Component Video vs. HDTV

Ok... So I am really confused.

I have a Sony Wega CRT that has component video ports. I researched a little bit and seem to find conflicting reports as to what component video really is. Is it HDTV? (I don't think so and so i gathered from some sources) because I believe HDTV is digital and component video is kick ass, BUT still analog. Now, the plot thickened yesterday when i got a new component video cable from Monster. Guess what the sticker on it said? You guessed it... HDTV.

Anybody care to explain briefly whats the difference?

Component video CAN be HD, though on your set it's probably not. For the TV you have, the component video is simply a means of getting the bets possible picture out of what you have.

^yep

generally any timing above 480i/480p is considered HD

if you TV can accept a timing of 720p, 1080i, 1080p then it is HD

most likely your TV can only accept 480i via component cables.

what they have said is all true.

component cables can transmit enough data to produce output in HD (720p, 1080i, 1080p).

But unless your TV supports these resolutions, then it will just give you a better quality image compared to S-video or composite cables.

480p is considered ED (enhanced definition), while 480i and below are SD (standard definition).

Component cables can do all of these, as long as your TV supports them.

It's been said, but HDTV is defined by resolution, not the type of transmission signal. HDTV is 720p, 1080i or 1080p. This signal can be carried in analog format by component cables, or in digital format by DVI or HDMI cables.

Any idea how I figure out the timing of a TV? I tried looking through my manual but didn't find anything. Just curious :) Thanks

If your manual doesn't say anything about HDTV or HD resolutions, then it's most likely your TV is not an HD TV. You could try Google for your television model for more information also, but it seems likely it's not a television made for HD content.