All the hysteria about Vista is going up in smoke

ok, millions of people are using vista right now and you found 7 threads with a problem, that's pretty impressive actually. ofcourse you can't think that far

lol. agree :yes:

Here is how to approach Vista without being disappointed.

1. Use XP until Vista SP1.

2. Switch to Vista.

3. Smile :)

Do you buy your hardware after at least one firmware update?

You can expect Vista (RTM) to be at least better than XP, and small issues are resolved quickly. Try it for yourself, get your own opinion...

Dear Neowin staff,

Can we have a forum made specifically for those whining about Vista countless times each day. If my eyes aren't betraying me I do believe the title of this forum is Vista support.

Thanks, A10

Don't like Vista don't use it wait until Service Pack 1, use XP do what you want don't crowd up a support forum with more useless threads.

Yes and while they are at it make a forum for those whining about the whiners, because compounding to "useless" threads doesn't just keep them alive. It's a discussion group, and god forbid people actually discuss things. If you don't like the topic don't read it?

Anyway, I'm not too impressed with Vista either. In fact I am thinking of switching to a Mac. I have always thought Apple fan boys (well Windows and *Nix fan boy too) were a geeky fringe culture with nothing better to do than obsess over a piece of software/company; so I disregarded most of the sunshine they blew up the Apple wahzoo. However, after recently using a Mac for the first time in 7 years there was a genuine "wow" factor, which I don't get from Vista. From my impression OS X is the O/S that Windows (Vista) wants to be. The only thing holding me back from using it is the broad availability of alternative software and games that the Windows platform has going for it. However, now that Apple has Boot Camp people who are sick of using Windows can get the best of both worlds -- a great O/S, and a clone of a great O/S with all the great games that operate on it. AFAIK you only need Home Basic to play games.

If money is an issue disregard all that, a new O/S or computer shouldn't be a priority anyway unless it is needed for school or your job. You're just getting sucked into the hype of a new release. It will subside.

1) Compatibility issues: For 3rd party vendors not getting on the ball and supporting the new technologies in Vista.. when they had years to do so? Are you implying that every OS upgrade has to be fully backward compatible with everything that was ever released on the market?

Years? Haha. Given the amount of changes in the last 6 months anyone who had been keeping a reasonably sized application compatible with Vista for years would have gone insane by now.

Let's review OSX since 2001:

Jaguar (2002): $129

Panther (2003): $129

Tiger (2005): $129

Total: ~$360

*yawn*

Surely you didn't mean that as a point for Microsoft given that the combined prices are on par with the Ultimate edition of Vista. Most people don't need the Ultimate edition but you can't compare one of the many dumbed down versions of Vista with OS X.

Yes and while they are at it make a forum for those whining about the whiners, because compounding to "useless" threads doesn't just keep them alive. It's a discussion group, and god forbid people actually discuss things. If you don't like the topic don't read it?

Message boards were great until the internet was invaded by trolls. :(

I will never shell out $ 499 for an OS

Peter

You are right, neither would I. That's why I spent only $200USD for Ultimate OEM and $115USD for Home Premium OEM for my laptop. Both of them are full versions, not upgrades.

Surely you didn't mean that as a point for Microsoft given that the combined prices are on par with the Ultimate edition of Vista. Most people don't need the Ultimate edition but you can't compare one of the many dumbed down versions of Vista with OS X.

Let's see. First of all, I need an overpriced proprietary PC (is it still called Mac?) then I would need Quicktime Pro ($129) and iLife '06 ($79) to get the same functionality as in Vista Ultimate. We now up to $568, excluding the "Apple margin" for hardware.

*yawn*

Noone is creating any hype, except the fanboi and doomsday websites. The rollout of Vista has actually been the most organized and quietest when it comes to marketing/hyping by MS.

You base your information by 3rd party websites who grasp at any straw to see Vista becoming a failure. My personal experiences have been extremely pleasant and besides the fact of application incompatibities and missing drivers, I am very happy with Vista.

It?s not difficult to mark an OS as a failure when the entire operating system is based around DRM. The fact of the matter is I can do much more with Windows XP than anyone can with Vista (which is something I haven't said since the release of Windows ME), for one I can use SPDIF as my primary audio source with-out hassle.

Let's see. First of all, I need an overpriced proprietary PC (is it still called Mac?) then I would need Quicktime Pro ($129) and iLife '06 ($79) to get the same functionality as in Vista Ultimate. We now up to $568, excluding the "Apple margin" for hardware.

*yawn*

I'm not sure what you're on but QuickTime Pro is available for $29.99 USD from the Apple store and if you do the math:

$129 + $79 + $29.99 = $237.99

Not to mention:

-Macbooks are priced similarly to the equivalent Dell laptop and I'd gladly pay the difference for technical support that speaks English well.

