Ofcom probes Big Brother 'racism'

You just generalized about 1/6th of the world's population. Great job. The world needs more people like you.

You again generalized about a billion people. I admire your logic.

WTF are you on about? are you even reading the threads properly? Are you even understanding the posts properly? Or have you come here just to try twisting my words and cause flaime bate?

As for me generalizing, i meant the Indians in the UK. Sorry i didnt make that clear. However, taking a look at some of your posts quoting my text, you seem to be doing a good job prooving my point :)

that's what i was saying. i said it's not racist, it was ignorance becuase she was asking that as a question.

about the part of correcting them, she wasn't asking her, but talking about her to someone else as far as i could see.

Realy? Ah, i didnt realise that, i thought she was directing this to her in person. In that case it could be bullying, however it was not directed to her and was said to someone without her listening... Isnt that freedom of speach? Just because the public can hear, shouild it be up to the bigbrother people to bleep it out?

WTF are you on about? are you even reading the threads properly? Are you even understanding the posts properly? Or have you come here just to try twisting my words and cause flaime bate?

As for me generalizing, i meant the Indians in the UK. Sorry i didnt make that clear. However, taking a look at some of your posts quoting my text, you seem to be doing a good job prooving my point :)

Realy? Ah, i didnt realise that, i thought she was directing this to her in person. In that case it could be bullying, however it was not directed to her and was said to someone without her listening... Isnt that freedom of speach? Just because the public can hear, shouild it be up to the bigbrother people to bleep it out?

You said some Indian followed your sister and did some things he shouldn't have done. However, how does this guy represent the Indian community as a whole? All over the world, Indians are regarded peaceful and cultured.

You also said that 'To some degree this is the type of word play that indians like to do.' I'm sorry but if this isn't generalizing about a community, then I don't know what it is.

Frankly, I don't care what you say about Indians or people of any other country. What I hate is people generalizing about a group just because of the actions of one or two people.

If you read my 280 odd posts in this forum, not in one place have I tried to start a flame war. Maybe you should read more carefully next time.

yeah Rich we seem to be agreeing about some of the points but not managing to see it. it is bullying, not really racist bullying. people are just overreacting. or maybe it's just that my view of racism differs to some other people's views.

You said some Indian followed your sister and did some things he shouldn't have done. However, how does this guy represent the Indian community as a whole? All over the world, Indians are regarded peaceful and cultured.

You also said that 'To some degree this is the type of word play that indians like to do.' I'm sorry but if this isn't generalizing about a community, then I don't know what it is.

Frankly, I don't care what you say about Indians or people of any other country. What I hate is people generalizing about a group just because of the actions of one or two people.

If you read my 280 odd posts in this forum, not in one place have I tried to start a flame war. Maybe you should read more carefully next time.

Listen. I am generalising about the whole Indian (or Muslim) British community. This was not the only time this happened to a girl i know by an Indian or Muslim person. Say what you like, but to be honest you know fuc* all about my experiance with Indian or Muslim people so cant say i am generalising because a "few" isolated insidence.

Yes, Indians or Muslims tend to play on words and use the racist card as much as possible in the UK, especially if it benifits them.

I dont care to read your 280 odd posts in this forum. Going by your current posts here i dont like you and you seem to not like me, so why dont you just put me on your ignore list and ill put you on mine eh.

yeah Rich we seem to be agreeing about some of the points but not managing to see it. it is bullying, not really racist bullying. people are just overreacting. or maybe it's just that my view of racism differs to some other people's views.

I completely agree here, it is bullying, but i wouldnt say racist. Sorry about my previous posts, i didnt realise they where not asking a question, but rather talking behind her back.

It's not even bullying. Quite a lot of TV channels all around the world try to 'generate' viewer interest through controversies. If you see the chain of events, you will realize that this controversy seems scripted. They bring in a famous Indian actress, pay her lots of money.. then they introduce some people(correct me if i'm wrong here) in the show who aren't that friendly to this Indian actress. They try to bully her. I think it's scripted. The fact that we are discussing about it proves that the channel has been successful in generating interest among the viewers.

