All the hysteria about Vista is going up in smoke

This eye candy is nothing but a very cheap and poor imitation of Mac OS. Steve Jobs must be rolling in laughter with his mega success ' i ' products. Good for you Mr. Jobs. Atleast you have done something intelligent for your faithful customers. I will never shell out $ 499 for an OS that cannot fullfill its promise.

ROFLMAO!!!

Lets see, Windows XP released in 2002 with Mac OS X 10.

Windows Vista released in 2006, Mac OS X 10.6

So 6 Mac versions have gone by, each priced at around 129usd. Now from all the amazing new features in Mac OS X leopard. How many are actually new or worth paying for? 2...core animation and time machine.

Brilliant, so now vista is overpriced at 200usd but with like 10-100x more changes than mac os x with like 2 new features at 129usd.

I love fanboys, always give me a good laugh.

What kind of reaction do you intent to expect in a Windows Vista forum?

MEDIA CENTER in OSX is called iTV and costs $299. Troll.

Good job on comparing a software and a hardware implementations of a media center. Troll.

Oh poo poo poo. Vista is too expensive....poo poo poo. Microsoft is evil...poo poo poo.

God give it a rest already.

Don't like Vista DON'T BUY IT.

Only Ultimate is over priced....all other versions are approximately the same price as XP.

Ultimate is wayyyyy overpriced and unjustified. It doesn't offer that much more than home premium or certainly not enough to justify the double price...Microsoft hit ridiculous alley with this one....

Ultimate is wayyyyy overpriced and unjustified. It doesn't offer that much more than home premium or certainly not enough to justify the double price...Microsoft hit ridiculous alley with this one....

Depends on your perspective I guess. If you want Remote Desktop and Media Center in the same OS, you're going to want Ultimate. If you want to be able to join a domain, same thing.

Good job on comparing a software and a hardware implementations of a media center. Troll.

One way or another, Microsoft has the lead when it comes to Media Center :shifty:

For the last freaking time, the most expensive version of Vista is $399 not $499 for Christ Sake!

Some people here have had probs with their math classes during middle-school

:blink:

Th OP is from Canada and it does cost $499CAD for Ultimate Retail in Canada, although $399USD only equals to ~$445CAD. Another reason why I snatched my OEM copies from a US e-tailer.

Vista is actually a very solid product! I've had very, very few issues. Maybe one, and that was an issue w/ Lexmark and their drivers. :)

I bought Ultimate upgrade from Best Buy for 259.99 (275$/tax) and I just backed up my XP, slapped it in, installed w/o the CD-key, then upgraded that install. www.winsupersite.com

Cool!

I'm very excited to use this!

All the comparisons with OSX are boring. OSX is based on a Unix kernel, Vista is not. It's not about all the "bling", but about what OS is the most stable and user-friendly. Some prefer OSX, some prefer Vista.

I prefer Vista and if it is just for the broad supports of hard and software. OSX support always lacks behind and if a Tivo Desktop for Mac appears a year and a half after the Windows version, than I call OSX hardly "bleeding edge". OSX also crashes, if drivers or applications are poorly implemented and it is just as stable or instable as any other OS. Macs cannot be upgraded - mainboard and CPU are more or less proprietary and if one of the components fails then you're off to Apple's grace to have them fix it. However, some like this all-in-one-box approach. I don't.

I was one of the many waiting to buy Microsoft's new hyperbole OS. But from what I have been reading about user experiences with Vista, I have resigned to be gratified with my XP. Add to the exhorbitant price for an OS that has numerous compatibility issues, validation, and inability to clean install without XP. This eye candy is nothing but a very cheap and poor imitation of Mac OS. Steve Jobs must be rolling in laughter with his mega success ' i ' products. Good for you Mr. Jobs. Atleast you have done something intelligent for your faithful customers. I will never shell out $ 499 for an OS that cannot fullfill its promise.

Peter

Hmmm - I wonder how many posts "Peter" as made in the Apple Forums here?

This sounds like someone who has bought-in to Apple's marketing FUD along with drinking the kool-aid.

Let's disect each of the points that "Peter" has laid before us:

1. Compatability: Yep, if you're still holding on to application versions that go back to the Win9x era you're going to have a little trouble getting them to work - but then again, there's that wonderful "Compatability" tab that lets you present the proper environment for older, legacy applications.

2. Validation: Microsoft has every right to protect itself and enforce software patents via legal means such as a EULA and on-line activation & validation. Evidently you were asleep when the news broke last week about software pirates being arrested for selling bogus copies of Windows XP to local computer stores?

