How 'well' does Vista run on your laptop?

zeroday

I tried the CPP Beta 2 on an Amilo A1667G. Everything worked out of the box except for wifi, which worked after doing a Windows Update via LAN cable. Aero and the other fancy effects worked fine :)

firemunki

inspiron 6400

1 gig ram

T2400 Core Duo

Radeon x1400

it works perfectly fine when connected to AC power...but when running off the battery it becomes extremely laggy

Lant

Alienware

AMD64 x2 3800+

1GB Ram

Nvidia 7800 Go GTX

tried RC1, RC2 and a few others

Vista seemed to run quite well and I definatly noticed better speeds in RC2 although I had some install issues. Although the only problem I realy had was that it didn't have a x64 driver for my wireless network card.

The Dark Knight

Toshiba Qosmio G30

Intel Core Duo T2500

2GB RAM

nVidia GeForce Go 7600 (256MB RAM)

Runs smooth as silk!

srcdecay

Absolutely beautifully. Just as fast as XP, save for boot/startup time from login screen.

Dell Inspiron 8600. 1.8ghz Pentium-M, 1gb memory, Radeon 9600.

A few program incompatibilities I just can't live with, so I'm gonna run it on my laptop until it's "good enough" to run on my main machine.

Just wish I could get rid of the horrible, bloaty media center bullcrap.

All these reviews and impressions I'm seeing about Vista all over, saying you need a brand new computer, an expensive hardware upgrade, or similar, are complete nonsense. If I can run it near-flawlessly on the aforementioned hardware, people who've gotten a PC in the past 2 years won't have much of an issue. Unless, of course, they skimped on memory. In which case they should be spanked. ;)

Edited by dbunder

S550

HP zv6000(xpress200m vid card, 1GB ram): perfect

MSI Megabook S262(intel vid card, 1GB ram): Perfect

Vista found all hardware (or downloaded it from WU) in both cases

webcivilian

Machine Specs:

Dell XPS M1710

• Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16
  • 2GB RAM
  • nVidia 7900GTX Go
  • 100GB HDD
  • Creative Audigy2 ZS Notebook

Current Resolution: 1980*1200 (set by Vista after install. I run XP on the same resolution)

Nvidia driver for Vista sucks right now for games and video accelaration. Same as for the Audigy. Besides that full aero and all the other good stuff.

_________

Net Civilian

wordup48
Just wish I could get rid of the horrible, bloaty media center bullcrap.

Well, don't get ultimate then. Sounds like business edition is fine for you. Business still contains many of the power features that neowinian-types will like, but without the media center stuff

dagamer34

I'm not really concerned with how Vista will run on my laptop as much as how much more battery life is going to be sucked up. Right now I can manage 6.5 hours at best with an XP setup, but with ATI skimping on PowerPlay right now and the fact that Aero depends so much on the GPU, I'm not so sure I'll even get 4 hours anymore.

That and Notebook Hardware Control bluescreen's Vista when I install it so until that's fixed, I'll stick with MCE 2005.

S550

your bitching @ 4hrs? i don't know of many laptops that even break 3.5hrs on a striped XP.

dagamer34
your bitching @ 4hrs? i don't know of many laptops that even break 3.5hrs on a striped XP.

I paid $70 more for my 12-cell HP battery because I need it to last ALL DAY. This is through under-volting, overclocking, as well as some thermal paste, so I'd rather not see that go to waste.

trek

Yea, I notice that Vista reduces the battery life of my notebook. But with my extended 9-cell Dell battery, XP pushes 7hrs while Vista is about 6hr20minutes.

primexx

HP dv5215ca

1.8ghz Turion 64 ML-34

1gb RAM

128mb ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

Runs quite nicely with a score of 2.4.

srcdecay
Well, don't get ultimate then. Sounds like business edition is fine for you. Business still contains many of the power features that neowinian-types will like, but without the media center stuff

Hmmm... business seems like a good idea. I just hope it doesn't cripple games and whatnot. The backup feature seems nice, not so much for the remote desktop. ;)

Roger H.