I posted in this thread only because I felt some people were stereotyping. First, Shilpa did not complain of any racism/bullying. Second, most of the complainants were British Whites.

Now, this brings me to my previous post. When I saw someone saying that 'To some degree this is the type of word play that indians like to do', I was disturbed(not angry) that in this age people can stereotype about a community without knowing the facts of the case.

And no, not all Indians use their hands to eat food. Only a small proportion of people in a few parts of India eat using their hands.

And no, we don't eat uncooked chicken.

if it is scripted/some sort of publicity stunt then it's going wrong because people are supposedly getting death threats and the sponsors are thinking of backing out.

a case where any publicity is not necessarily good publicity?

if it is scripted/some sort of publicity stunt then it's going wrong because people are supposedly getting death threats and the sponsors are thinking of backing out.

a case where any publicity is not necessarily good publicity?

Yep.

I dont care to read your 280 odd posts in this forum. Going by your current posts here i dont like you and you seem to not like me, so why dont you just put me on your ignore list and ill put you on mine eh.

While my views my differ from yours, I haven't got anything personal against you. I'm sorry if my posts sounded as if I had something personal against you. It's difficult to gauge the tone of a person from what he has written.

It would be interesting to know why you feel that Indians in the UK use the race card too often. In this instance, the Indian actress did not accuse anyone of bullying/racism; it were the British audiences(a large part of them British whites, judging the reactions on various news sites/forums) that raise objections. So, in this instance, how is the Indian community in the UK responsible for playing the race card?

I don't think it's that racist, they are just showing how ignorant they are more than anything. As usual though it's being made into the biggest deal possible.

And no, not all Indians use their hands to eat food. Only a small proportion of people in a few parts of India eat using their hands.

lol you gotta be kidding me. Most Indians eat food using their hands. how can eat masaladosa or naan using knife and fork.? and whats wrong with that.

And no, we don't eat uncooked chicken.

that i agree with

lol you gotta be kidding me. Most Indians eat food using their hands. how can eat masaladosa or naan using knife and fork.? and whats wrong with that.

I meant people who mix rice and dal and eat with their hands.

I meant people who mix rice and dal and eat with their hands.

Rce/dal or Idli/sambar whats wrong with eating with hands?

RWI? :blink:

I doubt many people in this section watch that waste of brain cells tv show.

Anywho, if she's saying they're racist because they won't eat her undercooked chicken it's time for:

1) They need to kick her off the show

2) She needs to show how they're racist for not wanting to get sick from eating undercooked chicken

she disn't claim it was racist. the viewers did.

What if you replace "the Indian" by "the Frenchman" in the second case? That's acceptable isn't it?

No, why would it be? It's clearly pejorative in that use. Yes, it can be an effective description to identify someone but using it as a label to pigeonhole them is clearly wrong.

If you are bullying based on someone's race then it is racist. A lot of what might be acceptable in the UK would not be in Canada (or at least Toronto). Those types of statements would likely get you ostracized here unless you clearly would doing it in good humour while teasing a close friend.

The white people tend not to be so racist.

lol :rofl:

My sister has been followed by an indian guy before who kept calling and coming round asking her out. This guy was married with kids, but that didnt matter to him (because in his religion he is alowed to do that). However, as soon as she told him to **** of (after of course asking 10 or 20 times to stop it, nicely) he then said she was racist, told all the asian people he could that she was racist and that she spat in his face.

Now what realy happened was that he knocked on her door early one morning. She answered the door and he said hello then asked her if he could talk and he was sorry. Being nieve she let him in. They where in the kitchen and the kids where next door eating their breakfast. He walked in to the kitchen got her in a corner and starting touching her breast.

My sister then grabbed his hand and put it behind his back, told him if he ever came near her again she would break every bone in his body and to **** of out of her house.

So now she is classed as racist... basically because she didnt want sex with an asian guy. Of course in Muslims eyes this is all her fault because she wasnt wearing a traditional Muslim dress to cover her whole body, forget the fact that this is an English country where that rule does not apply.

Well put.

you know 80% + Indians are not Muslims right? I'll assume then you are talking abt an Indian Muslim.

