• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Best DivX/Xvid Player at a decent price

ambiance    67

I need some recommendations on a decent priced dvd player that plays Divx/Xvid without a problem. DVD/RW is not much of a concern, but compatibility is.

I have noticed the LG LDA-730 is pretty good for this. Is there anything else that is better or should I stick with this?

UPDATE: Does the LG play DivX/Xvid placed in directories or must I put all the videos together? If not, is there players that do?

Edited by ambiance

uniacidz    8

Pioneer i have come across as being fantastic.

I currently use a Samsung.

The LG, i have heard mixed reports about their brand, so really, best to google the reviews on it.

Glorious    3

I use a Pioneer upscaling DVD player with Xvid support. The Pioneer DV-393-K.

It's multi-region, handles HDMI for digital signal (much better than my other DVD players) and the Xvid is perfect through it. Doesn't show all the titles properly in the menu, but if you name them appropriatley you'll be able to get on with it fine. I think it handles folders as well.

Crazysah    7

So you people suggesting the Pioneer then?

ambiance    67

Thanks qwexor! Heard some really good things from Video Help about the Philips DVP5140/37. Highly rated on their list and great for the price too. I haven't bothered to keep up to date in DVD players, but when I saw that firmware update is an option on most, I dropped my jaw. Time to replace this Toshiba SD-1600 once and for all.

Bubbabyte    14
I need some recommendations on a decent priced dvd player that plays Divx/Xvid without a problem. DVD/RW is not much of a concern, but compatibility is.

I have noticed the LG LDA-730 is pretty good for this. Is there anything else that is better or should I stick with this?

UPDATE: Does the LG play DivX/Xvid placed in directories or must I put all the videos together? If not, is there players that do?

i have an LG-LDA-530 which is basically the same thing, new look... and i've put that thing through every test possible and it's never let me down... it will list directories, you can just put a bunch of junk on a disk and it will list it all seperately. For example i burned a disc with about 5 folders full of pictures... bmp,jpg,png... then some folders with movies in various formats.. avi,mpeg,vob.. and then you can throw some music folders in there too and when the disc loads it shows you tabs up top for videos/movies/music etc.. and it will list the files and folders just like any explorer would.. i've had it for about 2 years now, have never had 1 single problem. i would recommend lg above phillips because i only got my lg after taking my phillips back (the lg was a little more expensive)

since you live in canada.. check futureshop, i think the LG is about 79.99... i've also tried the Yahoo divx player that was at walmart canada, it wasn't that great. And there is also a cheap one that you can get at toys r us canada and canadian tire which i hadn't seen problems with for around 29.99-39.99.. pretty cheap. But like i said before, i would go with the lg. Alot of players will play divx files, but not all will be as easy to use and list directories and such properly like i found the LG to do.

ambiance    67

Bubbabyte, I have heard the Philips plays directories just fine. The only thing pushing me towards Philips is I can get firmware from them and can't find any on the lg website. This could help in the longevity of the player.

Right now it's a battle between the DVP5140/37 and LDA-730.

Ashiaveli    0

I have the LG and like bubba said, it plays anything. i make folders for movies when they are 2CD or when they have subs. it's not even that expensive. LG (Y)

Angel Blue01    8

I have a Samsung R-31 and it doesn't play Xvid though but it plays DivX just fine and HD upconverting.

ambiance    67

You have the LDA-730 Ashiaveli?

Bubbabyte: LDA-530 is the predecessor of the 730 correct? Unless LG like updating in a descending order.

Mathachew    149

I have the Phillips player that you listed. I have two complaints about it, one being a legitimate one, the other possibly being an isolated one:

1. It's slow. After about 5 or 6 seconds of it "turning on", I can finally open the tray and place my CD/DVD in. It has played everything just fine, be it DVDs or DivX videos. But darn it, it's so slow at starting up.

2. The remote control affects my TV. Pressing Play/Pause will enter channel 2 on my TV, if not aimed correctly.

I'd recommend a different player for at least reason #1. Sometimes I want to quickly put something on, and well, that doesn't happen.

Night Prowler    132

bangbang023    31

If you don't have an HD television, get the non upconverting model, the Philips DVP3040. You can get it for between $40 to $50 US.

TurboTuna    9

I've just got a non generic brad cost me ?10. Only thing it doesn't like is dual layer copied discs. Divx, avi, anything pretty much it plays.

CavityCr33p    0

I got a Phillips for my son a few weeks ago, its amazing.

+warwagon    13,203

I bought the phiips dvd player with divx and usb support.

If I could do it all over again I woudln't buy it

the UI is pukeable

a lot of the xvids I play, make you feel like something is off on the frame rate.

Did I mention the UI is pukeable?

_kane81    9

There is a good Pionner modding site

http://forum.pioneerdivx.net/

only problem I have with my player is a folder depth lockup bug issue when using an external hard drive. usb drives seem fine upto 2GB, havent tried anything larger.

Mathachew    149
Did I mention the UI is pukeable?

Yes you did:

the UI is pukeable

:p

The next DVD player purchase for me will be a PS3. That way I get DVD, BD, and DivX capabilities all in one package. Too bad that probably won't happen for another year or two, if not longer :(

wired57    4

XBOX with XBMC :)

TR1GG3R    0

yamada 6700 plays divx/xvids and all normal stuffs

ambiance    67

Seems someone has raised the dead.

I agree that the Philips interface was terrible and I gladly gave it away to my sister because I got a PS3. Interface aside, the fact that hitting eject wouldn't turn on the power and then having to wait for it to scan for 5-6 seconds before opening for the first time was very annoying.

Let's make things better my ass!

amking    0

hands down the best universal dvd player: link

(until the newer blu-ray players start coming out... and become reasonably priced too)