Do you enable/use uPNP on your router?

I would hope it off by default on most routers.. To be honest, it can be a nice function for quite a few users -- but users should really understand what is open on their routers and what is not.. I know its alot to ask, when most users have no idea if they have a router or a modem, and have not clue one to what a port is or even an IP address for that matter..

The thought of software opening up forwards on the border device without asking boo of the user is not a good idea in general if you ask me.... But since a user should have to turn it on, you would hope that they atleast grasp the gist of how it works, and what it can do.. But somehow I doubt that is the case most of the time.

I would suggest that is be left OFF! Unless you have a specific need for it, and are too lazy or stupid to setup a port forward..

If your not going to be using it, then you might as well turn off the SSDP Discovery Service on your windows machine as well - no use looking for UPnP devices on your network, if your not going to be using it, etc..

Does enable or disable -ing it make a difference to the connection speed? :)
It should not make any diff to your connection speed.. But I have seen it cause disconnects, when one machine on the network wants to open something up with UPnP.. All current connections on the router can be disconnected/reset

I have seen it drive people nuts trying to figure out why, when their brother or sister open up some IM client -- their FTP download stops, etc.. ;)

Look at it this way - it could in no way shape or form make your connection faster. So it would make little sense that having it on would make your connection slower..

But it can, depending on your router cause resets in your active connections when forwards are either opened or closed on the fly by some UPnP software on your network.

So as I already stated - unless you have "specific" use for it - I would suggest it be turned off.. And then since it off on your router, there is little use of the service running on your windows machine by default.. So might as well turn that off, which will free up a very small amount of resources on your machine for other use, and will also be a "tiny" bit less traffic on your local network -- since your machine will not be looking for UPnP devices ;)

I have mine on, mainly because i can't be bothered forwarding ports for non-important things, if i use it more than a couple of hours a day, it gets a permanent forward rule in the firewall on my router (so BitTorrent, apache, etc.)

Well the mine is open up but today i learn (here) the problems that can cause this with diferents computers so as i can open manually the ports i'll disable it.

Thank you guys

Mines on as I know exactly what is running on my computer at all times and therefore I know what I'm trusting. It doesn't seem to take effect anyways, I've still had to setup port forwarding for BitTorrent and such, despite the fact the software claims to be uPnP compatible.

i love uPnP. My 360 opens all the ports it needs and all the other software i need and they close when i turn the Xbox off... how much more secure could you need to be instead of leaving it open all the time with port forwarding.

Ports open with no services listening are not unsecure.. Its not knowing what is open, or having any control over what and when they open which can be seen as unsecure..

Any software you run, could in essense open up ports on your router that you have NO IDEA of.. That is not secure..

Ports forwarded to NOTHING, ie nothing listening on them - ie the service/application/device that needs the open port is not running.

How many ports do you think your xbox needs btw??

I have mine on; Love it. Makes all my P2P applications and Xbox gaming great. I personally recommend it to anyone and when I get a new router, it has to have uPnP.

I leave mine turned off and configure my ports manually; I don't think it particularly secure to have any computer or console opening whatever port it feels like; I manually enable the ports I do need for FTP/consoles. Not that I'm critical of uPnP; it's a great idea but not when you've got other people using other computers in the house who aren't quite as on the ball.

I was at another forum and few users were complaining about how slow their Torrent speed were. Then this user comments

Forget abt port-forwarding, turn on UPnP. Can hit >100K easily.
And when I told him that's not true, he challenged me by saying:
What do I get if I can show u the result?

What's your say?

Source