Denon: HDMI 1.3 and HD audio decoding, Finally!

I personally haven't heard about this from anywhere else, so I believe Denon is the first to market to offer HD audio decoding in their line of products along with HDMI 1.3:

AVP Processor

The AVP Processor sports virtually all of the features currently found on the AVR-5805CI with some added bonuses including:

HDMI 1.3

Analog to HDMI Conversion and upscaling to 1080p

Realta HQV Processing

Dolby TruHD and DTS HD decoding

Multi Channel Zone 2 Output for dual surround zones

Zone 4 Digital Audio

Simply HD Certified silicon image approves connectivity and operability

Remote maintenance program

Wireless audio streaming with WMA support

Balanced outputs

Source

This line takes the cake though:

Pricing has not officially been announced but we?d expect it to be less than a small import car.

You know, I always wondered why my upconverting DVD player couldn't send audio through the HDMI. Is this because all current HDMI-capable DVD players use the HDMI for video only?

You know, I always wondered why my upconverting DVD player couldn't send audio through the HDMI. Is this because all current HDMI-capable DVD players use the HDMI for video only?

YUP! HDMI does not stream HD audio for conversion at all. There are NO receiver or pre-amps on the market right now that can decode these tracks. 2007 is shaping up to be a great year!

Pink Floyd, this wont be for the Best Buy shoppers of world just yet. As the big toys get released the tech will become available for the big box vendors. For the most recent receiver on the market that already have HDMI incorporated, check with your dealer for possible firmware upgrades.

Huh? Audio should send through the HDMI fine.

The whole purpose of HDMI is to include audio.

Huh? Audio should send through the HDMI fine.

I wonder if he is referring to the rec. that have the HDMI passthrough.... audio will not be 5.1 instead it will just pass through on to the tv... if thats not what he means.. then i have no clue..

as far as i know HDMI only sends AC3-2.0 Audio. I might be wrong tho since some TVs have an optical output to output the signal from HDMI to the receiver. I'm not sure if that's sent in 5.1 or 2.0 tho.

YUP! HDMI does not stream HD audio for conversion at all. There are NO receiver or pre-amps on the market right now that can decode these tracks. 2007 is shaping up to be a great year!

My PS3 is only connected via HDMI to my TV and the audio plays out of the speakers, so it's sending audio out via HDMI.

My PS3 is only connected via HDMI to my TV and the audio plays out of the speakers, so it's sending audio out via HDMI.

Ya it can stream audio, but not the HD audio streams as stated, I should have elaborated, thanks. To the poster, I would check with your user manuals and the company websites for further clarification for your problem.

Shotta, HDMI is more than capable of transmitting 7.1 channels of uncompressed audio as well as HD video together; you just need a decoder to process these audio streams or suffer down conversion to near DTS quality, which by no means is bad. DTS kicks ares!

I'm bewildered why it has taken the industry so long to pump out AVR's that can decode these new audio formats. Hasn't HD-DVD been out now for two years and only now we can buy toys to play with them? :argh: