Urgent! Ok what happened? Computer takes 5 min to boot?

Hi there, the other day I was submitting an assingment on freewebs.com. I was getting frustraited with it because they dont allow you to upload much. Anyway I kept signing in and out quickly so I could get it done in time. Suddenly my computer just went all slow.... and i got so fed up with it I went to shut down (when it eventually loaded the start button menu) and shut down. after maybe 20 minutes it shut down. As it restarted, it took around 5 minutes at the boot screen, took another 5 minutes or so to get to the welcome screen. I went into my account and that took ages too. What I found was the whole computer was just going so slow. ..... sometimes you know how you could have soooooo many programs running at once? and your mouse starts to dodge around the screen (not smoothly)?. I'd go into windows media player and it seemed that everytime the "busy" light on my laptop flickered the music would jump. ITS ANNOYING! When I did control alt delete, the light wouldnt flicker as much (duno why this happens.... but its something I picked up years ago. If ur computer freezes do control alt delete and it seems to stop a few processers) so then I could listen to music a little better.

I created another account on my computer because it shouldnt have many processes running. This stilld doesnt help. I've restarted a few times and dont wanna do it anymore because it just takes too long to load.

What happened? does anyone know how to fix this?? :(

1. What version of Windows are you running?

2. Have you checked in msconfig under startup to see what is booting

3. Have you scanned for spyware using a good spyware,adware or virus checker and antivirus?

4. Did you install anything that might of had a problem?

5. How long has it been since you formated?

under speculation it sounds like spyware or a virus, make sure you check your system.

Uhh ok. well

1: Im running windows XP

2: I just checked msconfig, but I dunno which ... well... is good and bad. im good at computers but not that good yet. lol

3: I have scanned for spyware, nothing.

4: No programs were installed, I was just on a website that I used to go on years ago to upload stuff. freewebs.com. I guess I was rushing the computer too much, and it just broke down on me or something. I thought it would be better after restarting/switching it off for a while. But it wasnt.

5: I got this laptop in september 2005, hasnt been formatted. (didnt wanna lose all my stuff)

perhaps the computer was trying to "cache" or "process" the files that were to be uploaded and you simply overloaded it. why did you need that website?

perhaps the computer was trying to "cache" or "process" the files that were to be uploaded and you simply overloaded it. why did you need that website?

roflmao bbq

so liek post j00 process list and msconfig lawl

thanks for all the comments :(. Im thinking its my harddrive or something.

The website freewebs.com. is a host that allows you to create a website. I had to go there to upload my assignment.

I havent tried in safemode yet, I was going to. I just tried restarting before and this time for the computer to fully load, it took 40 minutes. :( This is killing me

why not make use of the webspace that your ISP gives you? I do make use of my 20mb space with my ISP. No ads and i paid for to use that space as part of my broadband plan.

When you do Ctrl+Alt+Del see if there are any processes that take up all the resources. There might be something that is F'ing up and causing the rest of the system to screw up too.... But that should be just when you are in Windows and not the boot screen etc.

Here is your next step:

BACK UP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT DATA NOW... LIKE NOW NOW NOW. Go

Generally theres just things like svchost that runs and takes up 20 000 k for some reason. then iE can take up around 80 (depending on whats running on there), and msn takes up around 30.

You know what the funnies thing is? The other day I was going to go out and buy a portable hard drive, 250 gb for around $160. I went there and they didnt have it in stock. I thought stuff it i'm not gonna go elsewhere to get it. I got home, the next day this happens to my computer.... now im thinkin... "SHIIITTT" :( :s

I don't know if this will help but what about running like Error Checking (Right click on C Drive and find it under properties) and/or Disk Defragmenter?

Are any of the processes taking up a lot of CPU? I checked my svchost and it is around the same as yours. IE is around 43K so all that does not seem to be the problem.

Also, could it be a malfunctioning piece of hardware? I doubt it will cause these kinds of problems, but what if you have plugged in some new device and that has led Windows to throw a hissy fit?

Sorry to hear about the hard drive deal. See if you can still get something from somewhere. That way you can back up the important stuff and then try wiping everything off and starting from scratch. I learned the hard way a couple of years ago. My computer died and I had 0 backups. Lost a ton of files, music, pictures... you name it. Sorry bud. Good luck!

i cant really do a disk defrag cause it would take too long... and i cant cause you need at least 15% free space on your computer. - However I have a program that does the defragment, so I did that the other day. System mechanic i think its called. It fixed problems and stuff on my computer, but it's still slow.

