Apple 2007

In any case it's not up to you to make that decision, and unless you're some hotshot at Apple the call to release an iPod nano with higher capacity isn't yours either.

If people are hoping for a ~10-16GB iPod nano (which will come eventually) for whatever reason, let them.

jesus calm down man, just stating my opinion.....

We don't resort to name calling here

Edited by Giga

I think what would be cool and make the first 30 years look ho-hum would be the release of OS X for both mac and pc. That would seriously change the face of computing.

If this is big.. Leopard could kill Vista and no this is not fanboyism talk; I'm a PC guy and I study these companies like you wouldn't believe ( I could be exaggerating on that too)

leopard cant kill vista...They are millions of corporate companies all over the world using windows as there OS..and most of the softwares were written with those API as base...in my company, office & windows are tied in every pc & allmost 100% we people depend on this & even migrating to a new version (like vista) has been schedule to april 2007...so in this case, the market share & support & softwares on windows will go high..

Current trend is XP...and people bashed XP in 2001...same does for vista..wait until mid 2008 & see how Vista & office 2007 looks!

jesus calm down man, just stating my opinion..... idiot

No, you were telling people an iPod nano isn't necessary because they can get a regular iPod. I was saying that different people have different views when it comes to this from the start.

Interesting you have to resort to using such language when others don't agree with you.

No, you were telling people an iPod nano isn't necessary because they can get a regular iPod. I was saying that different people have different views when it comes to this from the start.

Interesting you have to resort to using such language when others don't agree with you.

NO, i'm just saying 8Gb should be plenty...... i'm not saying people shouldnt get a nano

anyway back on topic

NO, i'm just saying 8Gb should be plenty......

Obviously not when having a library that exceeds that amount of storage. Many people prefer the iPod nano over the iPod because of it's size and the fact flash-based storage is much more resilient than conventional HDs.

No, you were telling people an iPod nano isn't necessary because they can get a regular iPod.

I meant to write:

"No, you were telling people an iPod nano with over 8GB of storage isn't necessary because they can get a regular iPod."

Edited by .Neo

OS X for both mac and pc. That would seriously change the face of computing.

Why would that change anything?

People will still associate the difference between Windows and OSX no matter what hardware is being used. If people really wanted to use OSX they would just buy a mac now. Just face the facts, people just don't care for OSX as much as they do for Windows.

Why would that change anything?

People will still associate the difference between Windows and OSX no matter what hardware is being used. If people really wanted to use OSX they would just buy a mac now. Just face the facts, people just don't care for OSX as much as they do for Windows.

Difference would be that there's more than one company providing computers running Mac OS X. It isn't so much that people don't care for using Mac OS X, it's that Microsoft Windows is featured by dozens of different computer manufacturers. Companies like Dell have mentioned on more than one occasion that they want to start selling computers with Mac OS X pre-installed, but they got a cold "no" from Apple.

It really wouldn't be in the best interest for Apple to offer Mac OS X for generic PCs. They'd have to start supporting an infinite amount of Hardware configurations like Microsoft have to and having to worry about legacy crap.

It really wouldn't be in the best interest for Apple to offer Mac OS X for generic PCs. They'd have to start supporting an infinite amount of Hardware configurations like Microsoft have to and having to worry about legacy crap.

whitch microsoft wories a bit to munch on....

I think apple should just stick with their own system to run mac OSX. Apple systems look so neat, and mac OSX goes well with them....

just clean and simple.....

damn apple....they get me every year.....first one was the mac mini (05) then the macbook pro (06) and not the iTV (07)......well maybe the itv....im not 100% sure but i think i'll get it

It's been said thousand of times, Apple is NOT a software company, it's a hardware company. Contrary to what many would think, they'd lose money if they made OS X for PC because they would lose sales.

Anyway the prices of Macs and PCs became very competitive now, so there's no reason to hesitate because the Mac is "more expensive".

