and using the built in flash I was only just able to get some acceptable pics.

The fireworks pics where fun I used TV, AV, and manual mode messing round with different settings I also tried a few bulb shots (using the wired remote) it was a fun night.

New_Year_2007_by_accesser.jpg

2007_New_Years_by_accesser.jpg

New_Years_Fireworks_2007_by_accesser.jpg

More_New_Year_2007_by_accesser.jpg

That?s nice goodcas(Y)Y) your pic made me think of something

Have you seen those really really long exposure pics where the stars blur because they have moved across the sky during the exposure.

I've seen one where it was a wide angle picture of the sky and a rockface the expose was something crazy like 60min I guess you would do that using bulb I?m not sure.

A couple to kick the start of the new y:Dr :D

329967003_e4c0c35c80.jpg

I love city night photos what City is it ? is it Oregon as another member said ? also share what setting you used.

That’s nice goodcase (Y) your pic made me think of something

Have you seen those really really long exposure pics where the stars blur because they have moved across the sky during the exposure.

I've seen one where it was a wide angle picture of the sky and a rockface the expose was something crazy like 60min I guess you would do that using bulb I’m not sure.

I love city night photos what City is it ? is it Oregon as another member said ? also share what setting you used.

i know what you're talking about. Its a compilation of sevral picture, im actaully going to attempt that at my cottage this summer.

You take multiple pictures of the longist exposure on the camera over and over and over again and compile them in photoshop. It'll take a couple of hours. But the effect is pretty neat.

like this right?

istockphoto_139570_exposure_30_minute_north_star.jpg

i know what you're talking about. Its a compilation of sevral picture, im actaully going to attempt that at my cottage this summer.

You take multiple pictures of the longist exposure on the camera over and over and over again and compile them in photoshop. It'll take a couple of hours. But the effect is pretty neat.

like this right?

Actually, these pictures are typically the product of a very long exposure, not a compiled image. This is where film cameras have an advantage over digital cameras because of the noise problems associated with long exposures in digital cams. Typical exposure lengths can range from 30 minutes to 5 hours. Obviously you should be very far away from any major city to avoid 'fogging' from light polution.

While quite a few people are doing long exposures with DSLRs, you can also compile multiple 30" exposures in photoshop (like goodcase mentioned) but in my opinion, I feel that it's too much work and it's also major photo modification. With most decent semi-professional DSLRs, you can achieve very good results as long as you have extended battery life as well as having a cool sensor. The colder it is, the less noise you will get in your image but you tradeoff battery power as a result. The camera also needs the extra batter power to run the dark-frame noise reduction whch takes as long as your exposure took (i.e. you take a 1 hour exposure, your noise reduction processing will take another hour before the cam is ready again).

I'm actually about to go take some star trail photos in the next few days when the moon covers up somewhat. I'll post them here when I get them done!

ECEGatorTuro

Thanks (Y) my DSLR (350D) can do up to 30 sec or bulb do you thing bulb would work its says on the little LCD how many seconds you have had it open for I?ve also got the wired remote for it and the button on the remote you can push then slide up to lock it down so I'm thinking that might work.

As for the city lights I was also thinking the same you can really notice the difference when you are away from the city the stars are much brighter as there is less light pollution.

Because of the mega long exposure time would you under expose the image at all ? I think a low ISO might help with the noise but who knows with such a long exposure time I?ve never done anything like it.

Would love to see yours when you are done

Cheers

Portland, Oregon. Image was taken from the east side of the river overlooking downtown. In terms of the photo, it's an HDR composed of 5 exposures with an EV of -2, -1, 0, +1, +2. The longest exposure was 15 seconds and I just used the histogram on the camera to meter the exposure value. I used an ISO of 50 to reduce noise because I have found my camera tends to generate a lot of noise even at ISO 400 at night. I merged the exposures and tonemapped them in Photomatix Pro. I opened to finished composition in Photoshop CS2, adjusted the levels, added a border, and applied noise ninja with a profile for my camera to cut out noise. At such a high resolution it had quite a bit of noise but noise ninja rocks.

