Vista readyboost?

where can I buy flash memory USB for Vista in the future?

Thanks!

Gameboy1977 :)

I suggest you purchase a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB thumb-drive. It is more than fast enough for my ReadyBoost Cache.

I bought one through my Dell account, and it works great.

I have Dell Dimension E520 Core2 Duo (Intel 6300@1.83Ghz) w/2GB RAM (4x512mb)

I gave ReadyBoost half the Cruzer (leaving me with 2GB for transferring files, etc).

It does indeed make my desktop snappier in Vista Home Premium (clean install)

It was relatively inexpensive.

If you don't like the Cruzer, there are many others out there. But MAKE sure it is rated as fast as Microsoft says it needs to be. The majority of these thumb-drives are too slow for ReadyBoost. Search carefully when looking. No need to waste your money on a cheap, slow piece of s***, which will be useless for the ReadyBoost Cache.

Has anybody tried it with an sD card or other type of memory card yet? Every time I plug in my 2GB Sandisk sD card, it gives me an option for ReadyBoost. I'm wondering if the results are the same or comparable to using a usb flash drive.

Has anybody tried it with an sD card or other type of memory card yet? Every time I plug in my 2GB Sandisk sD card, it gives me an option for ReadyBoost. I'm wondering if the results are the same or comparable to using a usb flash drive.

i have heard positive results from it, but i know they aren't supported

Hi All,

I was wondering do you think it would be worth getting maybe a 1GB stick for my system, I currently have 4GB though the OS uses 1.2GB already for cache and other purposes. My system runs well but I?ve read on a few sites that it?s worth it no matter what your system specs are, I am also planning on upgrading to Vista 64bit in a few months or so, so basically what do you guys think?

Hi All,

I was wondering do you think it would be worth getting maybe a 1GB stick for my system, I currently have 4GB though the OS uses 1.2GB already for cache and other purposes. My system runs well but I?ve read on a few sites that it?s worth it no matter what your system specs are, I am also planning on upgrading to Vista 64bit in a few months or so, so basically what do you guys think?

it's useless for you, it's really meant for systems with like 2 gigs or less, works great with systems that have 512 or 1 gig

Hi All,

Yea 5Gb = major overkill...

in fact, 4Gb is pretty overki:rolleyes:yes:

Here ya go. I think Microsft was trying to help the hardware community with the upgrade requirements.

Do you happen to have 512 physical, but have 128mb dedicated to your graphics.

I tried my stick this morning (came later than expected) and it didn't seem to offer any speed increases over just using 2GB of RAM. Then when I put 4GB of RAM in my system (@ 1250MHz DDR2 T2) it actually decreased performance with applications taking longer to launch.

So overall, great for people with 512-1GB of main memory anything over that I don't recommend it. I was using X64 Ultimate with 2 and then 4GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM with a Corsair vista certified readyboost 1GB thumb drive. My benchmark of the drive brought 26MB/ps peak and 24MB/ps average using HDTune to benchmark the drive. Access times 0.6ms CPU utilisation 6%

I can't wait for my patriot xt 4gb usb flash drive to get here tomorrow. I have 2gb of corsair xms 3500LLPRO and since they don't seem to sell it anymore I can't upgrade to 4gb of ram. So I figured this was the next best thing to get.

Has anyone here tried using a SD or any other cards with a USB 2.0 card reader? Does it work?

Does it matter whether my USB stick is 1 GB or 2 GB? Does a bigger card mean the readyboost feature can store more on the card? I understand the speed of the cards are important, but I don't understand where the size of the card comes into play.

Has anyone here tried using a SD or any other cards with a USB 2.0 card reader? Does it work?

Does it matter whether my USB stick is 1 GB or 2 GB? Does a bigger card mean the readyboost feature can store more on the card? I understand the speed of the cards are important, but I don't understand where the size of the card comes into play.

I didn't try an SD card actually, but If it's fast enough, it'll work.

But as for the size, yes a larger USB stick will allow ReadyBoost to cache more files, thus it wont need to replace the old cached files when it needs more space, however I think the difference in speed will be little, a big difference will result from 512MB vs 1GB.

after using it a few days I can't say I notice any difference at all. Perhaps it's because I've got 2 gigs of ram, am already using a raptor, and have my page file on it's own pretty much empty drive not to mention games on their own drive.. nonetheless I thought I would report that I noticed no difference just in case others wanted to try this.

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/20.../02/615199.aspx

i've been using a 4gb patriot extreme with my 2gb of ram. when i fist asked it to use the thumbnail drive the computer was SLOW. but i checked taskmanager and saw it was writing something on the drive for about 2 min. ever since then, my computer has felt faster in 2d mode. as for gaming, well, if i had better drivers for my 8800 then i would be able to tell :p