3. I have Vista Ultimate and was never asked to run the install from within Windows XP, because I have the FULL version. The only people that your ill-informed leap of logic affects are those that bought the UPGRADE in hopes of saving a few dollars, only to find that they couldn't install Vista because (a) The didn't have the original XP CD, (b) They had an XP CD - but it was a pirated copy, ? They loaned it to someone and have never seen or heard from them again, or (d) they are complete idiots.

Peter - would it suprise you that most of the "features" in OS X that Apple and it's zealots claim were copied for Vista were actually shown in various stages of development of Windows Longhorn as far back as the Microsoft 2003 PDC (Professional Developers Conference) - and these were features in Longhorn way before Apple included them in OS X? Google "Microsoft Windows Longhorn PDC 2003" and you'll find it. Along with that, "Dashboard" was a complete & utter rip-off of Konfabulator and Stardock's products (Stardock's gadgets, widgets & UI skining apps were first created for OS/2 Warp).

Here's a kicker: Microsoft Windows Mobile has been running on SmartPhones since 2002 (5 years before Apple's new iPhone!), with nearly all of the features and none of the DRM-hell that iTunes is - they run Windows Mobile, which allows you to install 3rd-party applications (unlike iPhone) and listen to DRM-Free MP3s...along with being a fairly-good cellphone.

IMHO, Apple's R & D over the last 4 or 5 years has been "Let's get someone to sneak in to Executive Briefings at Microsoft and[bR[/b]>>each & rag their ideas over to our OS!?"

In Conclusion: Will Microsoft charge it's customers for Vista SP1 or SP2? Did Microsoft ever charge their customers for XP SP1 or SP2? You can bet the bank on Apple charing ~$129.95 for their next upgrade to OS X, just like they've done before - Let's do the math:

XP Released 10/01/01 Price: $94.99 Mac OS X 10.1 Release 09/29/01 Price: $129.00

XP SP1 Released 09/09/02 Price: 0.0 Mac OS X 10.2 Release 08/24/02 Price: $129.00

XP SP2 Released 08/06/02 Price: 0.0 Mac OS X 10.3 Release 10/24/03 Price: $129.00

Mac OS X 10.4 Release 04/29/05 Price: $129.00

Vista Released 01/30/07

Vista Ultimate Price: Upgrade $259.00 Mac OS X 10.5 Release TBA (2Q07) Price: $129.00

Full $399.00

Full Cost: 353.99 (Upgrade Path, Full Cost: $645.00 (Upgrade Path)

not Full Version)

Cost Ratio - 1:1.8

So, what you end-up with is an OS for snobs and those that like pretty curves and lines and paying nearly 2x the cost over the same timeline than you would if you went with a very capable OS - that, being Windows.

--ScottKin

MEDIA CENTER in OSX is called iTV and costs $299. Troll.

Umm no, it's called Front Row though it's a far cry from Media Center.

The Microsoft equivalent of AppleTV is called Xbox 360, and it also costs $299.

Umm no, it's called Front Row though it's a far cry from Media Center.

The Microsoft equivalent of AppleTV is called Xbox 360, and it also costs $299.

and also comes with a free gaming console built in lol.

I have a feeling most of you Vista lovers who are jumping down the throat of the Vista haters have never used a Mac.

If it weren't for gaming, I wouldn't be using Windows. I'm waiting on DX10 before I make the jump. Too bad OS X doesn't get the gaming love. Oh well.

I have a feeling most of you Vista lovers who are jumping down the throat of the Vista haters have never used a Mac.

If it weren't for gaming, I wouldn't be using Windows. I'm waiting on DX10 before I make the jump. Too bad OS X doesn't get the gaming love. Oh well.

I have used a mac actually. More specifically, my friends mac mini. Personally, its not for me. But I can see why people like it. Its easy to use. Personally, I think the UI in OSX is :x, and I can't see why people are making such a fuss about it. It looks better than XP, yes (but tbh, what doesn't look better than XP), but better than vista? No.

And here's an interesting fact for you. Since installing windows on his mac mini via bootcamp, he does not use OSX at all, and he doesn't play PC games. Now I know he isn't an average user, but the fact remains that he bought a mac (which most people do either because their blind mac fanboys, or like OSX), and he does not use OSX.

I think one reason why people get annoyed with people who love OSX, is cos a lot of them, are saying a load of BS. They (and apple) go on about MS copying stuff from OSX, yet fail to see that a lot of OSX's features (Time machine, the dashboard, instant search), or copied from either windows, or somewhere else.

I have no problem with companies copying each other (it happens in every industry anwyay), but does annoy me, is when mac fanboys go around preaching that MS copied everything in vista from OSX, and that apple would never do something like that.