Game Performance

I'm watching this and carefully watching for updated Nvidia drivers. I can get by without my logitech but stable drivers for my gaming is something I can not. I'll post anything if I come up with the nvidia vista drivers.

Blerh, I've decided to switch back to WinXP until a proper nVidia graphics driver is released.

Join the club...If I can not game with Vista then there is no point in having it installed right now at my home.

WoW is slower here to but not THAT much to be honest :) Make sure you don't run in Windowed mode as Aero will take performance away.

WoW is slower here to but not THAT much to be honest :) Make sure you don't run in Windowed mode as Aero will take performance away.

Its terrible for me, everything on the lowest settings and just ran into Shattrah City I think its called, with no more than 3FPS. Impossible to play, how much RAM do you have jporter out of curiousity?

Thanks.

Its terrible for me, everything on the lowest settings and just ran into Shattrah City I think its called, with no more than 3FPS. Impossible to play, how much RAM do you have jporter out of curiousity?

Thanks.

2Gig's :) Shattrah city is pretty intense though... I have to say I have only tried Shattrah city on my XP system... That was like between 30 - 80 frames... Can try it tonight with 2Gig in Vista if you'd like.

Running on a 7950GT

After reading some tips on guru3d forums, I've uninstalled the 100.59 drivers and installed 78.01 drivers on my 6800.

WoW works great (got from ~30fps to ~70fps)! I can even overclock it again now :)

(note: Aero won't work with these drivers)

I just finished setting up Vista on my machine and took no less then a 40fps loss in Counter-Strike:Source.

Disabling Antialiasing seems to have resolved this issue for me. Through I was playing with it on just fine in XP.

After reading some tips on guru3d forums, I've uninstalled the 100.59 drivers and installed 78.01 drivers on my 6800.

WoW works great (got from ~30fps to ~70fps)! I can even overclock it again now :)

(note: Aero won't work with these drivers)

But I want Aero. ;)

Ya, I agree...we want Aero, although it is a temporary fix for anyone that doesn't want or can do a temp rollback to XP. Although, I did try this already with some older drivers and I was getting a BSOD booting in to Vista so I don't think this is going to work with everyone. I would still rather wait for stable Vista drivers. I guess its personal preference.

So far, this is what I've learned... try to follow along as I'm going to babble a bit... but it should make some sense to some of you heavy techs.

In my video card properties I show 415MB Total Available Video Memory... now looking at this doesn't make any sense. What divisable of 32 equals 415?

Well, I heard alot of people claiming .... "Damn I feel like I'm on a 32Mb vid card". Well, lets do the math on my numbers as they show in Advanced Display Settings

Total Available Graphics Memory - 415MB

Dedicated Video Memory - 256MB

System Video Memory - 0MB

Shared System Memory - 159MB

Now you all can make that Shared System Memory move simply by altering your AGP Aperture Size in the BIOS. Mine is currently at 128MB

128+256= 384.... hmm not 415 but if you add 31 to the 128... then yes 128+31=159... well according to the whitepaper of WDDM, it states that 1mb is used for a management thing... so it is 32-1.... is this where the problem lies?? Microsoft states the following:

Shared System Memory: This usually makes up the bulk of system memory available to the GPU and is ?allocated? on demand when needed. Shared system memory is really just regular application VAD which are probe and locked and made visible to the GPU. VidMm will only allow up to N bytes to be pinned down simultaneously where N is: ((Total System Memory ? 512)/2 ? Dedicated System Memory)

So really, that 31MB is the Video Subsystem... but it appears that the current drivers out are handicapped. In Windows Vista all video memory is managed by the operating system, dedicated or shared. Windows Vista has added the concept of Shared System Memory for the video subsystem. It handles swapping to the higher-speed dedicated memory as needed to optimize performance.

Just in case you all would like to read some massively technical documents... check here --> TECHNICAL STUFF

So if they are indeed capped, could it be that the drivers are capping or misunderstanding offloads from Dedicated to Shared???

XPGoD

Right, my thoughts exactly... but when I and Microsoft say capped... we are stating that it should allow for more play in the amount based on Physical system memory... as my previous post stated... DXGK instructions allow for a cap.... and ATI and Nvidia are doing it.

I'm just saying that the handling of this memory is being corrupted by the drivers, not really the OS... the Drivers are capped thus keeping the OS from performing normal functions.

XPGoD

Excellent work XPGod, still no updates from what I can see at either companies (Graphics and Microsoft). But thanks for everyone's contributions so far people really good work. :)

To everyone, I have just found this on the nVidia website: https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=749...8f09e040b4a437a

Might help somepeople, hopefully me as well. ;)

Edited by JMann

Just FYI... for all you ATi users... and Vista. Don't install those 7.2 beta drivers... There is no speed changes I've seen from them, and it crashes some stupid mfpmp.exe application when watching YouTube vids and just general videos around the web in the embedded WMplayer.

See attachment...

EDIT: the other "RED X's" are FearMP.exe crashing and a couple MPlayer.exe stopped working....

post-14593-1171129824_thumb.jpg

Running vista ultimate x64 with a 7800gtx and 100.59 drivers.

Only tested two games so far, vanguard and cs:s.

Vanguard: i have an avg fps around 15 compared to xp where it was mostly around 30(i'm running at highest settings in 1600x1200)

CS Sourse: is running okay, don't remember my fps from when i used XP, but i got 69.9 on the benchmark test. Also i noticed if i disabled aa/af i got a major fps boost.

I installed windows Vista business 64-bit and noticed quite a performance drop on WoW, so I did a benchmark test for WoW flying from Telredor to shattrath city.

System statistics:

Windows Vista Business Edition 64-bit and Windows XP Professional SP2

Asus Geforce EN6600GT (97.46 Forceware drivers from nvidia.com)

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

AMD 64 3200+

2x512MB of DDR RAM; Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPT

2x512MB of DDR RAM; Corsair Valueselect

Running a dualmonitor setup

WoW running at 1280x1024 at 60Hz, most display options at low.

Measured with Fraps 2.8.1

Table of the result I got from the benchmark

post-204405-1171380083.jpg

Although you might see aswell that the 2GB results are rather disappointing, the possible problem might be that the first 1GB of RAM in the system is ultra-low latency and the other 1GB of ram might slow it all down because they are 2 simple Valueram sticks of 512 MB.

The FPS-Time graph is measured like this:

post-204405-1171380937_thumb.jpg

That is heart wrenching to view memesa..... Sadly Microsoft has claimed to me over the phone that it will take 3-way patching to resolve this.

A game patch

A Video card driver patch

A possible Windows Patch.

XPGoD