• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How many of you switched back to XP?

218 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Orange Battery    393

I sometimes wonder how people can be so extremely happy with Vista but then I remember all those people who beta test things like windows themes or who change their desktop wallpaper once a week and present it like they have just created a piece of art.

Im not someone who gets excited over chunky see through themes, the XP ui was never complicated to me and so making it even simpler seems a waste of time, and to be honest if i want to edit a photo or create a gallery Im going to want software that gives me more then 5 simple options and nothing else. Bells and whistles may attract a lot of people but I don't think its anything to show off about. An OS with an option for a lot more control and detail would have had me lining up to purchase but right now Vista - (The OS that even the family pet can use) is a waste of time for me.

freak_power    0

It all depends what do you use Vista for. I have running Home Basic on my other machine and for what i'm doing there it's great. My primary gaming rig...nope stick with XP

Chris Allen    0

I had the RTM, all the drivers weren't updated, so things didn't run as perfectly as I was hoping. I'm not going to buy it because I'll be switching to a Mac :)

notuptome2004    177
Back to XP for me. I find Vista irritating to use and it does nothing for me that XP can't.

Name me something in vista that XP CAN DO and i mean somthing that does not requier 3rd party software or simulation or emulation of any kind.

jporter    88

Vista is in one word, GREAT. To bad nvidia ****s up. That's the reason I have dual boot and am doing stuff on XP. but bravo ms ! :)

Phemo    47
I assume you didn't buy it then? Sounds to me like you didn't have a very open mind.

That's right, I didn't buy it. I actually have a legitimate Business Upgrade license and I had ran several builds before. I've actually been using Vista on and off for months now. I tried but I just don't like it and I don't plan on going back to it until I have no choice.

I've normally always run the latest Windows version wherever possible, even struggling on with Windows XP betas when it really wasn't ready for full-time use but that time, for me, has come to an end with Vista.

I could list my reasons why I don't like it but this isn't really the thread to do so. What I'm trying to say is that I've used Vista for a long time, I'm legitimate (without spending a penny admittedly) and I still dislike it.

Oh yes, and the current crap Creative and nVidia drivers don't really do much for me right now. I will re-evaluate the situation eventually, but right now it's not for me.

Name me something in vista that XP CAN DO and i mean somthing that does not requier 3rd party software or simulation or emulation of any kind.

What are you talking about? Something in Vista that XP can do without requiring 3rd party software? That's a bit stupid, is it not? How about ... browse the Internet, or play music files, videos what about providing a stable platform for applications - that's something both XP and Vista do offer. I believe the point you were making is that Vista offers many new features over XP which I am not disputing (and never have). I just personally don't need any of those features right now.

Edited by Phemo

Niels.    2

I had this offtopic comment to say:

Btw, how are the Ati drivers for vista?

Inplode    0

vista on all 3 of my pc's

McNipz    0

I dual-boot. Been using Vista for almost a month now mostly, ever since the 100.30 drivers were leaked.

Some games don't work in Vista yet. Like Company of Heroes and Need for Speed Carbon, but I heard Company of Heroes is getting a DX10 patch.

Other than those 2, the other games run fine, not as fast as XP, but very playable. WoW, Oblivion, GRAW, R6: Vegas all work fine.

I had to switch to 32-bit Vista from 64-bit because I kept getting hdd corruptions. Nvidia just released a new BIOS that's "WHQL Vista Certified" so I might give 64-bit one last try.

notuptome2004    177
That's right, I didn't buy it. I actually have a legitimate Business Upgrade license and I had ran several builds before. I've actually been using Vista on and off for months now. I tried but I just

What are you talking about? Something in Vista that XP can do without requiring 3rd party software? That's a bit stupid, is it not? How about ... browse the Internet, or play music files, videos what about providing a stable platform for applications - that's something both XP and Vista do offer. I believe the point you were making is that Vista offers many new features over XP which I am not disputing (and never have). I just personally don't need any of those features right now.

ell i could argue that OSx and linux do the same stuff can they not. it is common sense 99.9% Oses out ther can do those 3 Basic things and have for a long time but what i was stating from your comment is that you stated there is NOTHING in vista 1 word Nothing in vista that XP cant do and that is all you stated you did not say to what extent you meant . so i figured you was implying vista as in all ll the features including all the new Frameworks it runs on and stuff. so my mistake, but Evan them features in vista you had mentioned you meant are far more Advanced in many ways that in witch XP they are not but anyways hey sorry my mistake for miss reading you

Lasker    0

I switched to Vista and never look back to XP, I am very happy with Vista :yes:

Berto    0
I sometimes wonder how people can be so extremely happy with Vista but then I remember all those people who beta test things like windows themes or who change their desktop wallpaper once a week and present it like they have just created a piece of art.

