Game Performance

Anyone know how to enable this option, as apparenlty once you get in there it fixes a lot of FPS problems!!

Have you tried to get in there with UAC disabled?

I think what we are both saying is that Nvidia and ATI are both of an issue, and it's not relevant to just the OS, but how the OS is letting things be.

XPGoD

Anyone know how to enable this option, as apparenlty once you get in there it fixes a lot of FPS problems!!

Just FYI JMann, I too have the same box unchecked... I'm getting some info on this now... I will report back.

I'm also having very poor gaming performance with Vista. FIFA07 and NBA Live07 lag until its unplayable.

My sys specs:

AMD A64 3200+

1.5GB RAM

GeForce 6800GT

I've tried using 100.54 and 100.59, both won't fix the lag.

Edited by KzR

I have the same issues as you.

I used to have WoW on high video settings when I used XP, but now when I'm in Vista (with nvidia 100.59 drivers) I had to set everything on lowest to make the game playable. I've disabled many of the visual effects and services in Vista, even defraged it, but with no avail :/

this really has little to do with video

what sound card you have? vista dropped support for hardware acceleration for directsound. all games that use directsound to enable sound, now run thru software emulation.

X-Fi is the only card currently available that works with new Creative Alchemy openAL wrapper. If you have X-Fi and use Alchemy program, you will get decent to huge FPS increases.

I must admit, I installed my Creative Sound Drivers and thought nothing more. So you think it could be this?

My soundcard I believe is a Creative Audigy (not sure of the model) but on the back of the Sub-Woofer it says Inspire 5.1; so anymore information on this would be greatly appreciated. (Y)

Also at times, I do get sound-lag when starting the introduction sounds are gappy if you know what I mean, and sound skips when doing some things like opening applications, launching games and so on. Also if you could find the right driver for my card, or find out a program which can tell me my exact sound card model/make it would also be of great help.

JMann

Cool ok, but I am forced to believe it isn't a Sound issue somewhat. (It might be part to blame yes, but not fully.) Look at my most recent finding in WoW as I posted a minute ago there:

Some news for you all, and aren't I confused.

To me now, it makes me think it isn't really Driver related at all, it is Blizzard related full-time. What I did was try "SET gxApi "opengl"" and this didn't work for me put my FPS at about 0.2FPS constantly, hopeless.

I then got the BSOD and so then after removing those drivers went back and reinstalled nVidia's BETA 100.59 drivers and then decided to launch World of Warcraft, login screen no problem, character retrieval screen no problem. But today I decided to choose my Alt, a Mage based in Orgrimmar.

Hold on, 60+ FPS while moving? Funny so I cast some buffs, do a few spells in the City and its working fine never had under 30FPS everything was good. Logged out of my mage and went on my other low-alt based in the Barrens (Warrior) He wasnt too bad with FPS it was averaging around 30fps and stayed around that mark when killing mobs too only changing-point-of-view did I get little lag spikes. Logout

I now decide to try my Druid, level 63 in Zangamarsh oh nice and laggy FPS of about 10 and under; so I decide from a friends suggestion to portal to Moonglade, once there hold on around 30-40FPS moving?!? Then I decide to H/Stone it back to Outland (Zangamarsh) and got low FPS again but around the 20'ies this time then I fly to the dark portal laggy flight all the way there and then once there I go through the portal and see if the FPS increases and it didnt it stayed around 20 or lower?

Now I am confused...but it might help some people. =) (I now don't think its Graphics related, I think im barking up the wrong tree.) It's something else...

Vista is kinda of odd in the respect that with my ATi X700 Pro AGP 256Mb card... the following for me holds true.

If I go into the Catalyst Control Center and put everything on High Quality... not all the way up (e.g. A.I. stuff.. or super high AA), and leave v-sync off... playing games like F.E.A.R.(1280x1024 all min) roll smoother than ever.

You know, I tried that with my X1600XT and a few games, strangely same thing happed. Higher settings give better performance. Go figure. :blink:

I have an XFX 6800 extreme 256 pciE. I'm getting the exact same problems as Jmann. And my logo looks identical to the one he posted from the Nvidia control panel. I have a gig of ram and Intel Pentium D at just over 3 ghz. I was using Vista Business and downloaded all updates, defragmented, etc. I play Star Wars galaxies, NBA live 07 and madden 07. I play all 3 of these games with settings maxed at 1600 x 1200 res. This was when I had XP. Now with Vista My games lag like crap to where they are unplayable. I have even attempted to disable the sidebar, ran with compatibility of sp2 as admin, and disabled system performance to where it looks like its windows 98..lol. I was using Vista drivers that were something like 97 or similar and everything was jagged, so I found the 100.59 drivers and it helped with the jaggedness but still the horrible lag....no real difference. This is insane and has caused me to revert back to xp for now so I can play my games. I'm pretty confident its very poor Nvidia drivers since I viewed my ram usage with nba live 07 and it only showed it at 550 or so. I even put nba live 07 on the lowest settings possible and it still lagged like I had onboard 32 meg video or something..lol....I'm going to wait until there is more stable nvidia drivers and some better driver compatibility all around before putting Vista back on this machine. Did I mention the drivers for my Logitech Rumblepad 2 are incompatible with Vista as well?

The latest drivers aren't always the best. The latest windows vista driver for my card doesn't even work on CS:S for me.

Ya..well...there is only a couple of options for Vista nvidia drivers so far and they are complete garbage.

if you have audigy, like you said, then the only thing you can do is either way and hope for new driver and new version of alchemy to support your card, or go get your self x-fi and use alchemy

This is real ******.

If Creative doesn't make proper drivers for older cards, I for sure will NEVER buy any of their products.

Forcing people to buy latest HW in that way is just *******.

I mean - what is wrong with Audigy4, Audig2, or even Live! series? They can still do quite decent jobs. Why would I *have* to buy latest HW? Just because they are lazy to make proper drivers?

Doh..

PS: Well, this might explain partly why I have such poor performance in World of Warcraft (half the framerate of WinXP).

It doesnt really relate much to sound. I tried disabling my sound card and playing battlefield 2 on same settings as XP had NO trouble with. Vista lagged still.

Ive tried just about everything.

To me it comes down to nVidia's drivers for AGP gfx cards.

Well we do have alot to say about this.

For the last time, it is NOT sound related. This is more than likely due to the fact that Microsoft changed the Memory Management scheme. Both on System and Video related matters. It has already been discussed here, and on many forums that the Nvidia drivers are using a CAP on the memory resources. And according to Microsoft, this is a no no, but it can still be done for development purposes within a DirectX environment.

Uninstalling and removing your soundcard, and even disabling sound altogether have proven that sound is not a factor. What I've done so far is emailed ATI, and the DirectX team to ask why this is a problem. I understand the realm of this being new, but isn't this portion of the operating system important enough to have learned?