Xbox Bluescreens

So anyone been lucky enough to have encountered the first Xbox Blue Screen Of Death??? I'm sorry but I just don't see what the advantages are of buying an Xbox over say an AMD Athlon or anything above a pentium III with a good gfx. card, waste of money in my humble opinion.

I believe the AMD Athlon XP 1.5Ghz, Socket A ATX motherboard, cooling fan and case will make the christmas list this year, sorry M$ you don't have me leured in.

I'm sorry, but at $299, the XBox is pretty good value. A good PC graphics card alone can run over $200, add in a mobo, 733mhz processor, 8gb HD, DVD drive, decent sound card, 100base Ethernet etc, and you're way over the price of an XBox. If you just want to play high quality games, play DVDs and not much else, for $299 you can't do much better than the XBox, or the PS2 for that matter. Hopefully Sony will drop the PS2 price to $199 for the holidays, and then they will dominate the market....and I'll finally buy one....if not, MS is getting my money once again.

Originally posted by Bain

So anyone been lucky enough to have encountered the first Xbox Blue Screen Of Death??? I'm sorry but I just don't see what the advantages are of buying an Xbox over say an AMD Athlon or anything above a pentium III with a good gfx. card, waste of money in my humble opinion.

I believe the AMD Athlon XP 1.5Ghz, Socket A ATX motherboard, cooling fan and case will make the christmas list this year, sorry M$ you don't have me leured in.

ever tried emulating N64 games on ur PC?

then u'd understand why people like to have have dedicated machines for games.

Every 2 minutes(estimated), the game would freeze. i though it was my bad luck, but then I walked by and tried to watch some kids take a crack at it. They were never able to play more than 3 plays(NFL Fever), it would just freeze. I don't know if the display case had anything to do with it(enclosed for security), but the PS2 was in an identical display case, with a line of kids waiting to play.

nerv66i:

FINALLY someone knows what the hell they're talking about, thank you

Instead of "Oh, Microsoft made it so it will crash" or "It's just a computer for your TV, except slower" Think about this. When Game designers create games for consoles, they know what hardware will be used and they can take full advanatge of the hardware becuase all the systems have the same stuf in them. For computer games have to be designed to work with all systems and therefore they dont take full advantage of your machine. Thats why games will never be the same on computer as they will be on console. I am a big fan of PC gaming, but I'm saying that no game always runs perfectly on a PC, unless you have the absolute newest hardware out there. With the new consoles you have games running at 30-60 CONSTANT fps, and you dont have to worry about crashing or bluescreens etc. (no matter who makes the machine, even if its Microsoft) I dont know if you are aware of this but the "os" on Xbox is a win2k kernel that weighs in at around 500k. There are no blue screens. Many people jump to conclusions before knowing about the facts.

my 2 cents

Originally posted by brendl

nerv66i:

FINALLY someone knows what the hell they're talking about, thank you

Instead of "Oh, Microsoft made it so it will crash" or "It's just a computer for your TV, except slower" Think about this. When Game designers create games for consoles, they know what hardware will be used and they can take full advanatge of the hardware becuase all the systems have the same stuf in them. For computer games have to be designed to work with all systems and therefore they dont take full advantage of your machine. Thats why games will never be the same on computer as they will be on console. I am a big fan of PC gaming, but I'm saying that no game always runs perfectly on a PC, unless you have the absolute newest hardware out there. With the new consoles you have games running at 30-60 CONSTANT fps, and you dont have to worry about crashing or bluescreens etc. (no matter who makes the machine, even if its Microsoft) I dont know if you are aware of this but the "os" on Xbox is a win2k kernel that weighs in at around 500k. There are no blue screens. Many people jump to conclusions before knowing about the facts.

my 2 cents

actually... I've played several games that pushed console hardware to their limits... I can show you plenty of areas in diferent games where i can get it to slow down ALOT... some games of these being, Banjo Tooie for n64, donkey kong 64 for n64, crusin world for n64... And don't go saying it's just N64... The only reason I've listed only these games is because that's the only newest console I own :p

I beg to differ....

Nintendo Entertainment System: 1985 - 1992 = 7 years

Nintendo Game Boy: 1988 - 2001 = 12 years

Super Nintendo Entertianment System: 1992 - 1997 = 5 years

Nintendo Virtual Boy: 1995 - 1996 = Less than 1 year

Nintendo Ultra 64: 1996 - 2001 = 5 years

Nintendo Game Boy Pocket: 1997 - 2001 = 4 years

Nintendo Game Boy Color: 1998 - 2001 = 3 years

Nintendo Game Boy Advance: 2001 - Presesnt = ? years

Nintendo Game Cube: 2001 - Present = ? years

As you can see, Nintendo 64 was around for a long time, and the sales did fine. It lasted as long as Super Nintendo did. It may not be as popular with the RGP and "teen" crowd, but it was very successful. You want to point out mistakes... look at Virtual Boy... although personally I loved it...

On a side note... Some RPGs that Nintendo "founded" (meaning they got their start on a Nintendo System)

Final Fantasy.