ECEGatorTuro

Thanks (Y) my DSLR (350D) can do up to 30 sec or bulb do you thing bulb would work its says on the little LCD how many seconds you have had it open for I?ve also got the wired remote for it and the button on the remote you can push then slide up to lock it down so I'm thinking that might work.

That's exactly how you do it with today's DSLRs.

As for the city lights I was also thinking the same you can really notice the difference when you are away from the city the stars are much brighter as there is less light pollution.

City lights can definitely ruin the photo easily. You'd be surprised when your eyes perceive something to be almost pitch black and then with a 30 minute exposure, it would look like it was the middle of the afternoon. Be vary careful when trying to shoot long exposures in terms of city light polution. Get at least 10 miles or more away from the edge of the city at the minimum and point the camera away from the city.

Because of the mega long exposure time would you under expose the image at all ? I think a low ISO might help with the noise but who knows with such a long exposure time I?ve never done anything like it.

Would love to see yours when you are done

Cheers

You wouldn't have to worry about underexposure too much because you're going to expose all of the available light as it is. Naturally, your images will be a little on the dark side (depending on the scenario as well) and there will be some underexposed areas. The great thing about digital is that it is easy to play with and you can experiment with different settings on the spot! Low ISO will definitely help with noise but will not allow your sensor to expose some of the dim lighting in the composition. I used to do long exposures with film almost 8 or 10 years ago so this is a whole new thing for me with a DSLR (I have a Canon 30D). When I get some more photos in hand, I will post them so you can check them out...

@t0ta:

Bigger resolution or you mean the actual moon size being bigger? I can give you the file in actual size (8MP) but I can't get any closer to the moon unless you want to buy me a longer lens); ;)

@goodcase

Also a bigger photo, maybe to use it as wallpaper if you are OK with it?

ya, thats fine...but i dont know if you'll like it..kind of blurry.

post-84197-1167853739_thumb.jpg

Thankyou ECEGatorTuro (Y) (Y) (Y)

@Goodcase Sorry to hijack your thread your picture just made me think of these really long exposure shots for some reason.

That's nice goodcase (Y) your pic made me think of something

I've seen one where it was a wide angle picture of the sky and a rockface the expose was something crazy like 60min I guess you would do that using bulb I'm not sure.

In bulb mode and also with a wireless remote control. Just to make sure the camera wont shake at all

In bulb mode and also with a wireless remote control. Just to make sure the camera wont shake at all

Do you think Mirror lockup is worth it

(2000 Posts for me)

Just adding two of many pictures I had taken of a fireworks display just over the hill from where I live.

My first time doing these kinda of shots. I used several different shutter speeds, ranging from 1 sec to 16 secs. Av setting of 8, ISO at 100. Used a Sigma 17-70mm lens at its widest set on infinity.

I'm sure if I was better prepared and had a remote cable release I could have taken better shots. But hey, my first time..

post-59058-1167870818_thumb.jpg

post-59058-1167870840_thumb.jpg

Those are nice Chast (Y) yep a nice low ISO is what I do so you dont get much as much noise.

Fireworks are always fun to shoot did you use Centre weighted metering a mag I was reading suggested this as the auto metering on most cameras will get confused with the changing bright lights from the fire works and the black night sky.

Those are nice Chast (Y) yep a nice low ISO is what I do so you dont get much as much noise.

Fireworks are always fun to shoot did you use Centre weighted metering a mag I was reading suggested this as the auto metering on most cameras will get confused with the changing bright lights from the fire works and the black night sky.

I didn't even check the metering mode I used. I think it was set to auto..

I must of taken at least 100 shots that night and I would say only 7 of those I think are worthy of keeping.

Now I have to wait another year for my next chance..lol