If you hear similar stories where an Indian girl was harrased by a married white because his law/religion (or he doesn't folow the religion anymore whatever) allowed it. She didn't want to have sex with an white guy. The white guy starts touching her...

so will you conclude all white guys are pricks at best rapists at worst?

No, why would it be? It's clearly pejorative in that use. Yes, it can be an effective description to identify someone but using it as a label to pigeonhole them is clearly wrong.

If you are bullying based on someone's race then it is racist. A lot of what might be acceptable in the UK would not be in Canada (or at least Toronto). Those types of statements would likely get you ostracized here unless you clearly would doing it in good humour while teasing a close friend.

i haven't been watching and i only saw it on the news so i can only say from what i saw on the news and heard, i don't think she's being bullied because of her race but it's mostly to do with her and how she's acting. if they were being racist surely she would have complained?

Listen. I am generalising about the whole Indian (or Muslim) British community. This was not the only time this happened to a girl i know by an Indian or Muslim person. Say what you like, but to be honest you know fuc* all about my experiance with Indian or Muslim people so cant say i am generalising because a "few" isolated insidence.

Yes, Indians or Muslims tend to play on words and use the racist card as much as possible in the UK, especially if it benifits them.

Now you are combining Indians and Muslims together. While it is possible for someone to be both Indian and Muslim, it's fairly rare here (I've only known one example, myself). South Asian Muslims tend to come from Pakistan or Bangladesh. Those are entirely different countries with entirely different cultures.

Indians and/or Muslims don't place the racist card here because, for the most part, they don't need to. Generally Canada will attempt to accommodate them when it is reasonable. There recently was a showdown when a fairly large group of Muslim parents (back by their Imam) challenged the school board's equity policy when it came to showing a video to primary children. The video depicted same-sex parents as ordinary parents to kids aged 3-8. I didn't hear any claims of racism in that incident.

Religious freedom versus tolerance

Regan McClure

A forum was held last week by Market Lane Public School officials to address concerns from parents who felt that anti-homophobia programming, triggered by homophobic comments overheard by a teacher, violated their religious beliefs.

On Nov 16 approximately 150 people came out to the meeting, held in the gym at the St Lawrence Community Centre. A panel of officials from the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) discussed the board?s commitment to equity and human rights, which includes anti-homophobia education.

During the question and answer session, one parent expressed concern that his religious rights were being trampled because his son ?was shown a video of two men kissing.? The panel responded that the videos that had been shown to Market Lane students were age-appropriate and addressed the issue of bullying, teasing and respect for the family structures of kids with same-sex parents. None of the videos screened showed men kissing.

The panel also refused a request to be notified of anti-homophobia educaAlthough parents can remove children from sexual education classes because of their religious beliefs, there can be no exemption from human rights discussionsns, noted board officials.

?There is a misconception that anti-homophobia education is sex education,? said Michelle Flecker, an equity worker with TDSB. ?It does not involve explicit descriptions of sexual activity. It discusses diversity within our families.?

?Can you imagine the school sending out a warning to parents that we would be addressing racism in the classroom? What kind of message would that send?? asked Patricia Hayes, a human rights worker with the board. ?Can you imagine how kids with same-sex parents would feel if your kids walked out on a discussion about their families? It would create a toxic environment for LGBT children.?

Some parents cited a lack of communication about the board?s policy as a focus of concern. ?New parents had no input on these policies and don?t understand them,? said one concerned parent. ?Why was this information not sent to parents on the first day of school, and why is it not translated??

Another parent didn?t understand why the anti-homophobia training wasn?t included with the curricula parents are shown. Principal David Crichton replied by saying the material was integrated into a number of classes. ?This is not a distinct subject area,? he said. ?A discussion addressing these issues can occur within a number of topics in the classroom.?

The National Film Board?s Sticks And Stones, which had been screened for the students during the anti-homophobia workshop, was shown at the meeting. It interviews kids from same-sex families about their experiences of being teased at school.

http://archives.xtra.ca/Story.aspx?s=15241878

i haven't been watching and i only saw it on the news so i can only say from what i saw on the news and heard, i don't think she's being bullied because of her race but it's mostly to do with her and how she's acting. if they were being racist surely she would have complained?

