(UK) No HDMI - bad?

Okay, I want to buy a new TV, HD of course. I am in the UK, and I won't be watching a lot of HDTV (don't have Sky HD, etc). I was going to get a ?300 TV from Argos that has HDMI, but my Dad can get a ?120 one that has DVI(HDCP). Is losing HDMI not as bad as I am making it out to be? The UK isn't very HD-ified yet, but I want to make sure that if I get this TV that it's ok. I'm thinking of buying a 360 soon. 360 only currently has component cables anyway, right?

I'm at a bit of a loss for some reason (I'm not stupid, but I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to TVs. I know HDMI is more advanced and would be good to have, but is losing it a bad thing?

Is it likely that hardware move away from DVI? What I mean is I can just buy things that are DVI compatible, right?

HDMI one: Bush LCD26TV022HD HD Ready 26in LCD TV.

The one I have (yes, I've decided to buy it based on the price I am getting it for): Samsung SyncMaster 940MW

I have decided to buy the one I have because I am getting a good price on it (I won't go into specifics). The 360 has compnent cables, and I'm not fussed about Blu-Ray/HD-DVD right now.

If it does come down to DVI not being used 3+ years down the line, I won't mind buying a new one. But the HDCP will keep me compatible for the meanwhile?

What will I be using DVI (or not being using due to no HDMI), other than consoles and HD film media?

I'd def go for a HD tv with at least 1 HDMI port! Keep checking back to

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/422515/art...-televisio.html

and get one of them whenever you can :) great TV for the money!

Just don't get it from pixmania.co.uk, alot of people have had so much trouble with them.

Check the pricerunner.co.uk retailer forums.

I for one have had no problem with Pixmania ordered stuff from them many times.

With regard to HDMI and DVI(HDCP). Whilst it is always better to have HDMI simply because of the support it has and you dont have to buy a DVI(HDCP) to HDMI convertor cable and audio cables, its not essential. As long as the DVI supports HDCP you'll be fine. DVI can is more than capable of displaying HD content. Just remember that DVI only supports video so you will have to set up the audio by another type of connection.

Pixmania are fine til you get something you aren't happy with and have to send it back, then you are short on your delivery costs. If you don't mind being refunded short go with pixmania, if you want your basic consumer rights satisfied then go with another company - e.g. Comet, Currys.

Sure you will pay more with them, but at least you know you won't lose money if you need to send it back.

I sent a TV back I wasn't happy with, I was refunded ?30 short, they told me that they don't refund delivery costs. I spent ?16 sending the TV back, 16+30 = ?46 spent on postage alone. They also sell stock from european countries, they are based in France and often send out electrical equipment with a european plug, and often without chargers for items like ipods and cameras.

If you don't believe me just check the pricerunner forums.

The Samsung one (which I now have, by the way) doubles as both.

And to kraized: if DVI only handles video and not audio, what port would I expect to be using for it? On my TV, it has 3 ports grouped under the header 'DVI/PC IN' (as it doubles as a PC monitor as well), and then under that it has 'DVI(HDCP)', then VGA, then Audio. The RG8 and Audio ones are the ports found on monitors, so I'm guessing that they wouldn't be used. The other ports on the TV are: RGB (Freeview is plugged into this), Component In (5 port) and then there are the Scart + S-video ports on the side of the TV, which are currently used by my PS2 (S-video).

The Samsung one (which I now have, by the way) doubles as both.

And to kraized: if DVI only handles video and not audio, what port would I expect to be using for it? On my TV, it has 3 ports grouped under the header 'DVI/PC IN' (as it doubles as a PC monitor as well), and then under that it has 'DVI(HDCP)', then VGA, then Audio. The RG8 and Audio ones are the ports found on monitors, so I'm guessing that they wouldn't be used. The other ports on the TV are: RGB (Freeview is plugged into this), Component In (5 port) and then there are the Scart + S-video ports on the side of the TV, which are currently used by my PS2 (S-video).

Personally for audio I would use a separate surround sound system. Disable the speakers on your TV if needed and then connect the Digital/Optical/SPDIF output from your Freeview or Sky box to the sound system. Of course you can just use the standard red/white audio ports and connect that way.

When you want to connect up a HD box eg. Sky HD make sure its connected to the DVI(HDCP) port otherwise you wont be able to view HD content. You will also need a DVI > HDMI convertor cable because I don't think Sky HD boxes have DVI ports on them, only HDMI.

Come To Comet :D I work there ill get you a good deal ;), but no seriously you wanna go to a decent high street shop, for one theres the convenience of not waiting, and you generally find nowadays that you only save around 10-20? online 99, not worth it imo.

HDMI is just a smaller DVI cable which is able to support only a few resolutions and carries additional wires for sound. If the DVI has HDCP support, thats as futureproof as having an HDMI cable. Sound will probably be connected via SPDIF or optical, depending on your A/V equipment.

Is it likely that hardware move away from DVI? What I mean is I can just buy things that are DVI compatible, right?

HDMI one: Bush LCD26TV022HD HD Ready 26in LCD TV.

The one I have (yes, I've decided to buy it based on the price I am getting it for): Samsung SyncMaster 940MW

Whatever you do, do NOT get that Bush one. I bought it and it's terrible; double/blurred picture, incorrect resolution (it stretches everything for some reason), and crap brightness, can barely see most things while playing 360 it's so dark.

Quickly sent it back and got a decent brand (Philips), none of the aforementioned problems.

Infact, I'd recommend you stay away from any cheap make LCDs.

• 2 weeks later...