Controlling family router bandwidth

I'm looking to purchase a new router for our home, as our current one is an old LINKSYS model (BEFSR41, to be exact). Because I reckon it's an old model, I'm guessing it doesn't have bandwidth control... so I'm looking for suggestions for a (wired) router that will allow me to control/limit bandwidth.

My sisters' activities (YouTube, other stuff) on their computers is severely hindering my own connection -- slow-loading Web pages, and in particular, I lag way too much in online games. I'm pretty sure that it's sharing the connection that's causing this, as when it's just my computer connected, then everything is back to performing smoothly.

You have alot more options with some custom firmware. If your model isn't supported, grab one that is (Y)
Exactly!!! Even if you do not use 3rd party right away - get yourself a router that supports it, so that next week when your looking to do something - you can!

I would suggest anything on the dd-wrt supported list as possible options for a new router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

BudMan is pleased, he has finally conveyed his message haha [GET CUSTOM FIRMWARE SUPPORTED ROUTERS]
If some common sense is starting to get thru - then YES! ;)

Thanks for the replies, guys! :D

I think I shall check out the Linksys WRT54G / GS / GL models, as our past routers have always been Linksys, so I should be confident in their reliability.

You should ONLY look at the GL model.. since the latest G and GS do NOT support 3rd party firmware.

You should ONLY look at the GL model.. since the latest G and GS do NOT support 3rd party firmware.

Thanks for clearing that part up. :)

I can't seem to find it on CompUSA, Circuit City, and Best Buy Web sites, so I might have to settle for buying it online. :p

So there's nothing else I can do in the meantime about my own connection being severely slowed down, eh?

I'm going to go ahead and purchase the Linksys WRT54GL soon then, but as I'm a complete newbie when it comes to routers... is there a nice, user-friendly guide out there that'll tell me exactly what I need to do to set up bandwidth control when I get this router or any kind of software I'll need?

Um the QOS interface is pretty straight forward -- not sure you would need a "guide" of any type to understand how to use it..

post-14624-1170425203_thumb.jpg

I do not have anything setup for dd-wrt QOS -- since only my sons/and my laptop connect to it, which is on my blue segment and controlled by another router "ipcop" But I have played with the dd-wrt qos in the past, and it is very easy to use and configure.