Vista readyboost?

I didn't try an SD card actually, but If it's fast enough, it'll work.

But as for the size, yes a larger USB stick will allow ReadyBoost to cache more files, thus it wont need to replace the old cached files when it needs more space, however I think the difference in speed will be little, a big difference will result from 512MB vs 1GB.

Well I do have 1GB of RAM on my ultraportable laptop. I can get the 133x SD card for $5/6 CAD and I don't think I have much to lose if it doesn't work.

I'm running Vista Ultimate on a laptop with 512Mb RAM. If I put in a 512Mb Flash Drive and activate Ready Boost will I notice much of a difference?

I have 2 GB ram and 2 GB flash drive with readyboost. computer starts almost right away. as soon as i type in my login password the computer load in a sec. also some applications start right away.

I have 2 GB ram and 2 GB flash drive with readyboost. computer starts almost right away. as soon as i type in my login password the computer load in a sec. also some applications start right away.

what about loading up applications like photoshop?

So the reason for someone with 2gig ram, to buy a 2gig Flash Drive, is to save money from buying 2gig ram, and to speed up vista basically? Do you keep the flash drive plugged into your usb port 24/7?

Anyone tryed readyboost in vista yet? just read a small gamespot review and they showed readyboost being used, massive performance increase, just wondered if anyone on neowin has tried it? i havent got a spare drive to test with.

Whats the url to this review

I've only noticed a slight difference on systems with a GB or less of RAM.

Flash drives are faster then hard drives...

..at random operations. HDD's provide superior sustained transfer.

Don't be surprised if the 133X SD card fails to pass the performance tests for readyboost. I've tried three 1GB SD cards: 60X, 133X, and 150X. NONE of them qualified to work with readyboost. I've also tried three different USB sticks -- same result.

Go to this site (http://www.grantgibson.co.uk/) and look up the ReadyBoost Compatability List. It will tell you what memory works with ReadyBoost.

Well I do have 1GB of RAM on my ultraportable laptop. I can get the 133x SD card for $5/6 CAD and I don't think I have much to lose if it doesn't work.

Does the additional memory have to be more or equal to your existing RAM? E.g. Can you have 1Gb RAM with 512Mb USB? And can you have 512Mb RAM with 4Gb USB?

• 1 month later...

Just got myself one of these beauty's for ?30. I am going to use it for ReadyBoost for now, I think 4GB for ?30 is quite cheap, cheaper than RA:p:p! I currently have 1GB of main RAM, so I will report back if ReadyBoost seems to make things quicker.

Do you happen to have 512 physical, but have 128mb dedicated to your graphics.

I have 384MB Physical Ram, 128MB Ati Radeon 9600 Pro & a 512MB USB Thumbdrive for ReadyBoost.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2GB of ram and I'm using a 4GB thumb drive and everything is running smoothly...

The only issue is, I've had it setup like this since I installed vista so I don't know what my rig runs like without the readyboost...