• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Youth suicides on the rise

Hum    6,933

CHICAGO - New government figures show a surprising increase in youth suicides after a decade of decline, and some mental health experts think a drop in use of antidepressant drugs may be to blame.

The suicide rate climbed 18 percent from 2003 to 2004 for Americans under age 20, from 1,737 deaths to 1,985. Most suicides occurred in older teens, according to the data ? the most current to date from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

By contrast, the suicide rate among 15- to 19-year-olds fell in previous years, from about 11 per 100,000 in 1990 to 7.3 per 100,000 in 2003.

Suicides were the only cause of death that increased for children through age 19 from 2003-04, according to a CDC report released Monday.

Some mental health experts believe suicide prevention programs and effective use of treatment including drugs and therapy contributed to the decline in suicides that occurred in the 1990s.

Diagnosing depression:

Persistent sad or anxious mood

Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism

Feelings of guilt or worthlessness

Loss of interest in hobbies or activities

Fatigue or decreased energy

Difficulty concentrating or making decisions

Insomnia or oversleeping

Changes in appetite or weight

Thoughts of death or suicide

Restlessness or irritability

Headaches or chronic pain

more

Lemonzest    0

So Darwin's still working? that's good to see :)

Sethos    270

:rolleyes:

post-131993-1170779710.jpg

Kushan    27

I come from Northern Ireland, suicide rates there were as high as 26 per 100,000 and I don't think they're getting any less.

ThePitt    199

how old are the guys from My Chemical Romance? :p

kombolcha    11

:laugh: i expected, maybe, one comment to make fun of this, but i guess i got beaten by four people...

There's a simple answer to this increase in youth suicide... the emo rate has also risen.. it's like 1 + 1 = 2. DUH!

revvo    21

On a serious note, Suicide is always a sad thing.

On a more comical note, I guess we can create an equation to represent this:

- N x EMO = 0 where N is the number of people and EMO is the variable that plagues N.

Mouldy Punk    11
surprising increase in youth suicides

Not so much surprising as totally predictable.

Shetland    5

I would have thought people would have been a BIT more sensitive with the jokes but I guess that's Neowin for you.

I dunno if it is all this rubbish Emo music that's doing it to be honest, it's one thing self harming but another thing entirely to end one's life.

In any case I feel sorry for those who resort to this, we all need someone to pull us out of bad times - maybe it's that people are less caring to their friends now.

Marduk    1

Blame EMO PLEASE blame emo! Its our chance to start to get rid of that retarded sub culture. Also hopefully they can blame myspace that crap needs to die too.

bibutteryboy    0

if the youth of today would actully get out of thier house and enjoy life then the percentage would fall.

Instead they sit in front of thier computers, sit in front of thier gaming console or sit in front of thier tv. No interaction makes for a very lonely life.

Skiver    1,959

I dont understand how some of you people can actually joke at this, i mean their are people out their... KIDS who are so unhappy they feel the only way they can end their suffering is to end their lives and you start with all this emo crap? i mean usually im all up for a joke on neowin and dont take stuff to heart but come on people... show a little compashion for something you will hopefully never have to go through or understand!

blaming **** like sitting at a computer all day is pointless here too... you cant know thats why these kids are doing it! alot is to do with bullying these days! i was bullied a few times at school and im telling you know, their is no words to comprehend what its like going into a lesson in fear that one person might have decided to come in that day... imagine what its like to be queitly sitting and getting on with your work for suddely their to be a fist in your back with a voice saying in going to get you after school... jesus i even changed my route home because i didnt want to bump into him... yes looking back i should have spoken to someone about it and not let things go on but at the time the reprucusions of doing that seem overwelming! so please... take your ignorant comments and shove them up your ignorant arse and dont bring them here!

yes their are some stupid twits in the world that think because their parents didnt buy them that bycycle last week they are gonna dress in black, put funny makeup on and say they want to kill themeselves but come on, thats just attention whoring and nothing more! these are real issues here people

Lawrens    0

Kids are easy to manipulate, none of everyone were born with an innate idea of right and wrong, or what to actually do with their lives to make themselves 'happier' or better, so yes I think they *should* know better, but a lot of them actually don't.

Who's fault is it that they weren't taught to think and know better?

Kids at the age of 15 should at least know how to think for themselves, but nope a lot of them don't.

maybe it's that people are less caring to their friends now.

We don't need to care about them nowadays, ever since the word emo was invented :pinch:

Edited by Lawrens

Napalm Frog    13

Most of the anti-emo people here are kids themselves, who really look down on the subcultures of their peers. Okay, i know many adults don't like the subculture either, but I'm pretty sure we aren't wishing the death of our friends' kids. What type of sick people are we to want that to happen? This is bordering on condoning genocide of a sort, and frankly, I am quite sick and tired of it.