It's been said thousand of times, Apple is NOT a software company, it's a hardware company. Contrary to what many would think, they'd lose money if they made OS X for PC because they would lose sales.
Exactly. Just look at the Mac Clones of the 90's. They nearly killed Apple. Edited by Matt T

Not to mention the amount of piracy they would have to deal with no doubt likely to result in some sort of OS/X activation and genuine advantage.

Ye i really cant wait to see what they release on the 9th well hopefully there should be a new MacBook Pro by July time for me to upgrade too, im looking forward to that :)

What I'm expecting

- Leopard full feature list, esp. the secret ones

- New cinema displays, they haven't been updated in ages

- iPhone (but I'd call it iPod mobile since Cisco owns the iPhone trademark)

- New iPods or price cuts

- New iWork, esp. new Keynote

- Website update with a darker color, say black (ever heard of black leopard?)

just thinking could one of the secret features of leopard be run any windows app with an emulator type thing kinda like classic that would coincide with the phrase the first 30 years were just the begining :) :)

What I'm expecting

- Leopard full feature list, esp. the secret ones

- New cinema displays, they haven't been updated in ages

- iPhone (but I'd call it iPod mobile since Cisco owns the iPhone trademark)

- New iPods or price cuts

- New iWork, esp. new Keynote

- Website update with a darker color, say black (ever heard of black leopard?)

1. I don't see why not, vista is done, they can't add anything to it now. so none of the coping game (unless they do it in SP1).

2. I read on the appe rumors site, that the cinema display may be updated with bulit in iSight and advance HDMI outputs. The curent cinema dispay was introduced in 2004, so an update may well be here.

3. perhapps a iMobile with mac OSX lite, like windows moblie devices, but the mac side

4. YES! new ipods, true video ipod, mid range ipod,

5. iWork '07 and iLife '07 should be anouced also

6. I went to archive.org and looked up past apple website, they had this same look for about 7 years, (tabs on top etc) website update may be in the works.....

Edited by Tech_Dude_5000

just thinking could one of the secret features of leopard be run any windows app with an emulator type thing kinda like classic that would coincide with the phrase the first 30 years were just the begining :) :)

And kill off OS X development? The last time something like that was tried was with OS/2. OS/2 included support for MS applications so nobody bothered to make native OS/2 apps.

SAN FRANCISCO - Technophiles are eagerly waiting to learn whether the king of digital music can colonize an entirely new category of consumer electronics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Jobs, chief executive of Apple Computer Inc., is expected to launch at least one revolutionary product Tuesday at the Macworld Conference & Expo in San Francisco. Speculation has focused mainly on an Apple-branded cellular phone and a set-top box that allows people to send video from their computers to their televisions.

Although Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris declined comment on "rumors and speculation," bloggers, enthusiasts and investors have been continually guessing whether Jobs will unveil a "smart phone" (which some are calling iPhone), iTV or both.

Apple's iPod music player wasn't the first on the market when it launched in 2001. But its sleek design and intuitive user interface quickly made it a hit.

Industry analysts believe another well-designed product from Apple could seriously threaten major tech companies such as Motorola Inc.,

Nokia Corp., Samsung Electronics Co., Verizon Wireless and

TiVo Inc.

Expectations for Macworld are so lofty that a failure to launch an earth-shattering product this week could dent Apple's already volatile stock price, investors say. The stock has traded in a 52-week range of $50.16 to $93.16. It closed Friday at $85.05 on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

Wall Street's confidence in Apple has wavered slightly because of the possibility that improper handling of employee stock options would erase some of Apple's record profits. The scandal threatened to plunge Jobs into a legal morass, if not cost him his job.

Still, anticipation is so breathless in the blogosphere that some pundits have already credited Apple with changing the global telecommunications sector ? even though the iPhone is technically still "vaporware," or nonexistent.