Im not someone who gets excited over chunky see through themes, the XP ui was never complicated to me and so making it even simpler seems a waste of time, and to be honest if i want to edit a photo or create a gallery Im going to want software that gives me more then 5 simple options and nothing else. Bells and whistles may attract a lot of people but I don't think its anything to show off about. An OS with an option for a lot more control and detail would have had me lining up to purchase but right now Vista - (The OS that even the family pet can use) is a waste of time for me.

My sentiments exactly. :yes:

DavidGP    0

No, as I had been part of the techbeta testers for near 18 months I have been through all its quirks and issues and as it worked fine for what I needed it for on my test PC, I have since upgrades my desktop and installed Ultimate and migrated my laptop to Vista too.

I have no issues, sadly same lack of full and non buggy drivers and software affected XP when it was first released, one of the pitfalls of being an early adopter is that you have some hair pulling out days for at least 6 months before things settle, you tweak the system how you like it adn more software and games get compatability updates.

null_    4

I'm on Windows XP because of many reasons:

• Lack of proper SLI support for GeForce 7 Series graphics cards right now.
  • Lack of decent drivers for my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi.
  • I'm affected by the "Windows Vista will not start with over 3 GB RAM" issue which will be fixed in Service Pack 1 (the workaround at this point is to take 2GB of RAM out, install the KB929777 Hotfix, and then put the RAM back in - which is a pain in the arse for what it's worth).
  • Several applications aren't fully compatible with Windows Vista at this point.

People keep calling me stupid for staying on Windows XP... well sorry for wanting my computer to actually work at this point :p I'll probably wait until Service Pack 1 so I can actually install it, by then the drivers should be more mature.

DavidGP    0
People keep calling me stupid for staying on Windows XP... well sorry for wanting my computer to actually work at this point :p I'll probably wait until Service Pack 1 so I can actually install it, by then the drivers should be more mature.

Dont think that is stupid at all, I call it being sensible, stability is what many want and need in a PC, I have been asked this question many times..... is Vista a need to have app? NO as XP will do what the majority of people want at this point in time, but in 6 - 12 months time Vista will be a viable upgrade to XP,

Mordkanin    225

Well, ATI added OpenGL support, and games don't seem to be crashing on me....

tony-inpo    1

I'm sticking with vista (Y)

I have a 9600 and when I install the drivers they break areo and windows complains that the driver is not functioning properly and that I have the wrong one installed (I don't I've checked) :/

stockwiz    7

nah... I noticed there's a lot of very impatient people out there who demand "instant gratification" ... and can't wait one week for something to come out or change or whatever... I'm not one of them and vista has worked very well for me, in fact I've purchased a copy.

P.M.K    18

I've been using Vista for months at home. Won't be switching back.

It's unfortunate that I have to use XP at work.

MDboyz    670
I dual-boot. Been using Vista for almost a month now mostly, ever since the 100.30 drivers were leaked.

Some games don't work in Vista yet. Like Company of Heroes and Need for Speed Carbon, but I heard Company of Heroes is getting a DX10 patch.

Other than those 2, the other games run fine, not as fast as XP, but very playable. WoW, Oblivion, GRAW, R6: Vegas all work fine.

I had to switch to 32-bit Vista from 64-bit because I kept getting hdd corruptions. Nvidia just released a new BIOS that's "WHQL Vista Certified" so I might give 64-bit one last try.

Are you talking about Company of Heroes and Need for Speed Carbon in Vista x64?

In x86 Vista, the Company of Heroes works fine. For Need for Speed Carbon, rename the movie folder to something else or delete it, then the game runs fine tho.

UncleSpellbinder    17

I've been using Vista (RC1, Build 5600) since I recieved the DVD's via CPP. I've since reformatted my drive in November and have been using Vista as my primary OS ever since. Zero problems, except for the few I created myself for lack of experience/knowledge of Vista. All of which were easily fixed in the end. I've got all my "important" files backed up on an external drive and will be getting Home Premium in March.

Bye-Bye XP. :D