She's under a lot of pressure to represent UK citizens of Indian descent:

"Shilpa feels that she represents the Indian/Asian community and doesn't want to let them or herself down by retaliating."

Fred, i meant Muslims not Indians in general. Sorry, im getting confused going between threads.

That type of gaffe tends to really infuriate minorities and fuels the racial divide.

That type of gaffe tends to really infuriate minorities and fuels the racial divide.

Well im fed up with having to watch what i say incase i upset/infuriate a Muslim ro some minority somewhere. Why cant they just let people be people.

Shilpa's 'Gandhigiri' in 'Big Brother'

Rachna Kanwar

Though Bollywood babe, Shilpa Shetty is at the receiving end of the insults heaped upon her by the housemates of the UK reality-show, 'Big Brother', she has interestingly garnered a huge amount of support from the public.

ot just the Indian community but the British viewers are also seriously offended by the disgusting behaviour of some of the housemates. The racial abuse that she is facing ranges from being called a ‘f****** P***’ by fellow housemate Jack Tweed, a ‘dog’ by the former Miss Great Britain Danielle Lloyd and ‘that Indian’ by Jackie Budden who happens to be reality star, Jade Goody’s mother. Everything about the lovely actress is being targeted at; whether it is her accent or her cooking. The actress in turn has maintained a dignified silence.

The girls who have ganged up against her criticized her ‘undercooked’ chicken suggesting that in India that is how all chicken in cooked. “That's why they are so thin over there (India) because they eat this dirty food and then throw up", said Danilelle who found instant stardom after she was stripped of her Miss Great Briton crown. In a statement on entering the house Shilpa had said “"I want to clear out the misconception of Indian people. We are modern, intelligent and glamorous. I have zero expectations. The only thing I really hope to keep is my self-respect and my dignity." True to her words, Shilpa has so far handled the classroom bullying from the obviously nasty and jealous gang of women with great maturity and pure class.

src: http://xtraedition.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1253497.cms

what do you guys think?

Well im fed up with having to watch what i say incase i upset/infuriate a Muslim ro some minority somewhere. Why cant they just let people be people.

Integration is a two way street. If someone can't be bothered knowing the difference between somebody Chinese and somebody Korean then it isn't exactly welcoming to them. It helps to create the problem that you now complain about.

Integration is a two way street. If someone can't be bothered knowing the difference between somebody Chinese and somebody Korean then it isn't exactly welcoming to them. It helps to create the problem that you now complain about.

You can only do so much to help integration, but when it seems that nothing you do is going to make the other party happy you will eventually give up.

Any one of those types of statements is more stupidity than racism but taken as a whole and looked upon as a pattern, it does appear that racism is at the heart of those comments. After all, that is what racism is, bullying someone based on their racial characteristics rather than their individual qualities. Most racism is borne of ignorance.

You can only do so much to help integration, but when it seems that nothing you do is going to make the other party happy you will eventually give up.

So you used to know the different between Indians and Pakistanis but now you have given up?

Its all well over hyped. She DID undercook the chicken. They didnt critisise her, they just said it needed to be cooked longer. Not everyone can cook, so whats the problem. The comment on them eating it like that in India was uncalled for though.

As for being called a f****** p*** thats rubbish that has been hyped up through almost chinese whispers. First of all the word was bleeped out. Second of all british news channels reported it being just p*** and not f****** p***. Thirdly, big brother producers have said that he didnt say either and he just told her to f*** off because she was pestering him constantly.

I think this whole situation has been blown completely out of control.

Any one of those types of statements is more stupidity than racism but taken as a whole and looked upon as a pattern, it does appear that racism is at the heart of those comments. After all, that is what racism is, bullying someone based on their racial characteristics rather than their individual qualities. Most racism is borne of ignorance.

So you used to know the different between Indians and Pakistanis but now you have given up?

:blink: I think we are talking about two different things.

Oh well, i guess im not very good at explaining things in writing, so im just going to leave it there.