SmartFlip

It's not working for me.

I'm running vista basic that came with my laptop.

1. When the option to replace the win+tab button is selected, it doesn't replace the win+tab switching thing.

so I tried...

2. I then set it to a key press(default f9) and all that happens is I get a transparent gradient that covers the desktop, no window(previews) or anything, just a transparent gradient. I have to press esc or f9 a second time to get rid of that transparent gradient.

--------------------------------

I don't know if this would help or not but I'm getting the same exact problems with a similar program called 'myexpose'. I also(according to myexpose people) installed microsoft visual c++, because it said to install if there's problems.

topdesk works fine.

This is actually working great on my laptop (Macbook Core 2 Duo 2Ghz, Intel GMA 950 graphics) except for one major issue...

The window I select isn't brought to the foreground! It just starts flashing in the taskbar! Kinda ruins the usefulness of it...

yeah i got the same problem too :(

Other than that, this is a very good mod. You should look into the code of the guy who made My Expos? for Vista, and perhaps enable that way of displaying in the options.

hi everbody!

I'm new at the forum and this was the first ap i wanted to check out. looks great and works like a charm!

happy posting!

BvB

Hi, this is a good utility but I'm curious to know how it is that this program has a slow performance in respect to the similar expos? feature of MacOSX.

Another program similar to this is Switcher, that is a little more responsive. The main problem with SmartFlip, to me, it's the initial lag when you press F9. During this time, the mouse is blocked and it's all immobile. When I enter in the SmartFlip options, there is a similar lag too.

Edited by Dott.Wisem

I have a question...I noticed that on the video provided on youtube you were able to switch between different desktops, and not application windows. When I downloaded it and began using the application, only application windows were displayed and not desktops. How do I enable or activate the desktop smartflip, and not the windows smartflip?

I have a question...I noticed that on the video provided on youtube you were able to switch between different desktops, and not application windows. When I downloaded it and began using the application, only application windows were displayed and not desktops. How do I enable or activate the desktop smartflip, and not the windows smartflip?

nevermind...im dumb...haha i thought wrong.

Works great here, no performance issues at all, but I do have:

AMD 64 X2 5200+ @ 3.0Ghz

2GB DDR2 @ 500Mhz

Geforce 8800 GTS

Anyways, yes that wold be great if the desktop was an option just like in the orignal.

orly.jpg

• 5 months later...

Nice utility. I am having the same performance issue others have mentioned with beta2:

When I press the hotkey, the windows display quickly, but there is a 2-second delay before I can flip through the windows list. Flipping is very vast after that.

Also, sometimes the selected window doesn't come forward.

My machine:

Dell D820

Centrino Core2 Duo T7200 2GHz

2 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro NVS110M - 128 MB

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is just what a colleague wanted. He said Flip 3D was too slow compared to Alt-Tab and Flip 3D didn't show the window titles. On my system, if anything, the speed of SmartFlip is too fast, but I like it. Very well done, but needs a little bit of troubleshooting. Using the scroll wheel on the mouse to flip through windows panes, it keeps skipping 1 or 2 panes.

I've played around with the duration settings for animation and I've only been able to use the scroll wheel to flip one window pane at a time on the vey first trigger after applying the settings. I don't even know which animation setting might have made the difference, if any.

On any subsequent triggers, it reverts to skipping panes, stopping on the 2nd or 3rd pane. Kind of like solitaire, when you draw three, and you just can't seem to get to the card you need that's in between.

However, I can always point to the window I want and click to select it as the active one. i just don't get to see it enlarged in the forefront. I can also tap the Window-Tab key combo to cycle one window at a time. When I release the Window key, the selected window pops to the front. I just wish the mouse wheel could be made to work.

The labels of the duration settings are not self-explanatory. These need to be explained in the Readme or a Help file. Trying to detect the effect of each is nearly impossible and would be way too time consuming for any user to try teaching themselves, especially with no promise of success.

I'm running Vista Home Premium on an HP m7760n with the Core2 Duo E6300, 2GB RAM and a GeForce 8600GT with 256MB of GDDR3 for a WEI graphics score of 5.9, but an overall score of 5.1, because of the processor.

I now have a 2 pixel by 50 pixel strip along the left side of the screen I can use to trigger SmartFlip. Just by moving my mouse to the left of the lowest icon in the first row, I can trigger SmartFlip. Starting at 0,915 pixels from the left top, the trigger strip is far enough to the left of that icon and above the Start button, that I can get to them easily without triggering SmartFlip.

I also notice that when I make changes on some tabs in the options, I must make sure my selections haven't changed on the other tabs before I click Save. Sometimes they seem to revert to other settings. For example, the top of my trigger zone keeps changing from 915 to 1080 , although my screen is only 1680x1050. What's up with that? In another case, the "load on startup" and "replace Flip 3D" settings reverted to the default, being turned off.

Is this still being developed and is voice recognition still coming?

Hi! I second what SecurITguy said....is this still under development? Can someone reach/contact the developer? It's a great application and I would really like to see it improved and expanded...thanks!

this thread is one-post-wonder-tastic!!

I like the look of this, trying it now on my laptop w/ Vista Ultimate, we'll see if its got the req skills to do things properly.

• 1 month later...

i have downloaded smartflip and tried it but all i get

is a darkened screen as if it is working but nothing else.

please help!

thanks

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

hey guys,

I just downloaded this program smartflip right, but the screen comes up totally black with no miniatures anywhere...

is there something I can do about that?

I would really appreciate your help you guys.

ltr

Joe