Breaking News: Cisco Sues apple over iPhone 'name'

Pubicity issue.. maybe? Its probably not going to hurt them too much.. but the product has been all over in the news as "iPhone" already and there is a good chance that Apple might have to pay a fee for this too. so yeh i dunno

While it is true that it has been all over the news as the iPhone, most consumers won't remember about it when it is released. The iPhone won't be released until June of this year, so by then most consumers aren't going to remember the name and it will be very easy to rebrand it as a different name. I don't see a problem at all.

I thought Cisco sold the patent to Apple for a boatload of money like an hour before Apple unveiled the iPhone. Hrm.. :unsure:

It isn't a patent, it is a trademark. Apple and Cisco were in talks to allow Apple to use the trademark, however Apple went ahead of finalizing a deal with Cisco and publicly announced the iPhone. Cisco didn't like this and is now suing Apple.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco senior vice president and general counsel, in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Another name suggestion: iCall

I think it sounds pretty nice.

The problem with that is iCall only describes the phone as a phone and the iPhone is so much more than a phone. I don't think iPhone does this all-in-one wonder justice either. Apple has such an awesome marketing team I can't figure out why they have come up with a better name that would revolutionize the cell phone/pda/smartphone industry.

When you think about the MP3 market, you think of it an the iPod market. The iPod was a unique name, they didn't call it iMP3 Player because that really doesn't describe the power of the iPod. The iPod is a very unique device as is the iPhone and the name really is a poor choice on Apple's part in the first place.

iLife-2-Go

That's actually a really good name. It's to bad that iLife is taken by software because just calling it iLife would be awesome.

Apple needs to come up with a phone name that is unique like BlackJack or BlackBerry. Those are cool names and that are easily remembered. iPhone is just to blah!

Stupid Apple, should have reached an agreement before the Keynote.

Anyway, Apple's in the wrong here, either going to reach an agreement, or just change the name (i doubt they have even submitted it to the FCC yet, they have lots of time to change it)

iPodPhone? iPhonePod? iTalk? iTouch?

I acutally cannot see anyway in which Apple think they are gonna be successful here. Just cause you own iPod, iMac, and pretty much i[AnythingElse] it doesn't give you rights to someone else's trademark, even if it is similar. Everyone saw the iPhone coming for a looong time. Apple should have registered the name a lot earlier.

*Goes off to trademark iZoom* :D

The name is something very critical for Apple, and if they end up having to change the name from iPhone to something else...it won't just be a small deal..for them this is make or break. If they dont get it, things would get ugly for Apple. I really can't imagine Apple even giving up that name..tough to happen. Should be interesting how things turn out.

Haha. I love it.

The negotiations aren't going fast enough so Steve shows the phone anyway, without having the right to the iPhone name yet.

Not to mention the legal right to even sell the phone in the US, as it still has not officially received FCC approval yet. Wouldn't it be funny if for some strange reason, the phone ended up not being cleared for sale?

Just goes to show the arrogance of Apple. They think that because they sell so many ipods they have the right to use any ibrand they want. They muscled over several smaller companies to use the names so i'm glad Cisco aren't being pushed around on this one.

Go Cisco.

look whaat was on the iphone's site:

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

iThinkAppleDeservedThisRoyally.

iLikeIt! :laugh:

I hope Cisco take them to court and force them into giving up the name. Apple have been bullying small companies and individuals for some time over names that they don't deserve. About time someone bullied them back!

I'm sure this is going to be settled out of the court. All ya'll wanting payback to Apple won't get it. :p You'd have better luck looking towards the stock options trouble they're in.

Well, if Cisco decides not to settle (unless Apple pays a hefty, hefty, price) then I'm sure they will win on this hand. They've had it since 2000, way earlier than when the stock of the iPod started to raise.

In fact that trademark was registered on March 20, 1996 by Infogear, Cisco went on to buy them in 2000.

Also it's worth noting that Cisco didn't want money for the use but wanted Apple to open up the platform to some of there services.