• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

why do we need vista, whats wrong with xp

majortom1981    241

I have also noticed vista handles my core 2 duo a lot better then xp did.Also when explorer crashes on vista (due to me trying to uses older programs on it that dont behave) it does not slow the system up at all. on xp you could use it but from that point on till you restarted it it would not work right.

rtk    0
My points are obviously being ignored by you and I don't think anything I say will change that.

Your points were disputed by many, most notably Brandon, and were easily proved inaccurate. You haven't said anything to change that,then all you've done is suggest your comments aren't being read.

Irrelevant to the argument and not a valid comparison, as is the rest of it. 25% was a figure directly from Microsoft, much of which was sensationalized and incorrect.
By that you mean spot on of course. You claim to factor in R&D, but I don't think you understand the process. Not every project yields a viable product.
No one is throwing accusations around, if you read the quote (which you have to do to understand the response) you'll know who said it.

In 5 thousand posts, has no one told you how to properly attribute your quotes? Either do everyone, or do no one. The way your post reads, it looks like Brandon was the author of MrCobra and my statements.

Edited by rtk

+vlsi0n    0

wow, this thread. /kill it

Nicholas-c    37

i agree, but what was wrong with MS-DOS ??

ANova    0
Your points were disputed by many, most notably Brandon, and were easily proved inaccurate. You haven't said anything to change that,then all you've done is suggest your comments aren't being read.

Brandon responded to some of my points and ignored many others. None were "proved" inaccurate in the least (most of all from yourself), in fact all counter arguments thus far have been nothing but he said she said opinions with no factual nonbias at all. You're only argument has no merit and I've explained why, there is nothing furthur to say on the matter. Your bias is rather obvious however.

By that you mean spot on of course. You claim to factor in R&D, but I don't think you understand the process. Not every project yields a viable product.

In 5 thousand posts, has no one told you how to properly attribute your quotes? Either do everyone, or do no one. The way your post reads, it looks like Brandon was the author of MrCobra and my statements.

I understand the process fully, it is you who do not understand all the implications and details. As far as "proper" quotation, you seem to be the only one who cares; probably because you have nothing futhur to add.

MrCobra    0

I <3 DOS.

Narlzac85    0

I <3 DOS DEBUG

Cosmin    23

Was free .. probably :D

Janni    0

Hey, 3.3 is stonking :-)

But then, this is a pretty useless topic. Why do we need XP when you can run Vista on your PC in all that shining colours, one might ask? Why do people use XP when they can perform their daily tasks with, say, Ubuntu as well?

There's nothing wrong with XP (apart from the usual complaints here and there). There's nothing wrong with Vista, Linux, Mac OS, even MS-DOS either. People run their OS of choice because they want to, maybe they need to, for various reasons.

Jan

nukenorman    44

Infact you dont need it at all. The marketing makes you THINK you need it. They design programs so you need it. But in reality if you had windows 2000 you would be just fine. The companies are making programs not run on these older OS so you have to upgrade. In 2000 you got by just fine with windows 2000. Why couldnt u just get by with it now? I think the market is making you need it when in reality no one needs it unless you like the eye candy.

Its marketing at work.

Everyone thinks vista is so great now when in reality 10 yrs later it will be a POS. Or at least they think it will ;-). If you know what I mean.

jporter    87

It's marketing but come on, people themselves want a change now and then, and I get excited to try new functionality after a few years of Win98/WinME(hours)/Win2000/Win2003/WinXP :)

And why not? Vista is made to simplify the use of the operating system, get more functionality in we requested and is more secure. It costs some money but I think it's well spend, but that's just my opinion ofcourse :)

Raa    1,551
I have also noticed vista handles my core 2 duo a lot better then xp did.Also when explorer crashes on vista (due to me trying to uses older programs on it that dont behave) it does not slow the system up at all. on xp you could use it but from that point on till you restarted it it would not work right.

Vista handles mine WORSE than XP - with the appropriate hotfixes installed, of course.

I'll be sitting Vista on the shelf for a few months.

>sigh< Wish 2000 was an option still.

Axel    95
Why do we need vista, whats wrong with xp. Personally I dont think there is anything wrong with xp ,ms could have improved xp instead of making a whole new operating system. Whats after vista and will ms copy apple. I am sure by now most people are happy and used to xp.

It's called making money. Why would Microsoft want to keep updating their old OS for free when they can seel a completely new one? Besides, things move on, it's progression. Why stick with a 600W Microwave when you can get a new 1000W that'll cook in half the time - if you're happy sticking with older technology that's fine, but a lotta people like to keep moving on.