I have no idea what this could be then. I thought really it could be a hardware problem... but if it seems unlikey, then.... i dunno.

I have lost all my stuff before on a computer. So it wouldnt suprise me if it happened now i guess

1.) How much free space is left? (Very low disk space could cause this, due to windows not being able to page to the disk quickly)

2.) Post a screen shot of task manager, process tab, so we can see what is currently running.

3.) What anti-spyware and anti-virus software did you scan with?

4.) OK run msconfig and on the General tab under Startup Selection choose Selective Startup and then uncheck Load Startup Items and click ok then reboot. (This disables all startup items, dont worry they are not deleted or anything like that, you simply choose the normal startup check box next time in msconfig to restore settings.) So lets see if you still have the issue after doing this...

THere is around 1 gb left on my computer, I origianlly had 700 mb but made around 3 gb space. So it should still be ok with 1gb (cause it didnt do this when there was only 700 mb left)

What is really annoying me at the moment is the busy light on the computer would flicker... and then this would jump (moving the mouse, typing etc) until it stops. it flickers for about a split second. after another 2 seconds it does it again. and is constant. But yea when I do control alt delete it sorta stops it. :s I dunno whats going on. I've poseted my proccess in an attachment.

I used to have VET as an antivirus (now called eTrust)... but I uninstalled it for kasperspy?? :s Apparently that was really good. Another antivirus I had was spyware doctor, that was also good.

Next time I plan on shutting down my computer or restarting I will try the msconfig section.

I am starting to think that perhaps this is a hardware problem. Because why else would the busy light on the computer also affect my music in windows media player. When the mouse goes slow, and my typing stops while the light flickers, the music does the same thing :s. I am seriously stumped on this. Usually I know I can fix anything, by doing virus scans or even getting a HINT on what it could be. BUt I dont know anything right now.... which is also why I came to the conclusion that it could be a hardware problem :( :s

Sorry here is the uploaded image

post-156309-1168736951_thumb.jpg

I just tried now to shut down windows and I got this message:

Server Busy

This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose "switch to" to activate the busy program and correct the problem.

(Buttons): Switch to, retry, cancel (Cancel couldnt be clicked on because it wasnt able to be selected)

That happened when I went to shut down. So I ended up just pressing the power button.

I ran in safe mode, the computer seemed to go a little bit faster. At least it loaded quicker..

Does this still mean it could be a spyware or something? I thought maybe hardware. I even checked out HijackThis for anyproblems and it all seemed ok.

Is it possible that one of his memory chips or sticks are near/dead?

No, he would have much worse things to deal with if that were the case. Things such as freezes, blue screens etc..

Repair install? How about "Last known configuration that worked"? Just an idea

I remember going to boot in safe mode and that option was there. Personally I dont think that would work? would it? Cause I thought then the computer would simply run a normal start up because that worked.

*sigh* it so sucks!! :s

The only problems I can think that have been happening relating to hardware issues is if the computer gets hot it will overheat. it does that when its on my lap for a long time cause i gues the fan is blowing the air onto my leg so it cant escape. .... thats the only thing. So hardware is ruled out, and so is virus's cause i've done that many scans it aint funny. I've used kasperky (spelling) ... vet, spyware doctor, .. er and just a little program I found "hijack this" which didnt show anything either. :s

By the way, Im a she... not a he

Get Windows Defender at Microsoft, scan your computer, see if you have spyware.

Or you could run System Restore if you have it running and choose a date before all this started happening :)

if my boot time goes over 2 mins i reformat :p i would recommend doing the same ;) burn everything to DVD and you will be OK for file backup

Sianlee,

It seems like you have a laptop. Can you tell me what power scheme it is you're using.

Go to the "Control Panel", click on "Power Settings" and tell us the power scheme.

Power scheme: Portable/Laptop

When computer is plugged in: NEVER FOR ALL (I configured it to be like that)

But when its on batteries:

Turn off monitor: after 5 minutes

Turn off hard dists: after 3 minutes

system standby: after 10 minutes

system hibernates: after 30 minutes

I'm not going to reformat my computer. If anything in due course I will just get a new one. I've had this since august last year. Its a compaq presario M2000.

I did have windows defender, but I uninstalled it. But I'll download it and post results here. There shouldnt be any traces of spyware