Rare deep water shark captured on film

frilled_shark_wideweb__470x259,0.jpg

A species of shark rarely seen alive because its natural habitat is 600 metres or more under the sea was captured on film by staff at a Japanese marine park this week.

The Awashima Marine Park in Shizuoka, south of Tokyo, was alerted by a fisherman at a nearby port on Sunday that he had spotted an odd-looking eel-like creature with a mouthful of needle-sharp teeth.

Marine park staff caught the 1.6-metre-long creature, which they identified as a female frilled shark, sometimes referred to as a "living fossil" because it is a primitive species that has changed little since prehistoric times.

The shark appeared to be in poor condition when park staff moved it to a seawater pool where they filmed it swimming and opening its jaws.

"We believe moving pictures of a live specimen are extremely rare," said an official at the park. "They live between 600 and 1000 metres under the water, which is deeper than humans can go."

"We think it may have come close to the surface because it was sick, or else it was weakened because it was in shallow waters," the official said.

The shark died a few hours after being caught.

Frilled sharks, which feed on other sharks and sea creatures, are sometimes caught in the nets of trawlers but are rarely seen alive.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/rare-shar...9594348990.html

TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) -- A species of shark rarely seen alive because its natural habitat is about 2,000 feet under the sea was captured on film by staff at a Japanese marine park this week.

The Awashima Marine Park in Shizuoka, south of Tokyo, was alerted by a fisherman at a nearby port on Sunday that he had spotted an odd-looking eel-like creature with a mouthful of needle-sharp teeth.

Marine park staff caught the 5 foot (1.6 meter) long creature, which they identified as a female frilled shark, sometimes referred to as a "living fossil" because it is a primitive species that has changed little since prehistoric times. (Watch divers swim with bizarre, ailing shark icon_video.gif)

The shark appeared to be in poor condition when park staff moved it to a seawater pool where they filmed it swimming and opening its jaws. (Photo gallery: More pictures of this odd creature of the deep)

"We believe moving pictures of a live specimen are extremely rare," said an official at the park. "They live between 1,968 and 3,280 feet (600 and 1,000 meters) under the water, which is deeper than humans can go."

"We think it may have come close to the surface because it was sick, or else it was weakened because it was in shallow waters," the official said.

The shark died a few hours after being caught.

Frilled sharks, which feed on other sharks and sea creatures, are sometimes caught in the nets of trawlers but are rarely seen alive.

post-155686-1169815899.jpg

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/0...reut/index.html

You know that all your links are broken since you have only "copy / pastle" the text? :sleep:

After saw the Gallery, this thing is freaking awesome :o

^^ im with you lol i hate the sea they scare the **** out of me lol knowing that its fulled with creatures like that lol! but thats pretty cool that were still finding new creatures in there! One more reason for me to stay out of the ocean :)

[Threads Merged]

[Thread Cleaned]

I hate these people that capture species and then kill it :blink: ######

I would have to have been sick and disoriented to swim this high up. They usually are only found 600-1000m deep where the pressure is too great for us to go. It wasn't designed to survive at surface pressures. The intensity of the light probably blinded it too.

I hate these people that capture species and then kill it :blink: ######

Yeah, it was a marine park, i don't think they meant to kill it.

As Fred said, the prevailing idea is that it was sick and came to the surface, or it was sick because it was at the surface.

Watch a documentary the "The Blue Planet" on our planets oceans and all the levels, Suposibly everytime they go down to the bottem they discover new species on every dive down since theve only really been down a handfull of times.

Interesting none the less :)

• 1 year later...
070124-sharks-weird.jpg

Flaring the gills that give the species its name, a frilled shark swims at Japan's Awashima Marine Park on Sunday, January 21, 2007. Sightings of living frilled sharks are rare, because the fish generally remain thousands of feet beneath the water's surface.

Spotted by a fisher on January 21, this 5.3-foot (160-centimeter) shark was transferred to the marine park, where it was placed in a seawater pool.

"We think it may have come to the surface because it was sick, or else it was weakened because it was in shallow waters," a park official told the Reuters news service. But the truth may never be known, since the "living fossil" died hours after it was caught.

source -- http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...arks-photo.html

Obviously prehistoric sharks had no sense of style :p.