How 'well' does Vista run on your laptop?

After successfully upgrading and updating my PC's to Vista I turned my attention to oldish laptops

to see how Vista Ultimate performs...

Dell D800 Latititude required a video card upgrade to run aero along with a boosted 1gig of ram..

OVERALL RESULT: VERY GOOD

Dell Latitude C400 - Nope no way in hell even with 1gig of RAM OVERALL RESULT: NADA

Dell D620 Core Duo 2Ghz with 2 Gigs of RAM and Nvidia quattro card OVERALL RESULT: EXCELLENT

Dell SmartStep 250N 2GHz, 1 gig of RAM, 32mhz Graphics card OVERALL RESULT: SLOW BUT USABLE

Dell Latitude D400 1.6Ghz, 2 Gigs of RAM, crap intel embedded graphics card OVERALL RESULT: FRICKING SLOW AND CONSIDERING MOVING BACK TO XP! (Unless you guys have some tips on how to run vista properly on this lappy - no aero of course)

So that's my experience on Vista on laptops...

What's your's? How well does Vista run on your lappy?

What's good, what's bad? Which version of Vista did you install

How are happy are you with it?

P.S. Before someone starts reading me the riot act on pirating vista...

I have proper licences... Im an MSDN and Technet subscriber

HP nw8440. - 2gb RAM, 2.16ghz Core Duo, ATI FireGL 5200. Except for the ****ty performance from the graphics card because ATI hasn't released drivers for it yet, It's spectacular.

Dell Preision m65, 2.16 core duo, 2 gig of ram a a Quatro 256mb card, the Vista driver doesn't seem to work from the site but I still get an report of 3.9 so I'm ok I suppose..... The Aero interface is great and I Love the Windows Key + Tab....

I put RC1 on my laptop, 2Ghz Celeron and 384M ram with built in intel graphics and it was just too slow. Now I realize it's a crappy laptop and it's been running dog slow anyway so I wasn't expecting much. I have been having slowdowns and instant shutdowns in XP anyway. So the other day I took it apart and cleaned out all of the fans and airways and it's running great. I might give Vista another try on there. Not expecting it to perform like a speed-demon, but hopefully it'll be as good as XP at least.

Side note. I put Kubuntu 6.01 on there also and it was pretty slow too. XGL and compiz worked, but it was just to slow to use.

Dell Latitude D620

Intel Core Duo T2300E (1.66GHz)

512MB PC2-4300 RAM

Intel 945GMA Integrated Graphics

Everything runs just fine for me :yes: Even Aero works beautifully. This is my work notebook, which will get upgrade to a new D620 with a Core 2 Duo as soon as we start ordering those.

Dell e1505

Intel Core2Duo 2.0GHz

2GB DDR2 667 RAM

ATI x1300

Runs great...much better since moving from 1GB to 2GB of RAM.

Score is 3.0 just because of the video card. Everything else scores 4.5 or higher.

I have a Dell 700m (1.8 Pentium M, w/ 1GB RAM, Intel onboard video) that I'm considering upgrading to Vista. Upgrade advisor says Aero won't run on it.

Anyone have experience running Vista on this or a similarly spec'd laptop?

3400+ Athlon

512MB RAM

Geforce Go5700 64MB

It runs ok, surprisingly I can get Aero Glass although I could really do with another 1GB of RAM.

I run Windows Vista 6.0 i got free Microsoft on 3 computers.

Home built comp:

Asus P5GD2 Premium

Intel Pentium 4 3GHz

2GB Ram

Sapphire Radeon X1600XTX 256mb

all in all fantastic. full Aero

Acer Aspire 7100

Intel Celeron M 1.5

1GB Ram

Onboard Graphics although can't seem to get Aero

all in all its ok. No Aero

HP DC5700

Intel Pentium D

1GB Ram

Onboard Graphics memory shared with system

All in all fantastic. full Aero

Dell e1505

Intel Core2Duo 2.0GHz

2GB DDR2 667 RAM

ATI x1300

Runs great...much better since moving from 1GB to 2GB of RAM.

Score is 3.0 just because of the video card. Everything else scores 4.5 or higher.

I have a Dell 700m (1.8 Pentium M, w/ 1GB RAM, Intel onboard video) that I'm considering upgrading to Vista. Upgrade advisor says Aero won't run on it.

Anyone have experience running Vista on this or a similarly spec'd laptop?

Let me guess, GMA910/915?

That onboard card actually has the functionality to run aero, what's missing is Intels intention to make drivers. I, personally, think that its absurd that they are refusing to create drivers for a perfectly able graphics system.

Compaq Presario V5030ea

1.8GHz AMD 64 Turion

1.18GB DDR RAM

128MB ATI 200M

it runs amazingly fast... score was 3.3 i think, might have been more, but it was great - uninstalled now as i didnt like using vista on my laptop, didnt need it, plus i only have 1 key, so i used it for desktop :D

Edited by digitalsoft

The RC version ran fine on my Dell E1505, 1 gig ram, 60 gig HD, Core Duo T2300

I don't plan on upgrading to a permanent version of Vista til at least June.

Acer Aspire 3023WLMi

Mobile AMD Sempron 3000+

1.25GB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB

Runs very smoothly here, no problems at all. Aero is working perfectly and all applications open very quickly. I would say compared to the XP partition it runs a bit quicker too.

Toshiba Qosmio F15

Pentium M 1.8ghz Centrino

Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 Go Gfx

1gig of Memory

80gb HD

Runs Aero, runs the OS just fine, though due to incompatibilities with Toshiba utilities (and upgrading vs doing a clean install) I can't get Volume control or Battery info on the taskbar...upgraded from XP Media Center and Vista Media Center runs like a peach. Might format and reinstall with a clean install just to see if the battery and volume control come back. Only other issue i've noticed is extending the desktop to a 2nd display does not work, but it looks like that is probably an Nvidia Driver thing and not a vista thing

Good Stuff!

Which of Dell's new range of laptops is best suited for Vista?

Oh yes the Dell Latitude's D620 Core Duo's screens suck.... yuk... otherwise its a decent lappy