HDTV Questions

Hello guys!

I am going to start saving up for a Sony 32" Widescreen LCD HDTV BRAVIA w/ Built-In Digital ATSC/NTSC Tuner, KDL32S2010 and my question is does it support 720p? the Res. is 1366 x 768. So does that mean it supports 480i,480p,720p and 1080i?

Also I have read the you cannot really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p unless the TV is above xx inches. Is that true?

The set will display all content at 720p, meaning your average 1080i HD broadcast will be scaled down to 720p. Also, at that size range, you don't even have the option for 1080p right now, though Sharp just announced a 32" 1080p set which was accompanied with a big "Why?" since there is going to be almost no noticeable difference. If you ask me, though many will debate me, you don't start to notice the 1080p benefit until you reach 46" and up in screen size.

Now the fact that you're buying from Walmart is a whole other bag of worms I won't get in to. All I'll say is look around and see if any local stores can give you a similar deal./

The set will display all content at 720p, meaning your average 1080i HD broadcast will be scaled down to 720p. Also, at that size range, you don't even have the option for 1080p right now, though Sharp just announced a 32" 1080p set which was accompanied with a big "Why?" since there is going to be almost no noticeable difference. If you ask me, though many will debate me, you don't start to notice the 1080p benefit until you reach 46" and up in screen size.

Now the fact that you're buying from Walmart is a whole other bag of worms I won't get in to. All I'll say is look around and see if any local stores can give you a similar deal./

Thanks for the reply bangbang023 I appreciate it :)

The reason I ask about what resolutions it support is because this one which it almost exactly like it except its a different color supports 480p, 720p, 1080i, 480i so I am assuming the one I am saving for supports 480p, 720p, 1080i, 480i as well. A 32" TV is big enough for me right now so I wont worry about 1080p until a few years down the road.

There is a local electronics store near me and they sell Sony stuff so I will see if they have it and see what they are asking for it. :)

They support 1080i, but everything is converted to the native 720p resolution. And, for the record, the only difference between those sets should be the color of the frame. I think Sony is phasing out the silver 2000 since it wasn't all that popular (black seems to be making a big comeback)

They support 1080i, but everything is converted to the native 720p resolution. And, for the record, the only difference between those sets should be the color of the frame. I think Sony is phasing out the silver 2000 since it wasn't all that popular (black seems to be making a big comeback)

Ok cool thanks for the help :) I can't wait to get it. You think I should notice a big difference in my PS3 and Xbox 360 games? Right now I have a regular TV 27" Sanyo it has Component 480i lol

Ok cool thanks for the help :) I can't wait to get it. You think I should notice a big difference in my PS3 and Xbox 360 games? Right now I have a regular TV 27" Sanyo it has Component 480i lol

Notice a difference? You're going to punch yourself in the face for not upgrading sooner lol. It's going to be a huge difference.

Notice a difference? You're going to punch yourself in the face for not upgrading sooner lol. It's going to be a huge difference.

lol SWEET! :D I do have one more quick question. Does it matter what kind of HDMI cable I get? Like is the $60.00 HDMI cable better than a $9.99 one or are they basicly all the same? :blink:

Over a short distance, no, it won't make a big difference. I wouldn't go buy something off ebay for $3, but anything you can pick up in a local shop for $20 or so should be of good enough quality.

Over a short distance, no, it won't make a big difference. I wouldn't go buy something off ebay for $3, but anything you can pick up in a local shop for $20 or so should be of good enough quality.

Ok cool :D Thanks for all of your help and time in answering my questions. :)

No problem. Whatever you do, though, when the guy offers the wires (most salesman will, inevitably) respectfully decline and ask if he has something a bit more affordable. The key to getting a good deal is never treating the guy like you're there to work against him. I know, for instance, I'll sometimes give out free delivery to customers simply because they were nice (without them even asking).

If anything else comes up, just post on here and I'll get to it eventually. I work during the week so I'm not always in the mood to deal with home theater when I get home lol, but I get to most threads within a day or two.

Sorry to hijack your thread but there's a question that I wanted to ask that was along similar lines to the OP...

Can someone please tell me why HDTV manufacturers make 720p TVs with a resolution of 1366x768? I thought that 720p had a resolution of 1280x720 so wouldn't there be some kind of stretching going on? It always seemed odd to me.

