[Car] Subwoofer Question

What should I get out of the following. Keep in mind I have a 95 mustang v6 covertable. So I dont have much trunk space.

1 JL W6 10"

or

2 JL W3's

or

2 Mephis 10's

The amp I will be using is 500 RMS x1 at 4 ohms or 900 watts RMS x1 at 2 OHMS. It is a class D amp.

Also I'll be using a Pioneer Premier head unit. Sub control, hpf, crossovers ya da ya da.

I'm thinking about the W6 my self, it will run about 390 though :(. Oh yea I listen to a wide selection of music including metal (I'm talking about Opeth, Katatonia, Black Dahlia murder, Devil driver kind of stuff), classical, rap, hip hop, etc. This is one reason I'm going with the 10's also for quick response time for the double bass drums.

Edited by DustinTurbo

if you get 1 JL 10" woofer make sure you use a bandpass box

I personally dont like JL audio but nothing wrong with them really

I always use Kicker or Fosgate

I thought W3's were 12" woofers?

I think you should get dual W6's. My friend has them in his Camaro RS and he has it hooked up to a 1000 WATT amp and it sounds pretty good for what its worth.

I've got 2 JL w3 d2v2 10 inchers... they are good for what i need... they've been able to reproduce anything thrown at them unless its below 20Hz... when put on a good amp you can hear them for a block or two away.

a w6 is going to require a HUGE box for the best bass... my friend has one in his explorer he had to take out the backseat.

Are you looking for "show off" bass, or bass you can actually tolerate and enjoy when listening to music???

My w3's are almost a bit too much on the lowest level... they tend to overpower the other speakers and all you can hear is bass drowining out the reset of the sound spectrum... of course I bought subs so I could hear the entire range of music... having them do the lows... my 6x9's do the mids and hi's, and my tweeters and 3 inchers do the hi's. I'm not really into showing off... but I can turn my gain up and turn a couple heads.

just switched away from JL, my two 12" W0's were just not cutting it for what i wanted from a subwoofer. especially for clarity... i opted for two 12" infinity kappas instead and am pretty happy with my purchase... i would have liked to go to 10 inch but at the moment just wanted new subs that i could install into my box instantly.

W0's you got to be joking. Those things compare to something sold at Walmart.

exactly why they blew, they were both free from my brother along with a box and an amp so i wasn't complaining.

exactly why they blew, they were both free from my brother along with a box and an amp so i wasn't complaining.

but dont let it put you off JL, they make some excellent subs. you just had a naff one.