Png Support Temporarily Disabled

IE users have reported crashes and the only thing we can think of that will do that is the PNG transparancy hack we added to Neowins style sheets.

We only removed it from Neowin Blue a week or so ago and now people using grey, silver and Neowin blue small are also experiencing crashes so I have removed the PNG hack altogether.

Please comment here if the crashes continue or if this has solved the problem, if you don't experience crashes it looks like we have to look over the PNG code hack again.

In the last couple of days I have frequently changed themes to try and suss what was causing IE to hang for me (w2k, IE6sp1) but to no avail.

Today has been hang free. :D :D

Nice work you l337 admins.

Blame Quicktime for it. When installing, it hooks in as default PNG handler in IE. So when loading a PNG, it loads Quicktime to show it.

TomServo,

Do you know if there is a way to disable the Quicktime PNG support?

I was wondering why the Quicktime Task app keeps trying to register itself to run at startup every time I have visited a certain web page recently. (note: I have Startup Monitor runnning so I am prompted whenever an app tries to do this.)

I was wondering why the Quicktime Task app keeps trying to register itself to run at startup every time I have visited a certain web page recently. (note: I have Startup Monitor runnning so I am prompted whenever an app tries to do this.)

Just delete/rename/move qttask.exe in the Quicktime folder. No problems will be encountered!

And I really am not joking here. You can ask the admins to ban me if my solution screws up your system.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Only you poor soles on IE are stuck with gif format.

I'm seein' every PNG in it's full 32bit alpha blended greatness. :D

PNGs work fine on IE here, incl. alpha.