-Tiger is more than a service pack for Panther with that CPRM feces and a bit of eye candy.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not too impressed with Vista either. In fact I am thinking of switching to a Mac. I have always thought Apple fan boys (well Windows and *Nix fan boy too) were a geeky fringe culture with nothing better to do than obsess over a piece of software/company; so I disregarded most of the sunshine they blew up the Apple wahzoo. However, after recently using a Mac for the first time in 7 years there was a genuine "wow" factor, which I don't get from Vista. From my impression OS X is the O/S that Windows (Vista) wants to be. The only thing holding me back from using it is the broad availability of alternative software and games that the Windows platform has going for it. However, now that Apple has Boot Camp people who are sick of using Windows can get the best of both worlds -- a great O/S, and a clone of a great O/S with all the great games that operate on it. AFAIK you only need Home Basic to play games.

If money is an issue disregard all that, a new O/S or computer shouldn't be a priority anyway unless it is needed for school or your job. You're just getting sucked into the hype of a new release. It will subside.

With a name like Googintosh nobody really cares what your opinion is. Their was no need to go and type that whole thing. You could have just said one word in your post, and everyone would have gotten your point. Go pretend you are using OSX, because everyone knows you arnt going to switch.

I was one of the many waiting to buy Microsoft's new hyperbole OS. But from what I have been reading about user experiences with Vista, I have resigned to be gratified with my XP. Add to the exhorbitant price for an OS that has numerous compatibility issues, validation, and inability to clean install without XP. This eye candy is nothing but a very cheap and poor imitation of Mac OS. Steve Jobs must be rolling in laughter with his mega success ' i ' products. Good for you Mr. Jobs. Atleast you have done something intelligent for your faithful customers. I will never shell out $ 499 for an OS that cannot fullfill its promise.

Peter

1. The "compatibility issues" may not apply to your hardware/software. Isn't hasn't really done to me. Sure, some drivers are still betas, but it's of common brands and will no doubt get polished over the coming few months, like they were when XP or 2000 was released. This is not specific to Vista, remember what happened with your XP when it was just released? It was a big mess for graphics card drivers. Look what happened.

2. Validation? Should be a very rare problem and most never have any, unless you want to pirate it. :p In comparison, Apple computers come with TPM chips... I wonder what's more invasive, really... In comparison, MS use that feature for BitLocker encryption and not to lock in their software to hardware.

3. And no clean installs on upgrades was shown to simply be incorrect, and that actually Vista upgrade editions work much better than XP's as they don't even check for prerequisite media, making them cheap full-fledged retail copies.

Eye candy is just one of Vista's hundreds of new (non-DRM related :p) features, but most people never having used the OS seem to talk most about that as that's the most visible change.

I'm not sure why you'd have to shell out $500 for Vista. First, how many features do you need, and which edition?

And also consider the OEM's as they've been shown to be able to be reactivated over phone if necessary, and many sell them without you even having to buy hardware.

Edited by Jugalator

its a brand new OS, what you expect. I'd imagine when leopard is released there will be quite a few threads about problems with it.

Also, not everyone needs ultimate, so quit using that as a price point.

actually, i doubt it, 5% market share. 5% of 7 is 0.35 posts, which of course will mean that leopard is working perfectly.

Ive been testing the windows builds since 3.1 and vista has to be the most disappointing and over priced one yet!

Where is all the good features that where in the longhorn beta? Vista is just a way for microsoft to scam up some money for their next "great" os lol.

P.S. I shouldnt have to pay extra because it took them 5 years to get something out!

People complained about Windows XP, when it was released saying it was Windows 2000 with extra bells and whistles.

People will inevitably complain when Windows Vista's successor becomes available in 20XX.

To be honest, I'm happy with my Vista Home Premium. It contains all the features I expect from an operating system, while making it safer and more reliable than Windows previous versions.

lol. when nvidia/creative get their "final" drivers out everyone will love Vista, we'll talk again in 6 months :D I BET YOUR ASS YOU HAVE NOT SWITCHED TO APPLE.

Apple stuff is nice, but TO overpriced :)

I agree with what you said. It isn't microsoft's fault because hardware man. don't have drivers, esp. Crapative I mean creative. I mean they knew in 2002 what microsoft was doing and desided not to have drivers ready prob to force everyone to buy the most expensive cards. Kind of weird that they aren't making drivers for live 5.1. Hell no knew drivers from them since 2003. Go to creative boards and other makers and tell them off not microsoft.

First off. Dont blame microsoft ebcause you want to buy an upgrade copy that is used to UPGRADE from windows xp.

The full versions of the os can be installed cleanly.

Second dont blame microsoft for the bad driver support from third party manufacturers.

I Installed vista business rtm on my laptop from scratch and it worked beutifully . The only thing that vista didnt recognize was my sd card reader.

