schools in the US and how they've changed since that one April....

here's just a small list of changes I've noticed after talking with my brothers, and cousins...

• not allowed to play dodge ball, too "violent"
  • can't jokenly say "i'm gonna shoot ya"
  • can't play "cops and robbers"
  • can't play "cow boys and indians"
  • can't put your hand in any sort of position that might resemble a gun
  • can't do presentations on guns (even if its about hunting or the pros and cons of gun ownership)
  • can't draw pictures of guns in art class (a 3rd grade kid got expelled for doing this)
  • can't make gun noises, or explosion noises
  • police offericers in almost ever school, before it was pretty much un heard of
  • monthly lock down drills, in some schools they've become more common then fire drills
  • new schools being built with "lockdown alarms"
  • doors without locks having locks put on them
  • counslers... schools who don't have any are now hiring them

and of course there's plenty more...

Here is one thing that they should change:

Americans right to carry arms.

They can make as many stupid little changes as they like, but it will keep happening (heaven forbid) unless the constitution is changed.

Originally posted by aco

Here is one thing that they should change:

Americans right to carry arms.

They can make as many stupid little changes as they like, but it will keep happening (heaven forbid) unless the constitution is changed.

LOL! Yea, right... :right:

All the schools I know of have police officers in them. This is a practice that has been going on for several years now. Even if the school has a decent student body, "Resource Officers" are routinely attached to schools. Sometimes an officer will service several schools at a time, but will keep an office at on of the schools. They are there not only for school security, but also to serve as role models, mentors, and resources for children who might need assistance beyond what the school offers. I think it's a great idea.

As for lockdowns, yes, almost all schools have a lockdown plan in place. It's unfortunate, but needed. Those came into play a few years back when there was a rash of school shootings.

The other things you mentioned are sad, but true. Activities and comments that once wouldn't have raised an eyebrow are now subject to intense investigations.

While I'd like to see all guns abolished, I don't think that is our biggest problem. Society, for all of our advances and breakthroughs in sciences and technology, is on the decline. We so focus on the small bits and pieces of life, that we don't see the big picture.

Well, let me stop here. I don't want to get too far into this and I hate heights (stepping down from the soapbox). Hopefully I offended no one, but I did want to put my two cents in (or in this case, a quarter).

Originally posted by radixvir

well that must suck....i know how much kids in high school would love to play cops and robbers and cowboys and indians.

umm... where did I ever mention high school?

I remember going to school back in the early 70's when the boys had loaded deer rifles hanging in the windows of their unlocked pickups. But, then there was disipline too. The teachers & principal's busted ass with a big paddle when people got out of line.

they still should use the paddle and ruler. If they kid doesn't like it, then they shouldn't be bad.

oh ya, forgot, can't spank your kids cuz it's abuse. I bet soon giving your kid a hug and a kiss (if it is your actual kid) will be considered sexual harassment.

Originally posted by ^_^ Silly Willy

I bet soon giving your kid a hug and a kiss (if it is your actual kid) will be considered sexual harassment.

you mean sexual molestation... :ponder:

Cripes...

There's no problem drawing explosions and such in our Northern Irish schools ... even though I'll bet a lot more school children for the country size has been affected by a bomb/terrorist action than in the US. Although I did get in trouble in Primary 1 (1st grade I think) for bringing a toy gun to school :)

Hell, they didn't mind back in the 70's when the daily riots where scheduled for 4:00pm to make sure school kids could join the fun :s

So much for the land of freedom! It sounds like all schools are like in that crap Tom Berringer film "The Substitute"!