IBM Thinkpad T41

Pentium M 1.7Ghz

1.0GB DDR-333 Ram

40GB 5400 RPM HD

ATI Radeon 9000

SXGA+ TFT LCD (1400 x 1050)

Vista runs great, since i got this laptop (sweet deal off craigslist) i didn't even bother to install XP so i don't even know how it runs or what battery life i get. The battery on this thing, a 9-Cell one is basically only pushing 1/2 it's original capacity and i still get close to 3 hours. This is coming from a Dell Latitude C610 (ran like crap on Vista) with dual batteries to get 2+ hours so 3hrs is great!!!

Mr. Gibs

Check my sig for specs. Vista runs like a charm on thsi comp :)

randy_tho

Glass/aero doesn't run though correct?

Also the 9 cell is the larger one that sticks out correct? I think it was originally 6 hrs while the small six cell was 4.

IBM Thinkpad T41

Pentium M 1.7Ghz

1.0GB DDR-333 Ram

40GB 5400 RPM HD

ATI Radeon 9000

SXGA+ TFT LCD (1400 x 1050)

Vista runs great, since i got this laptop (sweet deal off craigslist) i didn't even bother to install XP so i don't even know how it runs or what battery life i get. The battery on this thing, a 9-Cell one is basically only pushing 1/2 it's original capacity and i still get close to 3 hours. This is coming from a Dell Latitude C610 (ran like crap on Vista) with dual batteries to get 2+ hours so 3hrs is great!!!

APH-Alex

What's Windows Key + Tab?

Mr. Gibs
What's Windows Key + Tab?

Flip-3D

h3xis

Lenovo ThinkPad T60 2007-57U

Intel Core Duo 1.83Ghz

Ati Radeon Mobility X1300 64MB

1024MB PC5300 RAM

Vista Business

Runs perfect. No compatibility issues or anything. Aero works fine and the window switching function is really cool.

Osiris

LG65 Express series

Intel Centrino 2.0ghz

Ati Radeon Mobility 128mb X700

1G Ram

Runs excellently, quite enjoy the operating system and its little niche features, however due to incompatible AC power drivers; when running on AC power it only runs at half its cpu. Battery life drained a bit quicker but still more then happy with it.

TokyoKiller

I ran Windows Vista Home Premium using the 30-day trial, it ran pretty well with about 3 1/2 or 4 hours of battery, it ran smooth after I installed the latest drivers.

My laptops specs are:

Dell Inspiron 6400

Intel Core Duo T2400 @ 1.83Ghz

1GB DDR2 Dual Channel

Seagate 120GB 5400RPM

ATi X1400 256MB

Intel 3945ABG

Brandon Live

Toshiba M4 tablet PC - Pentium M 1.73 Ghz, 1GB, Geforce 6200.

Runs very well with full Aero experience - love the hybrid sleep and hibernate from sleep functionality. Even runs DreamScene well.

Kaidiir

Toshiba Satellite P15

-> 1GB RAM

-> Pentium 4 2.8GHz HT

-> 32MB Nvidia go5100 videocard

-> Realtek onboard audio (Creative 24-bit HD audio PCMCIA)

-> 60GB HDD (about 4GB free in the Vista partition when tested)

Vista runs. Not great, not horrible, but it runs. I can force it to load a driver for an Nvidia go7800 and get Aero support, but it's not perfectly stable and will occasionally lock up and crash. Boot up at first took forever, but then seemed to speed right up after a few days and a few restarts. Vista itself looks great, but I'm sure my video card would yell and scream at me if it could. Drivers for everything worked great, wireless and all. The drivers for my Creative PCMCIA sound card are horrible though, causing either garbled audio or BSODs. I can only hope Creative has a better driver out come release day.

Overall I can see that Vista is an impressive piece of work, however I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'll upgrade (that is, upgrade a future computer because this 3+ year old laptop just doesn't have the oomph).

Mikee4fun

Mine is decent but could be better. I don't have duo core which is my weakest link. I have a presario v2000 with 2gb of ram, ati x200 with 128mb ram. It has a Turion 64 running at 1.8 ghz. I triple boot with xp pro, vista ultimate, and osx 10.4.8 and I have a rating of 2.0 blah. I have disabled every service that I don't need and it works ok. But compaired to my desktop its like running a pII :p

post-48589-1169193213_thumb.jpg