No problem. Whatever you do, though, when the guy offers the wires (most salesman will, inevitably) respectfully decline and ask if he has something a bit more affordable. The key to getting a good deal is never treating the guy like you're there to work against him. I know, for instance, I'll sometimes give out free delivery to customers simply because they were nice (without them even asking).

If anything else comes up, just post on here and I'll get to it eventually. I work during the week so I'm not always in the mood to deal with home theater when I get home lol, but I get to most threads within a day or two.

Thanks for all the advice :yes:

I forgot to mention that there is also a Sears store and they sell TVs so I will check there too. If the Sears store and Pioneer TV & Appliance(local electronics store) are priced more than the Wal-Mart site then I guess I will have to get it from walmart.com Although come to think of it there is a American electronics store but thats alittle farther away from me. I will check there and see if they sell Bravias.

Thanks for all the advice :yes:

I forgot to mention that there is also a Sears store and they sell TVs so I will check there too. If the Sears store and Pioneer TV & Appliance(local electronics store) are priced more than the Wal-Mart site then I guess I will have to get it from walmart.com Although come to think of it there is a American electronics store but thats alittle farther away from me. I will check there and see if they sell Bravias.

Sears guys will give you a discount if you haggle them. They love that commission.

Off to go drink a bit for the new year, so I don't think I'll be answering any more threads tonight lol.

I was considering this TV or I think it was this model, but after looking around I ended up buying the Samsung 32" very happy with my purchase. I notice a little-bit of ghosting-type but that can be fixed by putting it Game Mode. :D

What is your opinion on buying a TV online? Like from eBay or Tiger Direct etc....?

I check at the local Sears store today and they do sell it but it was out of stock. even the display one was gone just the stick was there will the price and info about it. They are asking $1,399.99 for it.

I wouldn't buy online. I'd much rather buy something like this from a place with a decent return policy, that way any issues with dead pixels out of the box can be corrected immediately.

I wouldn't buy online. I'd much rather buy something like this from a place with a decent return policy, that way any issues with dead pixels out of the box can be corrected immediately.

ok that is what I thought.

Have you heard if dead pixles are a common occurrence in this brand of TV? The Sony Bravia.

Can you really "wheel'n deal" with the sales person to get a discounted price? or do they usually just throw in free cables or shipping? If so how would you recommend I go about it?

Thanks again for answering my questions. :)

Dead pixels are random, you know? I haven't heard of them on many sets recently, but thats just one of many problems that can occur out of box. As for dealing with a salesman, try to find a place online selling it cheaper and point it out to him and ask what he can do to make his price a bit more competitive.

Sorry to hijack your thread but there's a question that I wanted to ask that was along similar lines to the OP...

Can someone please tell me why HDTV manufacturers make 720p TVs with a resolution of 1366x768? I thought that 720p had a resolution of 1280x720 so wouldn't there be some kind of stretching going on? It always seemed odd to me.

You can see from that ratio:

1366/768 = 1.7786458333333333333333333333333

1280/720 = 1.7777777777777777777777777777778

That the stretching will be in correct proportions, so that means it won't be noticable.

Dead pixels are random, you know? I haven't heard of them on many sets recently, but thats just one of many problems that can occur out of box. As for dealing with a salesman, try to find a place online selling it cheaper and point it out to him and ask what he can do to make his price a bit more competitive.

ok I will try that out. Once I save up some $$$$ I will buy it and let you all know how it goes and I will post some pics. too :D

Thanks again for all of your help and time bangbang023 :)

No problem. Unlike the "special" customers I deal with at work, people here tend to be a bit more technologically inclined and, thus, much easier to work with.

No problem. Unlike the "special" customers I deal with at work, people here tend to be a bit more technologically inclined and, thus, much easier to work with.

lol I understand how you feel :p I get that sometimes when I help out people I know with their computer problems or just technology in general lol

bangbang023 I went to the local electronics store and they do sell the Bravia and the have a special going on for $1,350 and the regular price is $1,399 lol

They also had another 32" bravia there but the woman said it was a SRX or SRD version I cant remember which one but it was alittle more for $1,599 what is the difference between the one I am looking at(32" BRAVIA? S-Series LCD HDTV KDL-32S2010) and the SRX or SRD(which ever one it is lol)?

Thanks for the hel:):)

XBR is probably what she said. The main difference is the WCG-CCFL lighting used in the XBR model that is not used in the S series. This lighting is supposed to enhance the percentage of the color spectrum the set can cover, especially in the red and green color areas.