• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Anybody regret installing vista on thie pc

Memesa    0

Just installed Vista Business for a few days and had a few problems, Ultramon is having some problems sometimes but most of all is the backdrop in performance for games. I still don't know if I keep Vista on, might switch to XP again (having dualboot) and continue with vista later when the drivers are better and Vista will generate less lock-up's.

Yogurth    2,222

I don't regret installing it, since I'm in IT, but I did switch back to XP after two weeks...Vista simply isn't ready yet. I have no idea if it will be any better with SP1, but since service packs did not offer speed or functionality upgrades of already existing features in the past, I can't expect that SP1 will fix Vista, since not only bugs and speed problems are palguing Vista.

Microsoft is I take it aware of this and from what I hear completely new OS from MS will come as early as in 2009. That means that Vista will be MS primary OS for only 2 Years..this in return means that XP will in 2009 still be better supported than Vista and paying now serious money for a short living OS does not seem to be a smart move, imo.

Mike Coscia    0
I don't regret installing it, since I'm in IT, but I did switch back to XP after two weeks...Vista simply isn't ready yet. I have no idea if it will be any better with SP1, but since service packs did not offer speed or functionality upgrades of already existing features in the past, I can't expect that SP1 will fix Vista, since not only bugs and speed problems are palguing Vista.

Microsoft is I take it aware of this and from what I hear completely new OS from MS will come as early as in 2009. That means that Vista will be MS primary OS for only 2 Years..this in return means that XP will in 2009 still be better supported than Vista and paying now serious money for a short living OS does not seem to be a smart move, imo.

Source? And XP was just as buggy when it first came out I had the same issues with it when upgrading from 98.

bibutteryboy    0

so the people who are having issues with Vista and are considering going back to XP, let me ask, did you purchase Vista or is this a trial version. I can't understand how someone could spend that kind of money and then decide to waste it by going back to XP.

iSimx    0

^^ well it is a waste of money, but I would rather have a working system that is reliable. In vista, I couldnt even listen to an audio cd without the whole sound going.

and yes I tried getting help and new drivers etc, but nothing worked. of course that wasnt the only problem. I would much prefer to use vista, but if it doesnt work - then nothing I can do about it.

Yogurth    2,222

Most people here got it through MSDN copy for being a subscriber or beta tester, as I did. I do not pay my subscription though my company does so I really can toss it away till ready since it did not cost me a dime.

as for source of upcoming 2009 Windows OS, here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128888-c...rn/article.html

Deihmos    154

Everything works perfect for me with Vista Ultimate 32bit. All my programs run fine and games like Battlefield 2142 play just as good as XP. Those having problems are probably using the 64bit version or a pirated copy which was modified.

Asus P5N-E SLI (650I chipset)

Intel E6600 2.4 ghz

2x Seagate 7200.10 250gig hard drive raid 0

EVGA 7950GT

2 gigs Corsair DDR2-800 Memory

Creative X-FI Fatal1ty

Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers

freak_power    0
Everything works perfect for me with Vista Ultimate 32bit. All my programs run fine and games like Battlefield 2142 play just as good as XP. Those having problems are probably using the 64bit version or a pirated copy which was modified.

Asus P5N-E SLI (650I chipset)

Intel E6600 2.4 ghz

2x Seagate 7200.10 250gig hard drive raid 0

EVGA 7950GT

2 gigs Corsair DDR2-800 Memory

Creative X-FI Fatal1ty

Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers

:sleep:

Tiger.Girl    1

I regret it and I switched back to XP. The software compatibility issues are not worth it and drivers aren't up to par. Never before have I switched back or "downgraded" after I have upgraded in the past (98 2000 or XP). There are no benefits to sticking with Vista and waiting for all the issues to work out.

Deihmos    154

I tried a pirated copy and i had some minor issues then i found out it was modified. Since i am using the retail version I had 0 problems plus 64bit is not as stable as the 32bit version. I will use 64bit when all applications are 64 bit or at least most.

bobbba    9

Your :sleep: ing because someone is saying that Vista works ok for them and that doesn't fit well with with your Vista sux stories, sad :yes:

freak_power    0
Your :sleep: ing because someone is saying that Vista works ok for them and that doesn't fit well with with your Vista sux stories, sad :yes:

I don't have any 'sux stories' about Vista. To be real Nvidia drivers suck badly, and this guy probably can't tell the difference which is sad. It has nothing do with Vista anyway...