Harvest Moon (although more of a sim type rpg)

Earthbound

Chrono Trigger (this and FF alone are the all time best rpgs..)

Star Ocean (never made it to English until Star Ocean 2 on psx...)

Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana series)

and more, but it's late and I haven't had my Tribes 2 fix yet.... :p

speaking of tribes 2... heh with that game, even the newest and best hardware you can't get it to run right.

Atari used to be my first game console...then first Nintendo was a gift for my b'day. Later I got Super Nintendo (that was my favorite) and also GameBoy portable. Now PS have changed my favor and I like PS since then. Now PS2 is out and I'll get it when I afford it for sure. Can't wait for GT3 and FFX :D

I'd want a PS2 because it has support for PSX games and that's good but i don't play that much games anyways. I am for sure going to get Xbox though. When i tested Halo on it, it won me over for sure. I couldn't help but decide to get one. I started playing games on the PC because of it and what the Xbox had to offer so there's my testiment. I've seen PS2 and GameCube gfx and i wasn't all that impressed. They all looked too catoony and plastic but some of the games i've seen so far on have some good lifelike colors... :)

Nintendos only really great products IMO are the original 8bit Nintendo, and the Gameboy.

The Gameboy has been reincarnated three times, and it still plays the same games that it did in 1988. Infact, when I was 6 or 7 I got one of the original Gameboys... and just last year, my 7 year old brother got a Gameboy Color... it transends generations.

Anyways, I probably won't buy an X-Box or Gamecube, but if I had to chose I'd take the X-Box hands down. I perfer to use my PC for gaming, because no matter the development limitations, there is still more that you can do with the PC than with the console. I've never been a big fan of console controllers, just give me a keyboard and a mouse ;)

im sticking my dollars in with PS2...

It allready has a large consumer case, larger than any other console.

Sony has the ability to lock down unique titles that are awsome.. GT3, GTA3, MGS, the list goes on.

Pretty much anything available for Xbox will be available for PC...

Have you ever seen graphics like halo has? no, why? because the people who make the games have to think about all of the people out there who have ****ty computers, computers with TNT2ultra cards, and Pentium II's. the makers have to tone everything down, ****ty textures, they have to design the game to be customizeable for the user's system. in the console world the makers know what they have to work with and can optomize the games for it. I say the makers of pc game cut the crap and say anyone who doesn't have a geforce 3 and atleast a P-III 1ghz by now, should sod off and frign get one so they can play their games.

Sure there is the question of money, but that is where XBOX comes in. the console doesn't have any special P4 2ghz in it, but it doesn't need it. the games are the only pull on resources so you get the best gameing experience. for $300 you are getting a great package. playing halo with dolby digital surround sound i almost died. Dolby Digital kicks the crap out of EAX and computer positional sound. take a tip, if you have a home entertainment system, or a nice tv, then get XBOX, because i can tell you it won't disapoint you.

Originally posted by iraklis2000

Every 2 minutes(estimated), the game would freeze. i though it was my bad luck, but then I walked by and tried to watch some kids take a crack at it. They were never able to play more than 3 plays(NFL Fever), it would just freeze. I don't know if the display case had anything to do with it(enclosed for security), but the PS2 was in an identical display case, with a line of kids waiting to play.

it does that because they leave the systems on all day non stop with people playing with it all day. sometimes forgetting to turn it off at night.

• 1 month later...

Straying from the 1st post... but hell I would sure love a X-Box if anyone don't want their's! Even tho I have a pretty good PC system by today's standards, I would like to have a console, if not consoles lying around so I can play it when I am bored, etc. Heck, I don't think anyone will mind if they can own a GameCube, PS2, and X-Box and a top of the line PC. What would they have to complain? If you don't like this game, then play something else, if you don't like the system, you can play another system, etc etc.

Oh and by the way, when all your good 'ol buddies crash your crib, I don't think you'll have them surrounded around the computer watching a person play, right? Mostly likely it's bust out the cosoles and play a lil nice sports game, racing game, etc right?

GT3 and FFX kick ass.. FFX has a wicked story line so far. :) Hehe.. Also, some info from the past posts I have read in this thread.. The XBox "Green screen".. If ya look at the top left, notice "XDK"?? It's the Xbox Development Kit.. Deliberately done only for debuggers and someone took a pic to make it look bad.. Secondly.. Emulation and N64 on PC's and XBox emulation.. The N64 System was a RISC processor.. A lot harder to emulate with dedicated processors.. The Xbox on the other hand is an INTEL PC CPU.. Therefore, can be and WILL be emulated. Some people already cracked the bios to make bootable DVD-R's of some games.. And some people ahve got the passwords to change the HDD's in the systems.. It is a nice system and very easy to crack/patch.. :) Look at the dreamcast.. :) Haha.. If ya have the cash, get an XBox.. If not and ya have a PC.. Wait for an emulator.. It's not far away.. :)

so, i didn't read all the replies... BUT

the greenscreen says "FAILED TO LOAD EXECUTABLE"

SINCE WHEN THE FUCK IS THAT A CRASH?

try inserting a pc-cdrom in a PSX or PS2... they will go and say something similar.