• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[HDTV/LCD] Samsung LN-S4095

salis    0

Well Im looking at buying this TV but want some opinions first. Does anyone here own this TV and what are your thoughts. Also, are there any other models that I should look at and consider around this price point?

Thanks in advance.

bangbang023    31

It's a very nice set with brilliant colors, however there is some break up when there's a quick change of color. Another set to also consider would be the Sony KDL-40v2500. The Sony doesn't break up nearly as much under fast color changes, however, it lacks the color vibrancy of the Samsung.

salis    0

Thanks bangbang.. k so if I step the sony up to this model: KDL-40XBR2 are the colors as vibrant as the samsung or is the samsung just the better deal and I wont really notice any difference. Is the XBR all its cracked up to be I guess is what Im asking.

bangbang023    31

Don't go with the XBR. It's almost the same exact set as the v2500 with the exception of one addition hdmi, one additional component, and a different frame. About the colors, the Samsung does has more vibrant colors, but like I said, it tends to pixelate much more quickly than the Sony when there's a quick drastic change of color.

Tech Star    254

Sony makes the best LCD's in my opinion. I would recommend the Bravia. But if you are looking for 1080p I am not sure if Sony has it out yet (I think they do though).

bangbang023    31
Sony makes the best LCD's in my opinion. I would recommend the Bravia. But if you are looking for 1080p I am not sure if Sony has it out yet (I think they do though).

Sony and Samsung use the same panels in their sets since the panels come from a plant they co-own. The differences come down to the processing that is unique to each company. I should also point out that the colors on the Samsung are only marginally more vibrant. It's not a night and day thing.

salis    0

Ok ill go with that v2500 then because I hate pixelation.

Tech Star    254
Sony and Samsung use the same panels in their sets since the panels come from a plant they co-own. The differences come down to the processing that is unique to each company. I should also point out that the colors on the Samsung are only marginally more vibrant. It's not a night and day thing.

I know that....but I saw saying that I like Sony's more then the Samsung LCD's. Dont bash me on my opinion.

bangbang023    31
I know that....but I saw saying that I like Sony's more then the Samsung LCD's. Dont bash me on my opinion.

Uh, where did I bash you?

Tech Star    254

No I was saying dont bash me if you want to bash me. :p

Sorry...:(

Jason S.    1,486

i have this tv. it's amazing. the only time i notice image break-up is occasionally while watching HD football.

jimmybob479    0

I'm seriously considering getting the Samsung. I've been saving up some paychecks and by the end of Feb I should have around enough...it's gotten great reviews from what I've seen. The lowest price for the Samsung I've seen is $1049.99, and I've heard LCD prices are only going to continually drop this year (up to 40%?!). Would this display be good for hooking up to my 360 for gaming (read LCDs are better than Plasma for gaming, and better for the normal lighting of a dorm room) and using with my HD-DVD 360 drive? The one concern I have is that it's too big..haha..but I can mount it on the wall.....

bangbang023    31

I seriously doubt that you saw the LNS4094 for $1049.

abysal    98

I just ordered one of these from Amazon, 1699.00 and free shipping. I didn't want to wait half a year to maybe see 1200 range prices. I decided to get this over the LN-S4041D, mainly because of the lower height of the 4045 as funny as that is, the 1080p was just a plus :)

Jason S.    1,486

perhaps bangbang can elaborate on this, but i can certainly tell a difference b/w 720p and 1080p h.264 Apple HD trailers. Ive downloaded 480p, 720p and 1080p just for comparison and the difference is noticable. the difference is especially noticable when watching 1080p vs. anything on broadcast tv (720p or 1080i). my point is, the 1080p is definitely a nice bonus.

bangbang023    31
perhaps bangbang can elaborate on this, but i can certainly tell a difference b/w 720p and 1080p h.264 Apple HD trailers. Ive downloaded 480p, 720p and 1080p just for comparison and the difference is noticable. the difference is especially noticable when watching 1080p vs. anything on broadcast tv (720p or 1080i). my point is, the 1080p is definitely a nice bonus.

On what viewing device? On a 32" or 40" set, at a reasonable distance of 6 - 8 feet, you aren't going to notice a difference, especially on the 32" set.

Jason S.    1,486

sorry, didnt specify, on my 40" (the topic's model). and i guess youre right, i was closer than 6-8 feet... so next time i'll try standing further away and see if i can tell the difference b/w 720p and 1080p

bangbang023    31
sorry, didnt specify, on my 40" (the topic's model). and i guess youre right, i was closer than 6-8 feet... so next time i'll try standing further away and see if i can tell the difference b/w 720p and 1080p

And you can't compare different resolutions on the same TV. You'd need a native 720p set next to your native 1080p set to really judge the difference.

IndianPimp99    0

To the original poster, I've got this TV and have been using it for approximately 3 weeks. It is fantastic. My apartment is set up to where I am usually sitting about 10ft from the screen so I don't notice the pixelation as much as some others. In fact the main reason I bought the TV was for Bears games and man am I sure glad I did.

What do you plan on using the TV for? Me personally, I watch HD Sports, HD nature shows, and play PS3 and hatch a couple Blu-Ray movies.

As far as sports go, the FOX feed for football seems to be cleaner and crisper than CBS. Basketball is pretty sweet to on ESPN and TNT.