The mere suggestion that Apple might make a glamorous, simple cell phone that downloads, plays and shares digital music has intimidated competitors, said Avi Greengart, an analyst with Current Analysis.

"Even if Apple does not announce a phone, just the threat of Apple's entry could spur innovation," Greengart wrote in a research note Thursday. "If Apple builds a phone that is easy and genuinely pleasurable to use, the company will have a winner no matter how it is priced or sold."

Apple also is expected to unveil a set-top box designed to bridge computers and television sets so users can more easily watch their downloaded movies on a big screen. The move would complement Apple's entry into online movies ? it began selling titles through its iTunes store in September.

As Apple launched online movies, Jobs showed off a gadget that streams high-definition videos, selling for $299 starting sometime in the first quarter. Analysts believe the demo was of the prerelease version of the iTV that could be introduced at Macworld, venue for many of Apple's monumental product launches over the years.

The demo, which looked like a flatter but wider version of the Mac Mini computer, worked with computers running Apple's

Macintosh or Microsoft Corp.'s Windows systems and used Apple's iTunes software to manage multimedia files. A small hard drive was expected to be included with iTV.

The product could be as revolutionary to digital movies as the iPod was to digital music. Both devices would be seen as liberating media from the computer, allowing people to enjoy digital files without being chained to a desktop or laptop.

The iTV could generate millions of new customers ? not just iPod-wearing hipsters but garden variety couch potatoes and big spenders on home entertainment systems, said principal analyst Josh Bernoff of Cambridge, Mass.-based Forrester Research.

"There are a whole lot more people who watch TV than listen to digital music," Bernoff said. "This could be a great edge for Apple."

Apple needs a hit next week to keep employees focused on products, not scandal. But hype over iPhone and iTV has become so deafening on blogs and Web sites that disappointment may result, said Mike Gartenberg, research director of New York-based JupiterResearch.

"The key isn't whether Apple introduces a phone or new iPod or iTV but whether over time the company keeps launching new products that capture consumers' imaginations," Gartenberg said. "That's their continuing challenge going forward, and it's a tough one."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070107/ap_on_.../apple_macworld

Anyway the prices of Macs and PCs became very competitive now, so there's no reason to hesitate because the Mac is "more expensive".

I haven't heard or read that Apple is not a software company also. Who says that it's not ? I'd really like to know.

I always think of Apple as being a software AND a hardware company. Who makes OS X if not Apple ?

The above is not to rerail the thread in any way. Just a quick question really.

For Apple in 2007 i'd like to see Leopard of course and a phone wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm going to buy both iWork'07 and iLife'07 when I see some money coming my way. I hope to get a tax refund in March :)

cya.

Apple make software to support their hardware and generate all their money through hardware sales. They started off as a hardware company when they made the original Apple machines. Today OS X is just there to run the Mac. The iPod is also a great example of Apple being a hardware company. It's also why they don't care if you run other OS's on Apple hardware, because Apple still make money through the sale of their hardware.

In the continuing build up of hype leading to the Macworld SF 2007 keynote, Cult of Mac blog posts this anonymous tidbit:

...a very trusted (and extremely anonymous) source of mine in Silicon Valley told me recently that he has it on good faith that Apple CEO Steve Jobs has invited all of his best friends to his MacWorld SF Keynote on Tuesday. In Silicon Valley buzz code, that means he's got something really special to show.

Meanwhile, International Herald Tribute's article about Apple's upcoming device claims that "[Jobs]was more excited about his current project than he was about the Macintosh."

Steve Jobs was previously reported to have been very excited about the Apple Phone and uncharacteristically vocal about it to his inner circle.

In the hours/days before the Macworld Expo, an acceleration of rumors and hype is common. Readers should temper their excitement with some realism to prevent being disappointed by the event. Despite the almost ubiquitous expectation for an Apple Phone at Macworld, our roundup revealed most sources pointed to a release in the 1st half of 2007.

MacRumours still think it's an iPhone then.