I didn't say that Vista doesn't work ok. It works ok, but some essential features, look and feel etc, compatibility blows big time.

drumthrasher109    0

HELLZ NO I DONT! vista is great! except the price ($144), but hey idk if its worth it, but its way better than xp.

Tiger.Girl    1

Probably not. I think it sucks if Vista works like crap for someone and all a person can do is cry pirate or blame it on the users "stupidity". Just because an OS can run Battlefield 2142 along with some other basic software just fine for one user doesn't mean it can do everything for everybody.

martym    0

So vista maybe a bust for dx9c games and maybe all gamming. Why is microsoft bragging about vista gaming ability. If vista is so good why does microsoft want to replace it in maybe 2 years. We should maybe wait for vistas replacement.

*WhatUKnow?*    0

Maybe Vista is being pushed more for Direct X 10 gaming over DX9. DX9 games work in varying degrees (for now its mainly driver issues). Think of it like trying to play a random Xbox title on a 360 or a random PS1 or PS2 game on a PS3, simetimes its just hit and miss, sometimes inbetween. but the new stuff should make up for it.

I am Reid    45
So vista maybe a bust for dx9c games and maybe all gamming. Why is microsoft bragging about vista gaming ability. If vista is so good why does microsoft want to replace it in maybe 2 years. We should maybe wait for vistas replacement.

You mean they want to replace vista in 2-3 years like they have done with every single OS they have ever made except for XP. Is that what you are saying?

1.0 - 1985

2.0 - 1987

3.0 - 1990

3.1 - 1993

95 - 1995

98 - 1998

2K - 2000

ME - 2000

XP - 2001

Edited by reidtheweed01

Xerxes    227

If I ever got around to purchasing Vista (which I nearly did) I would of regretted it instantly unfortunately :( Overall I'm quite impressed with Vista, it (Beta 2 and RC-1 builds) run great on my system (with Aero Glass) and even with the application compatibility issues and the fact Dx9 games seem to run a tad slower in Vista I was ok with that.

Then when I tried to play a simple DVD, I get a out of memory error (I got 1Gb of RAM) and this happens everytime I try to play a DVD. So I decided to stick with XP, if I need more then 1Gb of RAM to play a simple DVD then I'm sticking with XP till I get a new computer I think.

Sockie    0

No. Vista works for me.

Just today I plugged in my old HP 1210 multifunction printer / scanner / coffee machine maker? and it was detected and installed by Vista, no extra drivers required. It's a trend I'm used to now, good hardware support.

KanotixKrazy    0

My 2cents worth. Have RC2 since it was available and it performs OK but when it times out the end of May it's gone for good. I don't need an OS that decides what I can do. I'll use my Linux to do what I want to do.

DKAngel    314

lol linux to do what u want to do, until u want to game or do some actual real photo editing or sound editing etc etc

on the upside, im never going back to xp, its old its dated and seems back to front now

Dirty Dog    0
If I ever got around to purchasing Vista (which I nearly did) I would of regretted it instantly unfortunately :( Overall I'm quite impressed with Vista, it (Beta 2 and RC-1 builds) run great on my system (with Aero Glass) and even with the application compatibility issues and the fact Dx9 games seem to run a tad slower in Vista I was ok with that.

Then when I tried to play a simple DVD, I get a out of memory error (I got 1Gb of RAM) and this happens everytime I try to play a DVD. So I decided to stick with XP, if I need more then 1Gb of RAM to play a simple DVD then I'm sticking with XP till I get a new computer I think.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...7&SiteID=17

It is fixed in the RTM build apparently.

»X«    1
lol linux to do what u want to do, until u want to game or do some actual real photo editing or sound editing etc etc

(Y) lol

Anyway. Vista is a tough subject and its like marmite. You work it out.

WindowsOnIMac    0
(Y) lol

Anyway. Vista is a tough subject and its like marmite. You work it out.

I've never regretted installing ANY Microsoft OS. Never had any problems with them which the proper driver wouldn't fix.

Vista is the BEST by far of all Microsoft OSes yet.

I'll never go back to XP.

NOW if all the software manufacturers would kindly buy into Vista, I'll be completely happy.

McDaniel