Do You UAC?

Do You UAC?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. Do You UAC?

• Yes, iam really enjoy been annoyed
    • No, iam fed up
    • Duno what UAC is arsing about

I hardly ever get bothered by it... So yes I use it for security and like it :) The main problem is that most apps aren't Vista "ready", at most they've just added a patch that only fixes it partially.

BTW <sarcasim>nice UNBIASED poll </sarcasim>

It was very annoying in RC2, and as it seems the same in Rtm, it's quite likely that I will get fed up and turn it off.

It's only for n00bs anyway, to keep them safe of the consequences of stupid things like clickig on attachments in unrequested emails.

If you've got some common sense, you should do well without it.

btw: XP-Rtm, don't you think you should rename yourself to Vista-Rtm? :laugh:

Its so frustrating I had to disable it on the workstations my co-workers are using. Let alone me having to remove it :laugh: Wish there was a complete option of removal under add/remove programs.

It was very annoying in RC2, and as it seems the same in Rtm, it's quite likely that I will get fed up and turn it off.

It's only for n00bs anyway, to keep them safe of the consequences of stupid things like clickig on attachments in unrequested emails.

If you've got some common sense, you should do well without it.

btw: XP-Rtm, don't you think you should rename yourself to Vista-Rtm? :laugh:

Most of these replies are hilarious! Linux users know not to run as "root" all the time and elevate as necessary. Apparently Windows users do not.

I turn off Secure Desktop, but leave UAC on. In fact, I'm a big fan of UAC - I find it to be a great way to gain control of the privilege level that my applications run with, while being a lot less annoying than using an actual LUA account and having to enter a password all the time.

In my opinion, Secure Desktop is what gives UAC a bad reputation. I won't use it until they make it a less jarring / slow / frustrating experience.

Its so frustrating I had to disable it on the workstations my co-workers are using. Let alone me having to remove it :laugh: Wish there was a complete option of removal under add/remove programs.

Wow. You have no idea how much that angers me. If only those co-workers would blame you and not us for any security problems they may run into because of your recklessness.

I certainly leave it on. I like being able to prevent most applications from making system changes.

The problem with UAC is that most average people will just learn to click continue every time the message comes up. The people who could benefit the most from UAC are the ones that understand what the window means - the ones that are most likely to disable it.

Since I havne't tried vista i can't really pass any judgement, but I was wondering how similar is this to the "authentication required" window in OS X?

Since I havne't tried vista i can't really pass any judgement, but I was wondering how similar is this to the "authentication required" window in OS X?

Same idea, except in Vista if you are a member of the Administrators group, you don't need to enter a password. You simply have to click "Continue" or "Cancel" to allow the application to run with Admin privileges, which saves time.

^^^

Then i really don't see how it could be as annoying as people say...

I guess if software was badly designed then you couldn't install anything without admin rights but that is the developers fault, not Microsoft's.