I am not going to apple when they charge for the service packs and call them new releases.

lol. when nvidia/creative get their "final" drivers out everyone will love Vista, we'll talk again in 6 months :D I BET YOUR ASS YOU HAVE NOT SWITCHED TO APPLE.

Apple stuff is nice, but TO overpriced :)

Windows XP casts a pretty big shadow for Vista to overcome. I don't forsee Vista ever being the OS changing release like XP was. However, Microsoft needs to accept some personal responsibility for activation & upgrading issues. If they're attempt is to overcome, or even slow down piracy, good luck. I guess only time will tell.

The most unfortunate thing with Vista is that it's taken system security way beyond its means. Instead of an outside invader, Vista has made the decision that you, the user, are the most important threat to your system. That, to me, is pretty ballsy.

I hope I can be proved wrong.

Upgrading issues?

Let's see...I just upgraded a rather beastly Dell Dimension 2400 (onboard graphics, sound, *and* LAN, and a Celeron 2.4 based on the old Northwood core) from XP Professional to (don't laugh) Vista Ultimate. I had to uninstall three applications due to compatibility issues with Vista and have *already* replaced two with Vista-ready versions post-upgrade (number three is at hand, but I will install it another day later in the week, as it's not a high-priority app).

Driver issues? Just one (the Lexmark USB printer): however, a rather painless download of a Vista driver fixed that. AOL 9 SE was upgraded-in-place to AOL 9 VR (prompted by AOL itself; how slick is that?). So far, performance is largely better (especially network/Internet app performance). And this was a machine I actually was hoping to *avoid* upgrading to Vista at all; guess that'll teach *me*.

Just so you know $499 in Canada is only $423 in the US. Blame the UK for higher taxation or something. I got Vista Ultimate for only $250 USD. Yes, its a legit copy as well. I have zero issues. Install was easier and faster than xp for me. You can't judge an O/S because someone is installing it on a P2 with only 32mb's of Ram.

Even that's not necessarily fair, as I just finished an *upgrade install* of a Celeron 2.4 (!!!!) with 512 MB of RAM, onboard graphics, audio, and networking from XP Professional to Vista Ultimate. Except for the printer driver, the entire upgrade was actually pretty painless. Rather shocking, considering the PCIQ (PC In Question) was a Dell Dimension 2400 that I had actually hoped to avoid installing Vista on at all. Even the printer driver woes were temporary; a quick trip to the printer maker's Web site (Lexmark) yielded a Vista driver which installed painlessly.

So even a Dell bottom-feeder need not be a pain in the neck.

Without prejudice, please have a look at all the forum posts in this section;

Folder MP3 wiered problem

Vista wireless detection lags

Loop hole in upgrade packages

Vista 64 OS perils

Vista slow to copy files

Bad pool caller BSOD

Tuner not found

Upgrade home Vista a nightmare

You figure out ? For the information of everyone Vista is priced at Can. $ 499 plus taxes for the ultimate.

The MP3 folder problem is one I've never (ever) experienced. Not while beta-testing Vista, and not now.

Wireless netowrking issues are just about *always* a driver issue. (Not MS' fault.)

The upgrade loophole? That is, in fact, a rather *old* loophole (dates back to Windows 3.x, actually); the fact that it hasn't been fixed (despite massive coverage, especially by Paul Thurott, over the last several releases of Windows), means that there is obviously a reason for it.

The perils of x64: x64 as a *platform* is newer (by far) than XP (remember, XP Professional x64 was originally *given away* due to lack of capable hardware) therefore, it will take applications (and especially games) some serious time to catch up.

BAD_POOL_CALLER BSOD: Another driver-related issue (one that I had in XP, and *very early* in Vista's beta). However, one I haven't run into since RC1. This isn't MS' fault, either.

Tuner not found: Let me guess....AIW? Again, this is not a Microsoft issue, but an AMD/ATI issue. I have been hammering AMD over the head with this (and will continue hammering them) until they decide one way or the other; in the meantime, I will not recommend another AIW to anyone.

Upgrades: If you are running XP Home, you can upgrade to Vista Home Premium or higher; however, if you are running XP Professional or Media Center 200x, your only options are Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate. Surprisingly, this actually makes *sense*; remember, MCE is based on XP Professional (not XP Home), therefore, the upgrade options would be similar (if not identical).

$499CAN? That is largely due to VAT and the lower value of the Canadian dollar compared to the US counterpart. Again, you are talking the full version (as opposed to the upgrade) and retail, not OEM. If you need a full version, *don't buy the retail version*. That was my recommendation with XP; why would I change it with Vista? OEM Ultimate is (don't faint!) $199US. *Retail* Ultimate is $200US higher. Which would make more sense to buy?

For the last freaking time, the most expensive version of Vista is $399 not $499 for Christ Sake!

Some people here have had probs with their math classes during middle-school

:blink: